Gardenia, Cape Jasmine, Gandharaj
Gardenia jasminoides

Family: Rubiaceae
Genus: Gardenia (gar-DEEN-ya) (Info)
Species: jasminoides (jaz-min-OY-deez) (Info)
Synonym:Gardenia angusta
Synonym:Gardenia augusta
Synonym:Gardenia florida
Synonym:Gardenia grandiflora
Synonym:Gardenia radicans

Cream/Tan

Flowers are good for cutting

By simple layering

Littleton, North Carolina

New Bern, North Carolina

Wilsons Mills, North Carolina

Youngsville, North Carolina

Beaufort, South Carolina (2 reports)

Bluffton, South Carolina

Hilton Head Island, South Carolina (2 reports)

Lexington, South Carolina

Lufkin, Texas

Mesquite, Texas

Willis, Texas

On May 1, 2015, daynewrose from Miami, FL wrote:

When I moved to the house, there was a wonderful but very sick gardenia bush trying to survive among a four feet high mass of overgrown wild grass. The plant, who is about 6 feet high now, was suffocated, yellow and all of the bad insect and fungus related issues you can imagine.
I became fixated on trying to save it, and after some important research both in the internet and with some local nurseries, I was able to care for it properly. thanks to God the wonderful gardenia flourished and is giving me masses of blooms to an unbelievable degree. I have counted about 32 blooms a day have to be picked up every day before the sun stains them, and the plant is still producing.
So, here is what I learned in this journey with my gardenia. 1) gardenia need to be planted away from th... read more

On Nov 27, 2014, 60Catullus60 from Lewisville, TX wrote:

Have I made a mistake?
I recently planted a dwarf gardenia in an area that will have great sun from mid spring thru mid fall.
My dilemma...only one to two hours of sun between now and mid spring.
Did I blow it?

On Jul 22, 2013, nathanieledison from Santa Rosa, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

People MUST know that gardenias are not sun lovers, they're heat lovers. Numerous times a week a customer will come in to the nursery I work at and ask, "Why is my gardenia yellow, I'm giving it plenty of sun!"

Errr. They thrive here in northern California in full to partial shade, I have one in a one gallon that receives NO sunlight (given that I DO fertilize it lightly) and it has fifteen flowers on it with some forty to come. Of course the further north, the more sun they can take, but generally in hot or even warm areas they like quite a bit of shade.

As for the scent, well...the only thing I've smelled that compares is either Michelia figo or M. x alba. You really can't beat gardenias for their scent. It's to DIE for

On Mar 6, 2013, Warmplace from Bonita Springs, FL wrote:

I have a Gardenia by my front door. It gets morning sun and is watered twice a week when the sprinklers come on. I planted it when the home was built in 02. The plant is more like a small tree now but very healthy. My problem is it has never bloomed!! I see those beautiful white blooms on the web site but never mine. I have tried bloom fert but nothing happens. What is wrong?

On Mar 25, 2012, Maggiepttrsn from College Station, TX wrote:

I am a new gardener, I don't have much experience under my belt. I am in the 8-9 zone.. I just got a Gardenia for my 20th birthday. It says full sun, and I have been keeping it watered (although not too much) and today I found that most the top leaves had all shriveled and even burned! The weather here in College Station (Millican, TX) is beginning to warm up exponentially, I wonder if the sun was just too much for this plant? If anyone has had a similar experience or has some advice, it would be greatly appreciated! P.S My gardenia is in a pot (big enough to support this gorgeous plant!) It is my favorite and I am so sad to see that I have hurt it :(

On Jun 12, 2011, major9181 from Kirbyville, TX wrote:

I NEED ADVICE ON WATERING MY CAPE JASMINE. IT'S ABOUT 20 YEARS OLD AND IS ABOUT 15 FOOT IN DIAMETER - VERY LARGE. WE ARE IN A DROUGHT AND I NEED TO KNOW ABOUT WATERING MY SHRUB. SOME OF THE LEAVES ARE TURNING YELLOW. I DON'T WANT TO LOSE MY SHRUB. ANY ADVICE ON HOW TO WATER AND HOW MUCH.

On Jul 13, 2009, khabbab from lahore
Pakistan (Zone 10b) wrote:

In lahore Pakistan it is an evergreen shrub. It blooms 2-3 times in year. Mostly in jul/Aug. Blooms are waxy yellowish and fragrant. Flowers are large and double/triple. It also has variegated variety which is slow growing. it needs partial sun and humus rich soil. I have it blooming in a clay pot in which it gives less blooms than in soil bed. It is called locally as gardenia flora.

