PlantFiles: Orange Daylily, Tawny Daylily, Ditch Lily
Hemerocallis fulva

Family: Hemerocallidaceae (hem-er-oh-kal-id-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hemerocallis (hem-er-oh-KAL-iss) (Info)
Species: fulva (FUL-vuh) (Info)

Synonym:Hemerocallis fulva var. fulva

» View all varieties of Daylilies

Early (E)
Reblooming (Re)

Flower Size:
Large (more than 4.5" diameter)

Blooming Habit:

Thumbnail #6 of Hemerocallis fulva by bob47

By Wandasflowers
Thumbnail #7 of Hemerocallis fulva by Wandasflowers

Negative limabean On Jun 20, 2013, limabean from Exeter, NH (Zone 5b) wrote:

I thought I was crazy when it occurred to me that these daylilies were multiplying faster and faster as I tried to dig them out. And where have my scores of other much more lovely daylilies gone? They have been convinced by this INVASIVE common daylily not to be showy. They joined ranks and reverted back to roadside refuse. Ugh.

Positive kenzie54 On May 7, 2013, kenzie54 from new glasgow

plant information was very informative.

Positive Gunvy0407 On Mar 30, 2013, Gunvy0407 from Glasgow, DE wrote:

I had two huge mulched areas on either side of my driveway that were so big that it would have cost a fortune to plant into regular gardens. I solved the problem by planting these lilies. I bought 100 little fans from http://www.classygroundcovers.com and planted them in late spring 2011. I was surprised that I got flowers that first year; it was blazing hot that summer with very little rain, and I didn't think they'd survive. Summer 2012, the foliage filled out thickly, providing a great ground cover, as well as pretty orange flowers. I am hoping that this year, after a good dose of fertilizer last week, they'll be even lovelier.

Positive KariGrows On Mar 18, 2012, KariGrows from New Lisbon, WI (Zone 4b) wrote:

I Love this plant for its ability to abide all sorts of weather , dogs digging it up , and come back for more.
Yes, it can be invasive if you dont have it in the right place, such as around an oak, encircled by a driveway, or in a ditch along side my driveway. Out here in the country (west central Wisconsin zone 4B ) it grows freely along side the roads and in old homesteaded farms. ...

Common or not, its still beautiful

Negative chattyartist On Mar 14, 2012, chattyartist from Clayton, NJ wrote:

This is an INVASIVE species that needs to be eradicated .. It should never be planted as it's on the DO NOT PLANT LIST .. The government spends too much money trying to get rid of plants that hare invasive .. Garden Centers should never sell this plant either!

Positive CrowMeris On Oct 28, 2010, CrowMeris from Greene, NY wrote:

This plant is perfect for areas that are neglected or difficult to tend. DO NOT plant in well-cultivated soil. DO NOT mix into your "regular" daylily border. I look at the Ditch Lily as a beautiful, useful weed - highly suitable for the right location, a nightmare in the wrong one - in the same class as Swamp Milkweed, New York Aster, and Sweet Joe-Pye Weed. Encourage and enjoy these plants on the wilder parts of your land, but don't invite them to put down roots in your "tame" beds.
-----------------------------
Mine grow over four feet tall - a bit more than noted in the description.

Negative cedar18 On Jul 3, 2010, cedar18 from Lula, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I have to chime in on the negative side because this plant does not play well with others! It will - quickly - choke out any neighboring hybrid daylilies and your mixed planting will all be orange ditch lilies. I have seen it happen multiple times.

I can see it has a place FAR away from any attempt at gardening but I would not want anyone to think they can use it as "part" of a garden. It will BE the garden, vanquishing all neighbors.

The latest 'victim' was a cousin who dug various colors (supposedly) of daylilies from my grandmother's garden, at her direction. What my grandmother did not realize is that the ditch lily had choked out those red, purple, yellow, and pink daylilies. The poor cousin (who dug these last year) had all ditch lilies to bloom! My grandmother DID have all those colors and has shared them with me over the years. So I promised the cousin divisions of guaranteed colors!

Negative Erutuon On Apr 23, 2010, Erutuon from Minneapolis, MN wrote:

Grows big, rarely flowers, and spreads into thick patches. Hard to dig out because of its big fleshy roots.

