Ruellia

Ruellia simplex

Family: Acanthaceae (ah-kanth-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Ruellia (roo-EL-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: simplex (SIM-plecks) (Info)
Synonym:Ruellia coerulea

Clarksville, Tennessee

Chandler, Texas

negative

On Oct 18, 2016, djohn1996 from Zephyrhills, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

While it's not fool-proof, just thought I'd share an idea that has helped me keep these great plants from spreading ... just bury them in pots. The variety I have is sterile so I don't have to worry about seeds, but I know from past experience that they also spread quickly and easily via runners (my apologies to whoever is stuck with them everywhere at our old house LOL). But this time I've had success planting them inside of pots with the rims 1-2 inches above the soil (then covered by mulch) and a 2-3 inch hole cut directly in the center of the bottom of each pot. The hole in the bottom directs more of the roots straight down, versus off to the side to develop runners. The top rim of the pot prevents any significant runners from shooting off to the sides, and makes it very easy to p... read more

On Sep 23, 2016, davidrowe from chandler tx,
United States wrote:

In 8b, evergreen perennial with attractive foliage and violet blooms, growing to 60". Once it is started, plan to like it because it is difficult to remove; must dig it up.

On Mar 28, 2016, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

This species both self-sows weedily and also spreads underground aggressively by rhizomes.

The Florida Exotic Pest Plant Council has listed this species as a Category l invasive, because it has been found to invade natural areas and displace native flora. The species is native to Mexico, South America, and the Caribbean. It has naturalized from Texas to South Carolina.

The accepted name for the species is Ruellia simplex. Synonyms include:
Ruellia brittoniana