PlantFiles: New Guinea Impatiens
Impatiens x hawkeri

Family: Balsaminaceae
Genus: Impatiens (im-PAY-shuns) (Info)
Species: x hawkeri (HAWK-er-eye) (Info)

Partial to Full Shade

By DaylilySLP
Thumbnail #6 of Impatiens x hawkeri by DaylilySLP

By DaylilySLP
Thumbnail #7 of Impatiens x hawkeri by DaylilySLP

Positive nathanieledison On Apr 24, 2013, nathanieledison from Santa Rosa, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I don't know why the heck I still have this plant, it's a couple years old and living in my kitchen. I was afraid to let the frost get it since it's such a beauty, unfortunately now I'm not sure how to "perrenialize" it so that it starts producing flowers again, if that's a word....

Most likely will cut it back, or something. Please D-mail me if you happen to have a solution! Thanks!!

Positive BobBatfish On Dec 3, 2012, BobBatfish from Pensacola, FL wrote:

I have had one on my shady front stoop since the spring. I water it every day. It had blooms up until two weeks ago.

Neutral TheBeagle On Jul 9, 2012, TheBeagle from Tulsa, OK wrote:

I was hoping to find out what it means that my New Guinea Impatiens (Super Sonic Pink) is already setting seed pods. It's only early July.
I got three of these in hanging baskets from a local nursery in early June. The other two seem to be having fewer blooms than before, but are still blooming. But one has no blooms at all and is setting seed pods. Earlier it was gorgeous with tons of blooms. I've given it Miracle Grow Bloom Booster. It's been VERY hot - days of over 100 degrees. Any ideas? Can I talk it into blooming some more instead of making seeds?

Positive FreewheelingFranklyn On Aug 7, 2011, FreewheelingFranklyn from Los Angeles, CA wrote:

I love these guys. I bought 2 for $10 ea. from Home Depot and put them in 14 inch pots. 5 years later they are monsters...3 feet across and covered with flowers. Gorgeous!
Reputedly some people tramping around in New Guinea in 1972 brought them to the US. Nice going! Probably the only good thing to come out of that country in some time.
Several times I neglected them and they so seriously wilted that I thought they were done for. Water brought them back in no time. (As their condition made me feel badly, now I am much more mindful of my custodianship.)
Last year Home Depot had them on sale for $3.00 and I bought another 20. I live in a Pasadena cyn that gets only 5-6 hours of overhead sun because of a grove of about 20 towering diador Himalayan cedars.
The trick is to keep them in the shade. They do not like full sun. Before planting move them around in their containers and see how they respond.

Positive NYGrower On Feb 27, 2011, NYGrower from Poughkeepsie - Hyde Park, NY (Zone 4a) wrote:

It is Winter in NY. Still have snow outside every where. Inside on my shelves are tons of New Guinea Impatiens and the Garden Impatiens. I took tons of them from the garden and brought them inside. They made it thru the winter and are in bloom in every window of my house. Just wonderful. Those that are leggy are cut off and placed in water to make new plants for this spring. Great little plant.

Nancy.

Neutral steadycam3 On Feb 6, 2009, steadycam3 from Houston Heights, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I rooted a cutting from a neighbor and it did well in a location that was too sunny (full sun until about 3 PM). It sometimes wilted but still blooming well until I mulched it to try to prevent the wilting. It promptly rotted and died. The neighbor from whom I took the cutting just completely ignored her plant. It was planted on a western exposure against the side of her house. It only got about 3 hours of full sun. When I first saw it, it was 3 feet tall and covered in blooms. It was love at first sight for me. I have not tried again yet but I will.

Positive leonardaj On Aug 17, 2008, leonardaj from Granite Falls, WA wrote:

Grows and blooms quite vigorously-in hanging pots.Wanted to add more color to flower garden. Purchased in late spring. Planted together with Fiesta Ole Purple Stripe Double Impatiens. Achieved a great effect with almost continuous blooms. Gets morning and evening sun. Water every other day. Miracle Grow every 3 weeks.

