PlantFiles: Fuchsia
Fuchsia triphylla 'Gartenmeister Bonstedt'

Family: Onagraceae (on-uh-GRAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Fuchsia (FEW-she-uh) (Info)
Species: triphylla (try-FIL-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Gartenmeister Bonstedt

By RichSwanner
Thumbnail #6 of Fuchsia triphylla by RichSwanner

By RichSwanner
Thumbnail #7 of Fuchsia triphylla by RichSwanner

Positive SunnyTropicals On Jun 6, 2013, SunnyTropicals from Port Charlotte, FL wrote:

This form of Fuchsia is great for south Florida. It prefers part shade or full shade. So long as the roots stay cool and moist it will bloom like mad. I mist my plants everyday, the Fuchsia perks right up after this. So I do recommend this if your in a truly hot zone. Misting is done in the am and late pm.

Positive gonedutch On Sep 4, 2011, gonedutch from Fairport, NY wrote:

If there is one plant to commend for aesthetic people with busy lives this Fuchsia is the one. It is not demanding, other than watering to keep the roots moist and cool, and it has no known pests. In our northern zone 5-6 it needs to be brought indoors when temps drop into the 40s. I overwinter it with temps between 50-60 with part-day sun. In spring I bring it outdoors into the sun after I hedge-clip off all of its foliage back to the stem height it was the previous season. Almost immediately it begins to set new buds and by the end of August it is again in full bloom. See my image of them on the cottage patio; these plants are over a decade old.

Positive CCPikie On Aug 19, 2011, CCPikie from Elmhurst, IL wrote:

I purchased a small Gartenmeister bonstedt from our local garden center's greenhouse in early spring. It was kept indoors for a couple of weeks 'till after last frost. Planted in ground in part to full shade. It's about a foot tall and wide now, and has been flowering since it was planted. I'd like faster growth, but I'm not complaining.

Positive gardenergirl678 On Apr 9, 2011, gardenergirl678 from Hamilton, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

How wonderful to find a fuchsia that will survive the heat of Georgia in a transition zone of 7 and 8! This darling of a plant comes in this coral color and dark green leaves that brighten up any shady spot. I love to grow containers, so this is a perfect pick for color and height. It is the thriller, filler, and spiller, all in one, but of course, I have to use it with other plants. Use a plant with larger leaves and lighter colored leaves along with it, such as hosta. Since the flower is a coral color, use other warm colors for harmony or use colors on the other side of the color wheel, such as lavender. White or gray would be great neutral colors to use alongside. Enjoy!

Positive PedricksCorner On Jul 18, 2010, PedricksCorner from Freedom, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

This upright fuchsia is one of the hardiest fuchsias I have ever grown. I actually wan't interested in having one. But a friend of mine insisted on giving me one. He kept thinking his had been killed by winter freezes, but every spring, it would come back up through the 'Leather Ferns' which had surrounded it. It is also one that deals very well with the heat. The best of both extremes. So now I have the whole bush, Leather Ferns included. They deal very well with full hot sun also. Hard to believe a fern would do well in the sun, maybe that is how they got their name!

Positive rahart On May 5, 2010, rahart from Chicago, IL wrote:

I bought 3 of these plants at a local garden center last summer after having admired them at the Chicago Botanic Garden. I grew them directly in the ground in part shade & dug them up at the end of the season. Not only did the plants overwinter well in the house, but I had great success with rooting cuttings from this plant. Every one of them rooted & is growing vigorously. I had enough to pass on to a friend.

Positive SW_gardener On Jul 25, 2009, SW_gardener from (Zone 6a) wrote:

I bought this by mistake last year at a local garden centre. The reason I think it was a mistake is because it was being sold with other small plants for only 1.25$! Any ways it has beautiful vivid blooms and over winters well indoors and can take a fair amount of neglect while inside(I must have missed watering it a dozen times) and still bounce back. Just about to come into bloom now after being mostly void of leafy growth when I took it outside this spring.

Positive jlomack On Jun 22, 2009, jlomack from Midlothian, IL wrote:

My husband has bought me a fuchsia plant every mother's day for the past 3 years. In the fall we have thrown it out thinking it was dead. Last year my husband watched HGTV's
Paul James and learned that it could be overwintered. So we tried it by putting it in the crawl space and watering it only twice, once at Thanksgiving and Christmas. We took it out in March put it outside during the day when it was above 40f
and brought it in at night. Well it didn't come back and my husband got me another on Mother's day. He wanted to toss the old one but I wouldn't let him. I put it in the garage until Mother's day and the put it outside. Do you know the darn thing is coming back. The new one has attracted the hummers every day. About 7:am and 6:pm I sit at the kitchen table and watch.

