PlantFiles: Butterfly Bush, Summer Lilac
Buddleja 'Summer Skies'

Family: Buddlejaceae
Genus: Buddleja (BUD-lee-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Summer Skies
Additional cultivar information: (PP22465, CBRAF)

Synonym:Buddleia

Pollen may cause allergic reaction

Rose/Mauve

Variegated

By Clary
Thumbnail #1 of Buddleja  by Clary

By Clary
Thumbnail #2 of Buddleja  by Clary

Positive Clary On Aug 20, 2012, Clary from Lewisburg, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I have had this plant in the garden for two months. During this time it has doubled in size and is flowering beautifully. The flowers are indeed violet - slightly more purple than a typical english lavender. They are nicely shaped in pointed panicles and very full. The shape of the bush is round and full. The foliage color is outstanding. It is variegated with lemony cream and light green which looks wonderful with other plants.

UPDATE:

I have removed all my buddleias except the Lochinch. All but the Lochinch had become infested with mildew. I don't know if it's the weather these past years or the density of buddleias, but I suspect both have contributed. I noticed the mildew last year and cut them all to the ground. This spring, the lochinch was the only one that produced healthy leaves. I dug out all the others, including the summer skies.

There are far too many buddleias in my region. There are probably 10-12 buddleias *per block* throughout my town. I've noticed that butterflies, hawk moths, and even hummingbirds no longer attend to other nectar flowers - only the buddleias. Additionally, many people don't prune or care for their gardens and most of these buddlieas have grown enormous - and all have wrinkling grey mildewed leaves. So I think that this mildew blight is being spread throughout my region.

I removed my plants because I feel it is irresponsible (and unattractive) to keep a diseased plant. I replaced them with native milkweeds and a few other nectar flowers, hoping to provide more options for wildlife and to prevent the spread of mildew.

Lewisburg, Pennsylvania