Neutral LarissaH On May 15, 2008, LarissaH from Denton, TX (Zone 7b) wrote:

Beautiful for sure, but they are sooooo fragile and water hungry.

I was led to believe these would take "more sun" than run-of-the-mill impatiens. Bull. They wilt mid-afternoon and down right look half dead if they go two days without being watered. Of the three I planted, one is dead already because I didn't get to them fast enough in between rain showers.

On the other hand, my cheap $1.50 per flat impatiens are flourishing with very little supplemental water between our once a week rain showers and they are in the sun for an hour more a day! Pffft.

Neutral jdiaz On Dec 13, 2007, jdiaz from Chowchilla, CA wrote:

They are perennials in my zone 9b/10a garden and they bloom year round if planted out of the sun and in a protected location. I have orange crush growing in an L shaped section of my yard under the year round shade of an australian tree fern, a young kentia palm and a queen palm.The cold doesnt see to bother them, but frost will do them in. We've had a week with temps in the low 30s recently and the impatiens were unfazed.

Positive DebinSC On Dec 18, 2006, DebinSC from Georgetown, SC (Zone 8a) wrote:

I have had good luck with these in zone 8 in everything from full shade to part sun. They really don't like mid-day/afternoon sun and even with morning sun, need lots of water. Mine have bloomed well into fall, tho by Oct., they're a little "leggy".

Positive Davey7549 On Dec 17, 2005, Davey7549 from Mukwonago, WI wrote:

This is the first year trying New Guinea Impatiens. Used the Hanging bag method for the Celebration Red variety. This variety is very tolerant to amount of sunlight within reason. Full sun should be avoided. Watering daily is essential and the plants will immediatly let you know when the water supply in dwindling by them starting to sag. During the summer months two Hanging bags provided the centerpiece at our front door and always drew attention, even from the tropical Hibiscuses. Not wanting to loose these two masterpieces over winter I decided to attempt bringing them indoors before frost. They remained in my garage healthy for 1 month before moving indoors in November. Indoors during the heating season they are requiring watering every three days and are producing flowers today 12-17-05. Such a pretty sight in the dead of winter! Oh by the way the Tropical Hibiscus is also blooming today which is an added bonus before Christmas.

Dave

Positive Silkysapphire On Sep 26, 2005, Silkysapphire from Lafayette, IN wrote:

My specimens are SO gorgeous I just hate to think of losing them to the cold, so I will try overwintering them.

Silksapphire, Indiana

Neutral Jaxgirl On Jun 19, 2005, Jaxgirl from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

This is my first experience with a new guinea impatien...I've found that it wilts easily, so I need to water it more often than my other plants...I'm experimenting with the light (shade to partial shade). I'm hoping I become successful with this plant before it gives up on me...

Positive jordung On Apr 20, 2005, jordung from Woonsocket, RI (Zone 6b) wrote:

I grew this plant last year in a semi-shady location. Even whn I didn't water it on time and appeared to wilt it always came back.

Neutral hanna1 On Oct 7, 2004, hanna1 from Castro Valley, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I tried growing them here in probably too much sun, they are so pretty I will will try them again in more shade.

Positive foodiesleuth On Jun 5, 2004, foodiesleuth from Honomu, HI (Zone 11) wrote:

It amazes me to read that some people recommend to not overwater, or to not water from the top........we have our planted in the ground. We get more rainfall in a month than most people get in a year. when we have a few days with no rain, the plants will start looking slightly wilted and we water them ourselves.....without worrying about wetting from the top. They do fine.

We bought two New Guinea plants originally and have broken stems and planted those directly into the ground with no root booster and they have done splendid.

...........And regular impatiens grow like weeds here, with no help from us, except to break off stems and plant around for color.

Positive ElleMae03 On Jun 4, 2004, ElleMae03 from Lewisport, KY wrote:

This is my first year for this beautiful plant. But if cats and dogs can play and smash it over and over and it continues to bloom, it's the perfect plant for me.

