PlantFiles: Coral Honeysuckle, Trumpet Honeysuckle
Lonicera sempervirens

Family: Caprifoliaceae (cap-ree-foh-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info) (cap-ree-foh-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Lonicera (luh-NIS-er-a) (Info)
Species: sempervirens (sem-per-VY-renz) (Info)

Synonym:Caprifolium sempervirens

Thumbnail #6 of Lonicera sempervirens by Jeff_Beck

By htop
Thumbnail #7 of Lonicera sempervirens by htop

Positive NCMstGardener On Jul 16, 2014, NCMstGardener from Columbus, NC wrote:

We enjoy both the species (coral) and the yellow 'John Clayton.' Alas the deer enjoy them as well and have browsed all of the lower foliage. Even with that they are nice additions to our garden and are well behaved unlike the invasive Lonicera japonica.

Positive papa1 On Jul 14, 2014, papa1 from Dearborn, MI (Zone 5b) wrote:

I highly recommend this plant. It is the first plant to bloom in Spring and last one to bloom in Fall in my garden. It blooms continually. It only grows to about ten feet so it is good for a trellis. It does attract hummers. The only downside is that it has no perfume, but the advantages sure outweigh the disadvantages.

Positive Krtka On Jul 14, 2014, Krtka from Lynchburg, VA wrote:

This is a lovely addition to your garden and will be a hummingbird magnet. Just provide some support for the vine to really showcase its beauty. Trumpet Honeysuckle is the "Wildflower of the Year 2014" here in Virginia.

Positive CCPikie On Aug 20, 2011, CCPikie from Elmhurst, IL wrote:

We don't get many hummingbirds around here, but I like to have a hummingbird plant blooming just in case. Lonicera sempervirens has at least a few flowers most of the time. The first bloom in spring is sensational. This year the spring bloom was damaged by lots of aphids. I sprayed but too late. It's a tough plant though, and came back well. It's very cold hardy and can handle hard pruning. I've grown mine on my ugly gas meter, which the vine hides well. After pruning, try putting cuttings into the ground with a little rooting powder., and water well. Worked for me.

Positive zackeysmom On Apr 30, 2011, zackeysmom from Macclenny, FL wrote:

I have this plant growing on a trellis. I cut it almost to the ground in early spring and fertilized it. It is blooming the best it ever has! It is about 4 years old.

Positive HummingbirdDude On Dec 12, 2009, HummingbirdDude from Whitehall, PA wrote:

Awesome Plant! If you buy this plant your guaranteed to get Hummingbirds sooner or later. It can either be grown as a climbing vine or as a bush. I have seen it both ways. Berries come in the fall and provide food to other types of birds.

Positive wakemper93 On Nov 30, 2009, wakemper93 from Irrigon, OR wrote:

This plant is hardy once established. I have had this plant for 12 years now and it is doing just fine. Here in Irrigon, OR I had never seen a hummingbird until I planted this plant,now they are regular visitors.

Neutral Oberon46 On Nov 30, 2009, Oberon46 from (Mary) Anchorage, AK (Zone 5b) wrote:

I have had this plant in my front hard, planted at the base of a metal bird house pole for several years. The moose have trimmed it for me a few times, but now I spray it with Plant Skyyd to keep them away. Problem is that while it is woody and mature, it really doesn't bloom much, and hardly gets any taller. I wanted it to grow up and over the bird house (15') but no luck. I see that it really doesn't care about PH, so what about fertilizer? I want this vine to be healthy and abundant, but am about ready to replace it with something else. Ideas?

Positive NecrochildK On Nov 30, 2009, NecrochildK from Lafayette, LA wrote:

I noticed no one even commented on the tasty fun of this plant. Both the white/yellow honeysuckle as well as this one have a very sweet nectar inside. As kids and even still today here where I live, we'll pick the flower, bite off the very back end, spit it out and then suck the nectar out of the back of the flower. To this day I still wish there were a way to harvest it for a syrup, if only they made it in greater amounts, but that makes the little treat all the more something to savor and memories to cherish.

Neutral jerry31557 On Oct 26, 2009, jerry31557 from Patterson, GA wrote:

I have looked everywhere for this vine and can not find it. I have had a friend send me some but it did not make it. I am looking for some cuttings of this vine. Please let me know if you can help. Thank.s

Positive jqpublic On May 5, 2008, jqpublic from Cary, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I love this native. 2 popped up on our chain-linked fence in the backyard. The first one showed up 2 years ago and a second has just sprouted this year...which means the little one won't bloom til next year. Since it is on the fence I hope the neighbors don't cut it down thinking it is an invasive vine!

Positive WUVIE On Apr 23, 2007, WUVIE from Hulbert, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

This is one gorgeous honeysuckle! When in mass, it is
simply stunning, you can't help but to gasp at the sight.

Easily transplanted, easily divided and shared. Evergreen
habit helps to fill in the blanks during cold periods of the year.

