PlantFiles: Weeping Lantana, Trailing Lantana
Lantana montevidensis 'Trailing Lavender'

Family: Verbenaceae (ver-be-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Lantana (lan-TAN-a) (Info)
Species: montevidensis (mon-tay-vid-EN-sis) (Info)
Cultivar: Trailing Lavender

By htop
Thumbnail #6 of Lantana montevidensis by htop

By BUFFY690
Thumbnail #7 of Lantana montevidensis by BUFFY690

Positive debylutz On Sep 28, 2013, debylutz from San Diego, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

Trailing lantana makes a great groundcover in tough areas. It attracts bees and butterflies. It must be cut back hard before the spring growth flush.

Positive coastalzonepush On Feb 19, 2013, coastalzonepush from Orlando, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

i had 5 small plants that got mowed down, and they came back stronger and much faster than before. the blooms are continuous and a great addition to your garden for constant color, nectar, groundcover, and drought tolerance once they've established.

i never get to see the butterflies (if they do) visit because of where it is planted.

Neutral toni689 On May 24, 2012, toni689 from NURSERY, TX wrote:

I received a start of this in late April. I immediately came home and planted it in the ground. I have been keeping it watered and I don't think overly so. But, there were days here and there that it did not get watered.

I know it was kind of late to start it, being that temps were already very high. All of the stems have turned brown and I don't think there are any new growth stems.

Does anyone know if its possible to save the plant or if it will come back next spring? I can dig it up and pot it in the house, but Im afraid the shock will kill it for sure.

Positive angelinamax On Oct 7, 2011, angelinamax from Alamogordo, NM wrote:

I LOVE this plant! It's my first year planting it and it doubled in size in about two months. I only water it maybe once a week, lightly and it flowers more the less you water it. It is so pretty and I haven't noticed it smells like anything. I hope it survives the winter (7b/8a) here. I originally just got this plant because it's sturdy, but fell in love with it's beautiful, vibrant color!

Positive squirmy2000 On Oct 1, 2011, squirmy2000 from Lisle, IL wrote:

I live in Chicago on the 5th floor looking east. I purchased this for the first time this spring. I've always loved lantana being originally from the Southeast, and when I saw a creeping variety at my local nursery, I had to try it. I planted it in a pot hanging on my balcony railing. It trailed beautifully over the side with lots of blooms all summer. Little dead heading was required. Very fragrant with a Lilac scent. The leaves do irritate the skin with itching when handled. Make sure you wash well with soap and water after handling.
In June, a female Rufous hummingbird discovered the plant and visited about 10 times a day, especially in the evening. In late July, a male Ruby throated and a male Rufous discovered it and began fighting over it. They ran the female off and the male Rufous won out. It is now September and he still comes several times a day. The plant is slowing down on blooms since it's cooler. Will definately buy another one next year, maybe 3.

Neutral steadycam3 On Jan 7, 2011, steadycam3 from Houston Heights, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I received this information from htop who sent me a link to a study which showed that the trailing varieties of Lantana are more resistant to Lantana Lacebug than the bush varieties and some colors are more resistant to Lacebug... Lavender and Red. In Texas, our beautiful native Lantana gets hit every July with this awful pest so diffucult to eradicate that I have decided to switch to the montevidensis species. I have cuttings rooting now of the trailing white and trailing lavender. The Monarchs and bees love this plant which makes it doubly difficult to deal with any pest the plant has.

Positive PammiePi On Jun 23, 2010, PammiePi from Green Cove Springs, FL wrote:

I planted one of these lantanas next to my mailbox post years ago in full sun & sandy soil & the plant still comes back year after year. Although this is a "trailing" variety, they seem to climb as well. Mine grew up the mailbox post & the flowering quince next to the mailbox. Like other lantanas, likes full sun & is very drought tolerant. May not bloom without full or near full sun. Burns back in winter. I prune the dead branches in early spring & it always comes back. Blooms late spring - early summer to early winter here.

Neutral greatswede On Jun 30, 2009, greatswede from Lincoln, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

This plant is a fast grower and very attractive in the garden. The flowers are a standout! Don't like smell of leaves though.

I planted them last year and they did well until the frost. I had covered them with a thermal landscape blanket and two out of three plants came back (for a while they looked dead). I planted a new one this year. It came with blooms but has none at this time while the old ones are blooming quite well.

I've heard that if the plant can make it through the first winter, it will probably do OK after that. I hope so!

Positive BrooklynJon On Jul 23, 2007, BrooklynJon from Brooklyn, NY (Zone 6b) wrote:

I have this growing in hanging baskets, dressed up with some vines, in sunny spots of my z7 yard. It doesn't seem to mind drying out at all, and gives me a steady supply of flowers. I'll overwinter them indoors.

Positive renatelynne On Jul 21, 2006, renatelynne from Boerne new zone 30, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Grows well around and under cedar trees. Grows well in poor soil with little water. Deer in my area have never bothered it at all. Comes back every year and by the end of summer one plant can cover a 6ft area. If it freezes it is best to cut back to the ground as it will come back up from the ground next year NOT on the old wood.

Positive YeeFam On May 9, 2006, YeeFam from Spring, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Houston:
We grew yellow trailing lantana in a small (4" x 4" X2 4" w*d*l) flower box last year - very pleased with the results.

We had about 4-5 hours of afternoon sun.

To keep it healthy, we watered every morning during the spring & fall, morning and evening during the summer.

We are going to try purple ones this year - hope they are just as easy......

