Ice Plant
Delosperma 'Fire Spinner'

Family: Aizoaceae (ay-zoh-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Delosperma (del-oh-SPUR-muh) (Info)
Cultivar: Fire Spinner

Alpines and Rock Gardens

Groundcovers

Cactus and Succulents

under 6 in. (15 cm)

Orange

Violet/Lavender

Succulent

Allow cut surface to callous over before planting

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

From seed; germinate in a damp paper towel

Little Rock, Arkansas

Medina, Tennessee

Ogden, Utah

negative

On May 30, 2015, Rick1090 from Golden, CO wrote:

I planted two 4" pots late last summer. Buy late fall it had spread to about 4 square feet and had continued blooming throughout that time. It began blooming mid-May during Colorado's wet cold spring. It is now in full bloom so we'll see how long it lasts this year. Truly an outstanding plant here in Colorado's Zone 5.

On Apr 30, 2015, WatchfulEyes from Little Rock, AR (Zone 7b) wrote:

Blooming late April in Arkansas. Waiting to see how prolific and how long the blooming season will be.

On May 10, 2013, laurel1949 from surrey, bc

I planted 3 plants last summer (2012). They are planted in a sunny bed at my front side walk. They spread like crazy throughout the summer and filled in a 4 foot area looking nice and lush. No blooms last year, but they looked lovely --sort of nice succulent ground cover. It is now nearly the second week of May 2013 and they are just starting to bloom, and are going to be lovely. I live in Vancouver, British Columbia. I am going to try to root some and if that fails I will buy more. The soil where I planted was very sandy and south exposure shaded slightly with a pyramid cedar.

On Apr 11, 2013, Helio_trope from Colorado Springs, CO wrote:

I have gotten blooms with this plant, not as many as on the 'John Proffitt,' but it has bloomed some. The bloom time is earlier and shorter than my other ice plants.

On Mar 21, 2013, FlaFlower from Titusville, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

We have this in ornamental pots at work in all types of growing conditions, full sun, part-shade, makes a great thick ground cover but fails miserably when it comes to flowering, we have never seen a flower on it, probably never will by the looks of the comments here. I've just about given up on any plants offered by Monrovia, lots of hype, nice packaging but the plants must be grown is superb, very specific growing conditions, not a plant for the average home grower if you have to be so picky about every detail of the specifics to get a single flower. Not to mention if you trim it, it is very irritating to the skin and can make a person itch terrible. Easy to start if you like tiny thick green leaves as a very short dark green ground cover...that's all your going to get

On Aug 25, 2012, Cheryl8 from Monroe Township, NJ (Zone 7a) wrote:

Planted "Fire Spinner" in May. It is now the end of August and although it spread to 18", I have yet to see a flower on it. All my other Ice Plants are doing great, flowers galore. I agree with echinaceamaniac.

On Jun 25, 2012, echinaceamaniac from (Clint) Medina, TN (Zone 7b) wrote:

This plant hasn't bloomed any for me! All other Delosperma are blooming great, even ones I rooted from cuttings 2 weeks ago! The plant has failed to live up to the hype.