Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Butterfly Bush, Summer Lilac, Orange-eye Butterfly Bush 'Miss Molly'

Buddleja davidii

Family: Buddlejaceae
Genus: Buddleja (BUD-lee-uh) (Info)
Species: davidii (duh-VID-ee-eye) (Info)
Cultivar: Miss Molly
Synonym:Buddleia davidii

Grow outdoors year-round

Magenta (Pink-Purple)

Buffalo, New York

Lubbock, Texas

On Aug 2, 2016, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

This species isn't long-lived (usually under 10 years). Hard pruning (to 6") annually in early spring helps it renew itself and improves bloom.

All B. davdii cultivars require weekly deadheading for them to look and bloom its best.

Butterfly bushes may be good nectar sources for adult butterflies, but they are not food sources for the caterpillars of any Lepidoptera native to the continental US.

In some places, B. davidii can be an invasive weed: England, France, New Zealand, and the states of Oregon and Washington. It has naturalized in eastern N. America but is not considered invasive there. Recent cultivars are usually selected for dramatically reduced fertility.This species has naturalized along the west coast of N. America from BC to Califo... read more

On Oct 7, 2014, weedsfree from Magna, UT (Zone 7a) wrote:

This is my third time trying butterfly bush but the first time with this one and buying one so large. It is already 2' tall or so. When I went to the nursery, this cultivar was doing the best. The others they had must have been earlier bloomers. Either that or they have outgrown the pots. The ones I bought still have vibrant flowers on them and they are nicely fragrant. Smells a little like lilacs. I am excited to try this one as I was told at the garden center that they don't mind heat and they bloom from summer, right up to a freeze. There were a couple of people there that were talking about how this cultivar was their favorite. I can only dream and hope that this will be mine too. We shall see what happens after it's first winter. I will update my rating in the spring.