Positive UsaBoy79 On May 25, 2004, UsaBoy79 from Decatur, IL wrote:

Most people have no luck with these, however i am a first timer of this beautiful choice and have had nothing but luck! in a trial and error the 1st week i had them, i now realize they LOVE water and shade this has kept them in full fantabulous bloom!

Positive Maudie On Sep 25, 2003, Maudie from Harvest, AL wrote:

I have had very good results with this plant; was given to me on Mother's Day in full bloom and it stayed full of blooms until frost.

I put it in a sunny window for the winter, and it survived but never was as vigorous as before; is a beautiful plant nevertheless. Well worth all the "TLC" one can afford.

Neutral htop On Sep 22, 2003, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

San Antonio, Tx.
After several years of trying these out, I quit planting them. I have better luck with regular impatiens. For some reason, they never bloomed very well. I tried different areas in my yard receiving different smounts of sunlight and having different types of soil with the same results. I bought hanging baskets that did not bloom much either. I used various fertilizers also. Perhaps I will try again and use the fish emulsion fertilizer.

Positive jbyrne On Sep 9, 2003, jbyrne from St. John's
Canada (Zone 5a) wrote:

I would like to happily report that I have had success with it here in Newfoundland, Canada.

However, I must report that this plant must not be planted outside until well after the risk of frost has passed (the end of June).

It also needs plenty of sunshine and must not be overwatered.

Here's an update for September 25th - it is now the beginnings of late fall here in Newfoundland (nightime temp around 6 C), and all of a sudden, this thing seems to have taken on a life of its own! It is covered in flowers, and even seems to be growing, if you can believe that!

Positive broozersnooze On Aug 1, 2003, broozersnooze from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

My experience with these is that they fare the sun much better than the common impatiens. I have several planters on my upstairs deck where they get little shade & they've done beautifully. The stems are tender like the common impatiens & so require extra attention to moisture content in the soil than most of my other plants. They wilt quickly in the Florida heat if the soil gets dry but are still one of my favorite plants.

Positive sbates On Jul 31, 2003, sbates from Austin, TX wrote:

These have done very well here in Austin - especially in the warm weather with partial shade. They bloom prolifically, especially when fertilized with fish emulsion. They also root amazingly well and quickly. But, consistent with other reports, I have had others who bought the same plants from the same grower and had very poor results - primary difference, she planted them in a container, I have mine in the ground.

Neutral kabloom On May 30, 2003, kabloom from Alpharetta, GA (Zone 7a) wrote:

I lost 3 of 6 plants and never figured out why. They are kind of expensive to be so iffy.

Positive DamonRice On May 18, 2003, DamonRice wrote:

I got several small plants, planted them in our front garden. They are doing fine, even tho the soil isn't truly acidic. And the flowers are gorgeous. The only problem I have had is with little bugs that eat the flowers.

Positive kymom42 On Oct 17, 2002, kymom42 wrote:

I recently got one of the light orchid this year and have brought indoors in a pot to see how it does. So far it looks little wilted, but are trying to figure out what it needs.

Positive jkom51 On Sep 9, 2002, jkom51 from Oakland, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Gorgeous, but they detest being sprinkled with water so soak the ground, not the plant. In No.Cal. they are perennials if you're really lucky but are sensitive to cold.

Positive revclaus On Jul 30, 2002, revclaus from (Judith) Denver, CO (Zone 5b) wrote:

This is my first experience with the 'Harmony' New Guinea impatiens, and it has outperformed any other variety I've tried. The light orchid is more like pink. I'll try other colors next year. I have it on a north-facing balcony against the wall, so it gets little sun.

Negative deblew On Jun 23, 2002, deblew wrote:

followed specific directions on care tag and the basket will not flower. Called florists re this issue with no results.

Neutral Terry On Mar 13, 2001, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

I've had mixed results with New Guinea impatiens - I've successfully raised them from seed, bought small and large pots. I usually put them in a filtered shade spot, and some years they do great; others not so great. But they're pretty, so I keep trying :)

Jones, Alabama