On Apr 30, 2009, mcrousse from Holly Springs, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

Beautiful plant. It has survived multiple snowfalls and ice storms here in zone 7b with no problems, or even dieback. I do have issues with scale and whitefly, though, but a systemic insecticide takes care of that well. I have two. One gets runoff from the roof and it gets taller every year than the one spaced further away from the house.

On Aug 18, 2007, afp72 from Surprise, AZ wrote:

I have a very large plant in a patio pot. It has lucious green leaves and many buds. However the buds get quite large, then turn brown at the stem and fall off. What causes this? It gets morning sun for about 2 hours and then shade. It is watered reguarly with a irrigation drip system. Pleae tell me how to correct this. The area is in Surprise, Arizona. Very hot in midday but plant is shaded.

On Apr 26, 2005, spilut from Friendsville, MD (Zone 6a) wrote:

I live in Western Maryland and have just purchased a gardenia. I was wondering if I could plant this beautiful flower out side for the summer ?

On Apr 20, 2005, ChristineBBD from Harrison county, MO wrote:

I love Gardenias and have grown them for 10 years. I am in zone 7 (NC) and Gardenias aren't really recommended for this zone but I plant them on the south side of my house, protected from wind and they grow beautifully.

I have a tip to pass on for those who have a problem with the white flies that love Gardenias. The sap excreted by the white flies turns into a black, sooty mold layer on the leaves that is unsightly. If your gardenia suffers from this black layer, simply take a hose with a strong sprayer attachment and blast each individual leaf with a sharp stream of water. Hold each leaf in the palm of your hand as you blast the water onto the mold and it will peel this black layer right off. It does NOT harm the leaf at all, in fact your Gardenia will thank you with ... read more

On Apr 7, 2004, artellis wrote:

I have had great experience with growing this plant underneath the dappled shade of my Live Oak tree in Holiday, Florida (north of Tampa). The acidity provided by the oak leaves and the partial sunshine exposure seem to provide a comfortable home for the plant. Unfortunately, like magnolia blossoms, the white petals "stain" easily, but they add a great fragrance to the house.

On Jan 27, 2004, Jacquie from Spring, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

In piedmont NC, I struggled to keep it going the first year, but once established in a spot with three hours direct sun in early afternoon and bright shade for the morning and later afternoon, the bush shielded our trash cans from view and the scent was lavish, especially in late afternoon in the spring.

On Jan 26, 2004, Thaumaturgist from Rockledge, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

The name GANDHARAJ is the common name in India and it comes from 2 words:

GANDHA = smell
RAJ = King

On Jan 26, 2004, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

This plant is very pH sensitive. There is a group of them planted in front of a mall near here that suffers constantly with falling yellow leaves, and rarely bloom. The soil there is too alkaline, and the plants dont react well with it. As the soil gets old, the plants recover themselves a little and try to bloom... but then they fertilize it again with a high pH compound, and it starts all over again. The same mistake is done almost everywhere. I have seen only one strong Gardenia in my life, with big and strongly perfumed flowers and a thick foliage. If given good conditions to grow, this is a wonderful plant to have.

On Sep 26, 2003, broozersnooze from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

This is one of my favorites with it's beautiful frangrance & contrasting dark green leaves & snow white blooms.
The blooms make excellent car freshener, lingerie sachets & the like but my sister is highly allergic to the frangrance so I no longer have my bush.

On Apr 1, 2003, yalison wrote:

I have found a great trick to provide the proper soil pH requirement for my indoor Gardenia. The plant was a "gift" from my mother-in-law who couldn't figure out why the leaves had gone white.

I added a tablespoon of vinegar to a quart of warm water and watered the soil thoroughly. A couple of days later I added some blood meal and the leaves greened right up and it looks as though it may flower soon. Talk about an inexpensive cure!

On Mar 28, 2003, Maudie from Harvest, AL wrote:

This plant does very well in the acid soil of my garden. It roots easily in water for me.

On Mar 13, 2001, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Evergreen shrub with glossy bright green leaves and double cream or white, fragrant flowers that appear mid-spring to fall, depending on variety.

Some varieties ('Chuck Hayes' and 'Klein's Hardy') can both withstand colder temperatures (generally to 0 degrees F.) Gardenias are susceptible to whiteflies and aphids; make sure the plant can receive adequate airflow, and treat infestations immediately.

Plant in well-drained, acid soil, and feed every 3-4 weeeks during growing season with acid plant food, fish emulsion or blood meal.