Positive mlaihome On Feb 18, 2010, mlaihome from Saratoga, CA wrote:

One of the old daylily species that are founded in China (Hunan, and North East provinces). Hardy and can grow in dry arid soil on sunny slopes. It is one of the food stables in Chinese cuisine, and can be used in fresh or in dry/debydrated form, for steaming or stir-fly with pork/chicken or fish and also for making of soup. They gather the flower buds before blooming. These buds are about 6-7 inches in length, light greenish yellow in color. It has a sweet taste after dehydrating.
Since daylily has many hybrid forms, the Chinese only consume Hemerocallis fulva Linn and Hermerocallis Citrina or use it for medicinal purposes and the rest of the species are found to be poisonous. Be careful not to eat any other daylily flower buds as it will cause diarrhea, stomache, etc food poisoning symptoms and can be life threatening as well. Because of its hardy nature, it can easily spread out and becomes a weed. For purpose of immaculate landscape, Hemerocallis fulva Linn. is not a plant to use.

Negative blomma On Dec 2, 2009, blomma from Wyoming, WY (Zone 4a) wrote:

Unlike the newer hybrid Daylilies, this one is weedy. It is hard to get rid of once it has taken hold. Any root left in the soil will eventually sprout. It duplicates itself by a large root growing horizontally under ground, then poking up 4-6" from the main plant.

This is a plant to grow where you don't care if it takes over. Great for waste areas. It is easy and carefree to grow, even drought resistant. It is pretty if you like orange. However, I would not grow it in the same border with hybrid daylilies due to its aggressive growth habit.

Positive littlelamb On Jul 10, 2009, littlelamb from Virginia Beach, VA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I know this is a common daylily here, but I still love it. We moved into my house 8 years ago, and there's a 5 x 20 strip of these daylilies. They have been reliable year after year and I've never done anything to them except rake the leaves out in the late winter. They are so easy to dig up and transplant elsewhere in the yard and will still bloom the same year.

Positive shadydame On Jun 22, 2009, shadydame from North Walpole, NH (Zone 5a) wrote:

When I moved into my house 4 years ago, there was a whole slopeful of these tiger lilies! They seem to appear in more & more places - even off-slope - every year! They are thriving in both part and full shade. Unfortunately, I seem to be having a problem with some kind of vine that appears in early summer that keeps strangling them; nevertheless, they still return in greater numbers each year! There have not been any drought, pest (the insect kind), or disease problems to date.

Positive Malus2006 On Jul 14, 2008, Malus2006 from Coon Rapids, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

One of the tougest of daylilies, it doesn't seed itself but can come up from pieces of roots (must have crown attached) and will still grows if you pull it up and throw it in a moist enough location (on bare rocks the heat and dryness will kill it). The red, variegated, yellow, double flower forms are just as aggressive as the orginal form though the variegated form tend to revert to green in tough conditions. The number one most common planted daylily species (stella d'oro and allies with grass - like foliages comes in 2nd place with all others a very very distant third place). A heirloom species that people often bring from one house to another even though they are rare in nursery nowaday because of their tendacy to thrive even when neglected - I have seen them in dry shade (never blooming of course and weak) to dry to mesic grassland conditions. Deer loves their flowers and will snacks on them. I have seen them on roadside in both urban and rural environment and like the other message, they are sterile so you can tell where old houses long gone used to be by the daylilies nearby. They are not native but due to their sterile conditons they are easily wiped out if they threaten rare plants if the top 6 inches of soil is removed along with the plants to remove any rhizomes or roots large enough to make new plants. I won't recommends them for mixed gardens with delicate plants or plants smaller than they are. They are best used as massed plants in tough locations like blvds, steep slopes, areas where deer roams, and area where they can be neglected but you have to keep a eye out for taller weeds as they are not a complete sun block - canada thistle tend to be a frequent problems in patches of tawny daylilies.

Positive donicaben On Jun 9, 2008, donicaben from Ogdensburg, NY wrote:

So pretty that I dug it up and planted it in my front yard around my mailbox. I HOPE it becomes invasive and fights the ugly weeds to the death!

Positive moma4faith On May 31, 2008, moma4faith from Huntsville, AL wrote:

We bought a home in October, 2007, and imagine my happy surprise when these beauties started sprouting up this spring. It feels like home, as these flowers have been in my family gardens for years. Very hardy and they are ready to be divided. I've never found them to be invasive, but they are usually planted against something like a fence or garage. I also have some red mixed in with the orange and need to get out there and see what is going on.

Positive Devilman_1965 On May 22, 2008, Devilman_1965 from Chillicothe, OH wrote:

The ultimate flower, a sure sign that it's summer! Sure, there are all the other varieties of daylily but my house wouldn't be "home" without a few clumps scattered about and a row somewhere along a fence or building ( a sloped garage or shed without gutters tends to create a perfect natural edge to keep a row contained). Availability, lack of disease/maintenance, and pretty blooms on tall scapes at the peak of the growing season make these a winner.

Long sunny days with hot, miserable nights...prime for catfishing, BBQ's, family gatherings/parties and (of course) orange ditchlilies. It just wouldn't be summer without these prolific friends on the invite list! (An old, old friend I appreciate both in the wild and my own landscape, they make me smile)

Negative Gabrielle On May 2, 2008, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

These will take over in no time, especially if you have well amended soil. My neighbor has them along the back fence, and it is a constant battle to keep them out of my garden.

