Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Indigo Rose'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Indigo Rose

Liberty Hill, Texas

Amissville, Virginia

negative

On Jul 7, 2015, maxjohnson from Pompano Beach, FL wrote:

I'm here to defend this variety a bit since there are many people who say it is bland tasting, probably due to not letting it ripen enough or lack of sun hours. This variety is not for the impatient.

Here in Florida, this variety one is of the slower grower in my garden. Even though developed by OSU, I believe it benefit from a long growing season with lots of sun. It do not grow very tall and is sturdy, so from my experience a 6ft tall stake is enough and cages not required. It also doesn't seem to put out a lot of suckers so I never pruned the plant.

It is moderately productive. It takes a long time for the fruit to ripen, where the skin lose most of the purple and is almost red throughout, and the inside is deep red. If the inside is not yet deep red it won... read more

On Aug 19, 2014, grik from Saint Paul, MN wrote:

I tried this plant this year for the novelty. As others have noted, the flavor is not terrific. I found them to be somewhat watery. I agree the unripe fruits seem to sit on the vine a long time before ripening. I probably won't plant it again.

On Jun 2, 2013, papayaman from Los Altos, CA wrote:

The Indigo Rose plant produces tomatoes with a unique look, but the taste from my experience in 2012 was rather bland. Additionally, I was disappointed that these tomatoes took longer to ripen than I would have expected for a tomato of this size.

On Aug 29, 2012, gregr18 from Bridgewater, MA (Zone 6b) wrote:

These are very easy to grow and quite striking on the vine. The dark purple/black coloring of the fruit doesn't indicate ripeness but is caused by the anthocyanins reacting with sunlight. Parts of the tomato not expose to direct sun will turn red when ripe. Yield has been about average.

I've read bad comments on some websites about the flavor. If the fruit gets good and ripe, it gives a slight floral flavor when first bitten into, and the 'finish' is a little watery, but not terribly so. It isn't a great tasting tomato, but the flavor is quite a bit better than the average supermarket tomato.

On Nov 29, 2011, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Supposedly the darkest tomato developed thus far, very high in anthocyanins. 1-2 ounce cocktail sized fruits. Several folks here at DG have grown this one and commented on it, but this is first time I have seen it available commercially