Love it, can't plant enough of it!

Positive growth_is_good On Apr 3, 2007, growth_is_good from Liberty Hill, TX wrote:

Beautifully blooming this year.

Its 3rd year against the fence, partial sun and shade. Took a hard freeze this winter. Bloomed out heartily MARCH APRIL 2007.
6 fingered - Coral Honeysuckle, Trumpet Honeysuckle Lonicera sempervirens

ADDING NEW PHOTOS FROM APRIL 2007.

Positive raisedbedbob On Jan 30, 2006, raisedbedbob from Walkerton, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

I have trained 2 plants along a fence in nearly full sun. It blooms heavily in the spring and then sparsely the rest of the season. As Floridian noted, it provides a great stage for hummer viewing. In my experience, one must keep an eye out for aphids on new growth.

Positive Gabrielle On Jan 15, 2006, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

My Mom got a start of this from her Grandmother over 30 years ago and we still have it! She knows it as Woodbine Vine. We have it outside our livingroom window, and get the privilege of watching birds build nests and raise their young in it.

I have read that it is hardy to zone 3. Blooms May - July in my garden.

Positive CasieMom On May 14, 2005, CasieMom from Des Moines, IA (Zone 5a) wrote:

Gorgeous plant: leaves are silvery-green, blossoms are coral with yellow center, fruit is red. Hummingbirds and butterflies adore these flowers. I have them in full sun, with a heavy pine-bark mulch to help compensate for the thin soil over limestone. The first 2 years, top growth was slow while roots grew. The 3rd year has been spectacular. This is the prettiest honeysuckle I've ever grown; I hope to always have at least one in my garden.

Positive psychloman On Aug 13, 2004, psychloman from Brooklyn, NY (Zone 7a) wrote:

I have Lonicera sempervirens 'John Clayton' growing through my lilac bush. It blooms throughout the spring and summer after the lilac. I've had it for a few years and I just added three more; 'Sulphurea', 'Magnifica' and 'Cedar Lane'. This plant is definitely worth growing, it has no faults. It grows demurely, it flowers over a long period and is not at all invasive. It blooms most heavily in the spring and then intermittently thereafter. It adds color and interest to a big clump of lilac long after the lilac has finished blooming.It requires no special care or attention once it has been established.

Positive springlover On May 30, 2004, springlover from Franklin, MI (Zone 6a) wrote:

Here in Southern Michigan it is thriving! It stays evergreen all winter with no mulching and no care!
It only got sporadic sun due to a huge Willow (which had to be removed last year), and now with sun it finally bloomed!
First time in 6 years! Oh I am so glad I planted it!
I cut it way back this spring (late March early April) and it seems to love that. I have it growing on a 4 foot fence between the neighbors and wish I could have a 10 footer! LOL
My plant is yellow, so haven't noticed any Hummers yet...they don't like my yard for some reason.

Positive InDaDirt On May 29, 2004, InDaDirt from Bordentown, NJ wrote:

Unfortunately, I don't have a pic to share yet. Soon though. If this is the same plant, I picked it up last year under the name "Blanche Sandman". I've been growing it in a container for lack of space. Surprisingly, it's been thriving. The Hummingbirds love it. I was worried that the winter would damage it, but there was no reason to worry. It came through like a champ.

Positive melody On May 2, 2004, melody from Benton, KY (Zone 7a) wrote:

Easy to grow and pretty much pest free. Coral Honeysuckle makes a great garden plant here in West KY. It grows quickly, and although it's not supposed to be evergreen this far North, my plant keeps leaves all through the winter. It starts blooming in mid March and will hang on till the first hard freeze...usually in mid November. Hummingbirds love it, and wrens will nest in it. Great for wildlife.

Positive ladyannne On Apr 1, 2004, ladyannne from Merced, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

We are growing this on an south eastern fence where it is in almost complete shade but it is doing well, goes into bloom in late March. It is behaving like an evergreen in our zone 9.

Positive FL_Gator On Nov 29, 2002, FL_Gator from Dunnellon, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I live on a dry sand hill, and this vine has been wonderful for me. The bloom season is very long.

Neutral Floridian On Sep 12, 2001, Floridian from Lutz, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Red trumpet shaped flowers with yellow inside. Fruit are scarlet berries. This climbing vine is a favorite of the Ruby Throat Hummingbird. A native plant found in woods, thickets and roadside fences it flowers April through August.

Auburn, Alabama
Morrilton, Arkansas
Citrus Heights, California
Sacramento, California
Whittier, California
Wilmington, Delaware (2 reports)
Washington, District Of Columbia
Lexington, South Carolina
Rock Hill, South Carolina
Amarillo, Texas
Arlington, Texas
Austin, Texas (4 reports)
Belton, Texas
Liberty Hill, Texas
Plano, Texas
Port Neches, Texas
Royse City, Texas
San Antonio, Texas (2 reports)
Santa Fe, Texas