Neutral revwje On May 31, 2005, revwje from Buckeye, AZ (Zone 9b) wrote:

does very well with full sun. The Phoenix AZ heat does not seem to brother it. Do not over water! Twice a week is ok with only about a gallon and half of water.

Neutral Mr_Marty On May 8, 2004, Mr_Marty from La Quinta, CA wrote:

I just planted 4 Lantana in direct sun and 1 in shaded sun about a week ago. The shaded one has died already and the other four are doing great.

Since I only spaced them about 18" apart, I may not replace the dead one in the hope that the others will cover the area.

I live near Indio, California where it's been about 100 degrees for the last week.

Positive fllady On Apr 26, 2004, fllady wrote:

i grew this plant last year in littleton n. c. I planted it in a hot dry spot and it grew quite large and bloomed all summer. last fall i covered it with mulch and now (april 26) it is sprouting new leaves. I plan on planting more of them this year.

Positive htop On Apr 1, 2004, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

San Antonio, Tx.
This lantana is among my 2 favorites. It grows quickly once established. It is low growing compared to the others and seems to take cold weather better. It will still be blooming after light frosts when the others have been "crisped". Like all lantanas, it grows and blooms best in full sun, but will grow in partial shade. If the winters are mild here, it does not die back. I trim it back each year whether it has died back or not to keep it from spreading out of the flowerbed. The stems easily root when they are in contact with the ground. When I prune it back, I place the rooted pieces in pots and grow them through the winter to give to friends and neighbors after seeing them in quart size containers at the local nurseries selling for $9.99. The plant can cause skin irritation. I sometimes break out for a few hours after trimming them, but not as badly as with the other lantanas.Because it is low growing and traiks, it makes a great container plant.

Positive youreit On Mar 17, 2004, youreit from Knights Landing, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I live on the border of Sunset zones 8 & 14 in California, and I bought a small 6-pk of these beauties last year. Before I got them in the ground, three died. However once planted [in part shade], the other 3 spread out like gangbusters and bloomed until the heavy rains hit in fall, when they lost most of their leaves and got rather raggedy-looking. At this point, some of the leaves are starting to come back, but it has purple blooms all over it. Easy to care for and lovely to admire.

Positive dho1655 On Oct 30, 2003, dho1655 from Belvedere Tiburon, CA wrote:

This plant is deer-resistant.

Positive desertpete On Oct 19, 2003, desertpete from Odessa, TX wrote:

Here in West Texas, my Lantana dies back in the winter and comes back in the spring. It seems to take a little longer to come back than some other perennials, but is worth the wait.

Positive BUFFY690 On Oct 18, 2003, BUFFY690 from Prosperity, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

My mother planted three Lantana in 2002; they were pretty that year but nothing spectacular. When I started added to the exsisting bed all I found was dead looking dried stumps. I dug all three up and saved one. I babied this dried plant for weeks and finally in June I saw three little green leaves. It stayed about 3 inches high until about 6 weeks ago and though it is not very big, but it makes up with the fact that it survived and is blooming profusely. I hope it comes back stronger next year.

Neutral southernbelle On Feb 20, 2003, southernbelle wrote:

I have a trailing lantana growing on my windowsill which receives afternoon southwesterly sun. I keep it regularly watered and it seems to be growing fine, but it is not blooming and the edges of several leaves are brown and crispy.

Positive kymom42 On Oct 17, 2002, kymom42 wrote:

I recently bought one of these this spring. It has bloomed all summer. I live in Kentucky (USDA Zone 7) and I don't know how to keep this from dying other than to take it indoors.

Positive tiG On Aug 31, 2002, tiG from Newnan, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Love this plant. I put it in the ground and it just bloomed all summer with no extra care from me. Easy to root cuttings also.

Positive ADKSpirit On Aug 28, 2002, ADKSpirit from Lake Placid, NY (Zone 4a) wrote:

I have three colors of trailing lantana, yellow, white and purple, in my garden. Here in north Florida they bloom all year once the plant has established itself, unless we get a cold snap. They are very vigorous plants but not as invasive as the bush types of lantana. They don't have berries like the bush types either. They attract lots of butterflies and the illusive hummingbird moths. The leaves have a wonderfully spicy smell.

Trailing lantanas love the sun, are drought tolerant, and make great plants to use in flower beds adjacent to pavement, parking lots and driveways, where other plants wither in the heat. They do well as underplantings beneath palm trees, crape myrtles, and make good potted plants.

Neutral Terry On Sep 21, 2001, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

A tender perennial, this trailing form of lantana is gaining popularity as a groundcover and hanging basket plant. Color choices are becoming more abundant. The white and lavender flowering varieties are typically sterile and don't require deadheading.

The foliage is dark green and coarsely toothed. It has a distinctive smell when crushed or bruised. There have been some reports of animals becoming sick after ingesting the leaves.

Athens, Alabama
Ringgold, Louisiana
Zachary, Louisiana
Ocean Springs, Mississippi
Pascagoula, Mississippi
Las Vegas, Nevada (2 reports)
Alamogordo, New Mexico
Averill Park, New York
Brooklyn, New York
Lima, Ohio
Prosperity, South Carolina
Alice, Texas (2 reports)
Austin, Texas (4 reports)
Boerne, Texas
Nursery, Texas
Odessa, Texas
Rockport, Texas
Rowlett, Texas
San Antonio, Texas (3 reports)
Spicewood, Texas (2 reports)
Spring, Texas