PlantFiles: Crinum Lily
Crinum 'Super Ellen'

Family: Amaryllidaceae (am-uh-ril-id-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Crinum (KRY-num) (Info)
Cultivar: Super Ellen
Hybridized by T. Perry aka seedman; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1995

Bulbs

USDA Zone 5b: to -26.1 °C (-15 °F)

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

By RandyRick
Thumbnail #1 of Crinum  by RandyRick

By RandyRick
Thumbnail #2 of Crinum  by RandyRick

Thumbnail #3 of Crinum  by Ladysaltfire

Thumbnail #4 of Crinum  by Ladysaltfire

Thumbnail #5 of Crinum  by Ladysaltfire

Neutral coriaceous On Jan 21, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

I believe that hardy crinums like this would be especially valuable here in the north where lily leaf beetle now makes growing good lilies difficult, because crinums, from a different family, are unsuitable hosts.

One rule of thumb I've heard from successful growers of hardy crinums in zones 5-6: the bulbs should be at least two inches thick before they will overwinter in the garden. Till then, grow it in a pot and winter it over dormant in a cool space like an unheated garage.

I've just bought two bulbs, and will report back if and when I can plant them in the garden.

Positive vagene On Jun 15, 2012, vagene from Inverness, FL wrote:

I wish I could post a picture of my Crinum Lily here it is beautiful. I live in central Fl. I planted 1 bulb 3 years ago and have had flowers the last 2 years. It is in partial, not full sun as the sun is very hot here. each stem produces many flowers. Last year each had about 6 this year they have about 10 in each bud. I don't do anything special to them. It has gotten so big I am going to try and separate the bulbs next year before it gets too big.

Positive RandyRick On Apr 22, 2012, RandyRick from Dahlonega, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I have 5 Super Ellen growing here in zone 7b but they have not flowered yet which takes 4-5 years from offset.

Super Ellen is recognized as a unique hybrid by Intl Bulb Society and Pacific Bulb Society..

Offsets and larger are available from several sources and tissue cultured bulbs are also available.

I have a friend in zone 5b (Indianapolis) who has flowering Super Ellen.

To quote the hybridizer T.Perry (aka seedman01): "The Crinum x ‘Super Ellen’ is a back cross of C. bulbispermum (pollen) to C. ‘Ellen Bosanquet’(seed). This Crinum variety is my personal, exclusive hybrid which I developed over 14 years ago. The 'Super Ellen' is very similar to ‘Ellen Bosanquet’ --- but is much larger in all respects and hardier. This bulb has the same hardiness zone of a C. bulbispermum (zone 5). The flowers produced are a vivid rose-red and larger than the ‘Ellen Bosanquet.’ The sturdy flower spikes often reach 5-6 feet tall and make stunning, endurable cut flowers. The ‘Super Ellen’ blooms frequently throughout spring, summer and fall. I counted 14 scapes this past year on one clump of ‘Super Ellen.’ Will occasionally produce seed with hand pollination. "

Inverness, Florida