Positive standinntherain On Nov 17, 2007, standinntherain from Liberty, WV (Zone 6b) wrote:

You'll find this beauty growing in ditches all along the roads in many parts of West Virginia. I love having them and always put up signs to make sure the state road workers don't cut them down! =) All the guys know if they cut it down on the farm they'll get in trouble!! lol The deer love eating them, but there are plenty to go around!

Neutral Mainer On Sep 19, 2007, Mainer from Durham, ME (Zone 3a) wrote:

Single form is fulva, triple form is Kwanso.

Positive JonthanJ On Jun 28, 2007, JonthanJ from Logansport, IN wrote:

Hemerocallis fulva "Europa" is a pod sterile triploid mule that almost never bears seeds. If you see it, people have spread the roots. Even inch-long pieces can develop into blooming plants busily spreading by underground shoots up to a foot long.
It does persist wonderfully. My parents inherited a bed in 1952 that is already budded for the 2007 season. Because it is pod sterile, the tall scapes are self cleaning. The scapes very rarely have even three branches, so they bud build and bloom over a relatively long season. Here the foliage fails after the last flowers in all but the wettest summers.
We have had accidential success overplanting it with the larger Snowdrops whose yearly cycle is complete by the time the Daylily's growth seriously starts up.

Positive grandma_deal On Jun 18, 2007, grandma_deal from Tulsa, OK (Zone 6b) wrote:

Beautiful, dependable.

Positive liebran On Jul 10, 2006, liebran from Valencia, PA (Zone 5b) wrote:

We have grown these two plants who have grown into many more offspring for over 25 years. They have always been the orange color--until this morning. I found one YELLOW flower in with the rest. What a surprise--mutation or what?? I don't know. Yes, they are prolific, but easy to care for and so pretty to look at on the hill. Will try to add the picture of some with the yellow one. Karen (aka liebran)

Positive lafko06 On Jul 7, 2006, lafko06 from Brimfield, MA (Zone 5a) wrote:

I have heard this plant can be invasive, however, in my yard, I have grown it in my pathway borders for 3 years and it does beautifully without taking over in any way. The other day, I dug up some on the roadway and put them in one of the backs of a garden bed. I love the vivid color and the ease of growing this plant.

Positive Sherlock_Holmes On Jun 25, 2006, Sherlock_Holmes from Millersburg, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

Since so little has been mentioned pertaining to the food value of this plant, I thought I'd mention something. The following is from The Encyclopedia of Edible Plants of North America by Francois Couplan, PH.D.

"Numerous Hemerocallis spp. are used as food in Eastern Asia, including H. flava and fulva.

The young roots are eaten raw. Older ones must be cooked.

The young shoots are edible raw.

The flower buds are eaten raw or slightly steamed. They are also pickled. They can be made into delicious omelettes.

The expanded flowers are eaten raw, fried, or added to soups as an aromatic thickener. They are often dried or preserved in salt, and must then be soaked in water before using. Wilted flowers are added to soups and stews."

And Edible Wild Plants of Eastern North America by Merritt Lyndon Fernald and Alfred Charles Kinsey states the following.

"The fully grown buds or the freshly expanded flowers of Hemerocallis fulva immersed in a batter of beaten egg, milk, flour, and seasoning and browned like fritters in oil or butter are a delicious and quickly prepared vegetable. They require only five minutes (long enough to brown, turned twice, on each side). The fleshy tuber-like roots, borne in clusters like dahlia-roots, boiled in salted water, taste like a blend of sweet corn and salsify."

Positive marclay On Jun 3, 2006, marclay from markleysburg, PA (Zone 5a) wrote:

Good filler for any hard to plant area. Have both the single and double Kwanzo which are beautiful. Dont find them invasive at all

Positive berrygirl On May 29, 2006, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I dug up some of these a few years ago that were growing on the side of the road. Though some folks consider them common and invasive, I don't find them to be. I think they are lovely, drought and deer- proof plants that require absolutely no care whatsoever.

Positive jamc100 On May 16, 2006, jamc100 from Kalkaska, MI wrote:

My Dad did not like these flowers. They were growing in several areas around the yard. He tried to mow them down, they came right back. Yeah, they are definately hardy. They've been in my parents yard as long as I remember, never been let down by them.

Positive billyporter On Mar 22, 2006, billyporter from Nichols, IA (Zone 5a) wrote:

I have Kwanso varigated. It comes up with cream and green stripes in the spring, and reverts to green durring the summer. It comes up with mostly green leaves in the spring, so I'm constantly digging and discarding them. Only a few come up varigated, so I can keep it under control.

Neutral prometheamoth On May 3, 2005, prometheamoth from Suffolk, VA wrote:

Grows everywhere, but you knew that already.
Just wanted to mention that even though it has invasive qualities, it also is a staunch survivor in VERY urban areas.

I was an Urban Park Ranger in New York City for many years and found this lily growing in the absolute worst conditions, where native species would not thrive. Where shrubby understory was torn out of the forests of Pelham Bay Park in the Bronx during the seventies (an uneducated, reactionary tactic to prevent crime!), these lilies have taken over and provide a thick green carpet with orange blossoms all summer, a pleasant surprise in NY! If the lilies were not there, people would be stomping all over the forest, compacting the soil and affecting drainage and ability for other plants to grow in this forest that supports several species of owls as well as other diverse species of wildlife.

So invasive? Yes. Bad? Not always...

Positive PurplePansies On Aug 5, 2004, PurplePansies from Deal, NJ (Zone 7a) wrote:

This is a good tough plant for a hard area..... most daylilies are but these are the hardiest but also the least showy...... they are nice for naturalistic settings or as I said..... or enmass for low maintenance........ the blossoms are delicious...... the species I think are the tasttiest...... the overall effect is like zucchini...... let the plants bloom so they look pretty then at sundown go an harvest them....... clean them out to make sure there' s no bugs in them...... don't eat the stem..... fry them up like zucchini blossoms....... also you can stuff them with ricotta for a sweet treat sprinkle them with powdered sugar or honey and flavored water...... h mmmmmm ....... They can grow easily by seeds and they can spread.... they're hardly invasive though..... a nice plant to have...... somewhere in your yard........ :)

Positive Lmichelle On Jul 14, 2004, Lmichelle from Salt Lake City, UT wrote:

I live in Utah and my Lillies are the only thing that want to grow. I love my lillies. I have also found that they enjoy grass and green fert. They say, flowers need a more phospherous fert., they like the nitro rich fert you would typically use on grass.(minus the broad leaf killer)

Positive GerryD On Jan 26, 2004, GerryD wrote:

Grows prolific in Edmonton, AB, Canada.

Positive ariusfelis On Jan 21, 2004, ariusfelis from Mobile, AL wrote:

It grows in Auburn, AL
and Mobile, AL

Neutral echoes On Sep 3, 2003, echoes from South of Winnipeg, MB (Zone 3a) wrote:

Hemerocallis fulva spreads underground and can cover a wide area over time. It is considered invasive by some, and will crowd out other plants close by. I would not use this daylily in a border, or as a feature plant, but the double form, 'Kwanzo' or 'Flore Pleno' (as in one of the submitted pictures)is nice in a natuaralized setting.

Positive bob47 On Jul 7, 2003, bob47 from Stone Mountain, GA wrote:

Prolific & hardy here in Zone 7. We've had them for several years and enjoy the brilliant orange/yellow shades.

Neutral smiln32 On Aug 30, 2002, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Where I grew up, this was called a railroad lily as it grew next to the railroad tracks that ran through our town. I dug some up this summer (in IL) and transplanted it back here in AL and it's just thriving.

Positive FL_Gator On Aug 30, 2002, FL_Gator from Dunnellon, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have grown this plant in Kentucky and in Zone 8b Florida (U.S.) and love it. This plant is very durable and hardy. In Florida it can rebloom under certain conditions. It goes dormant in both climates.

Neutral Terry On Mar 13, 2001, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

The common orange daylily has become widely naturalized in fields, hedgerows and along pools or stream. It will tolerate dry to moist soil, full sun to shade, producing orange or tawny-colored blooms from May-July. The tubers and unopened, green flower buds are both edible.

As popular and ubiquitous as it is, it's also considered an invasive pest in some areas; gardeners should be aware of their local guidelines before planting.

Logan Lake,
Villers-lès-nancy,
Auburn, Alabama (2 reports)
Center Point, Alabama
Cullman, Alabama
Glencoe, Alabama
Huntsville, Alabama
Madison, Alabama
Mobile, Alabama (2 reports)
Montgomery, Alabama
Traverse City, Michigan
Denham, Minnesota
Fridley, Minnesota
Hibbing, Minnesota
Minneapolis, Minnesota (2 reports)
Lyman, Mississippi
Glen Raven, North Carolina
Lake Toxaway, North Carolina
Mountain View, North Carolina
Westport, North Carolina
Bucyrus, Ohio (2 reports)
Dayton, Ohio
Channelview, Texas
Colmesneil, Texas
Conroe, Texas
Coppell, Texas
Dallas, Texas (2 reports)
Dalworthington Gardens, Texas