Positive mrs_colla On Feb 18, 2009, mrs_colla from Marin, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I have two plants flanking my walkway, they hardly get any sun, besides an hour or so in the early morning, but only in summer.
They did suffer a little in the cold, they lost some leaves, but they are bouncing back with a vengeance!

They make pretty flowers on new wood, so I often cut them back in summer to keep them looking in scale with my doorway. Where I live they bloom from March to December!

They have berries that I eat. They are a little sweet, a little bland, but still yummie to me.

(Please don't take my word for it though; you check yourself before you eat them!)

The hummingbirds love them and I have not seen any mite damage so far. Where most blooming Fuchsias have succumbed to the Mighty Mite, this one isn't bothered by it here.

Neutral htop On Nov 8, 2008, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I paid a lot of money for a small plant in the spring and was assured it would grow here in hot San Antonio. I hoped it would last at least until it became hot. The plant slowly wilted and died before I could even plant it in the ground. Perhaps it had a root disease. Because I could not find my receipt, I could not get my money back at Lowe's. I will give it a neutral rating because I am not sure what happened to it. The blooms and the foliage are beautiful. I may try buying one next year and taping my receipt to my computer in case it dies.

Positive wind On Jun 26, 2007, wind from Mount Laurel, NJ (Zone 7a) wrote:

I bought this mainly to add to our hummingbird garden. The hummers love it :) It is growing in a pot ~ we bring it indoors to over winter with no problems. It does not die down and go dormant. We keep it with our other houseplants and just put it back out on the porch in the spring!

Positive Marilynbeth On Jul 26, 2006, Marilynbeth from Hebron, KY wrote:

Wouldn't be without it every summer! Hummers love this plant, so I have 3 or 4 pots of it on the front porch where it gets the morning sun. So exciting to be sitting on the couch in the evening and seeing the Hummers come up the the pots of flowers!

Positive Leehallfae On Jun 15, 2006, Leehallfae from Seattle, WA wrote:

Great plant. This upright Fuchsia has Brick-red blooms. Does good in containers.

Keep it in dappled shade between 10:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. Daylight Savings Time. Feed with a 12-55-6 Bloom Booster every two weeks. To overwinter, keep it inside.

Positive Joy On May 9, 2006, Joy from Kalama, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have successfully grown and over-wintered one of these plants for over 10 years. I keep it in an unheated shed during the winter and most years it keeps most of it's leaves and just rests rather than go dormant.
It's a reliable bloomer and the hummers love it.
After flowering it leaves behind a 'fruit'. If you squeeze the fruit, they have a very dark red juice in them. I don't know if they are edible or not? It'd be interesting to find out.

Positive penpen On Mar 10, 2006, penpen from North Tonawanda, NY (Zone 6a) wrote:

This plant is not hardy here in western NY so this year I overwintered 2 inside since they are not easy to find locally and when they are the price goes up significantly from year to year for a small 3 inch pot. It is a must have for hummingbird gardeners. I kept them in front of west facing glass doors in my kitchen which stays a little cooler than the rest of the house. I kept the plants just barely moist over the winter. In late February I had to trim them back a bit as they were getting overgrown and decided to try rooting the cuttings. I have 12 rooted cuttings transplanted to their own pots in less than 2 weeks. I rooted the cuttings in loose potting soil and just kept the soil evenly moist. I am also trying a couple of leaf cutting now but so far they haven't rooted. I do know of gardeners that have rooted cuttings successfully in plain water also.

Positive MrTomCat On Jun 25, 2005, MrTomCat from Needham, MA (Zone 6a) wrote:

These wonderful plants are very difficult to find in nurseries in Massachusetts,(Zone 6) but I usually luck out and purchase one or two plants. I put them on my deck railing under the table umbrella, sit back and enjoy the hummingbirds that flock to them. Between the Monarda in my garden and these I have an enjoyable experience. I usually toss them at end of season (bloom spring til frost), but this year I'll try taking them indoors.

Positive woodspirit1 On May 23, 2005, woodspirit1 from Lake Toxaway, NC (Zone 7a) wrote:

This is the best plant I love. The bright coral tubular flowers open at the ends into a little star. They have tons of blooms at the very tip end of the stems. They bloom from spring to frost. Since they are woody, I expect they live year-round in hotter climates.
They are blooming little fools. What I want to know is how to propagate them? Can someone advise?
I have edited to say they do not bloom in spring but in early summer for me. I have had the older ones produce babies from time to time and now have 5 instead of 2. Still a favorite. This is my sixth year. I bring them in and put them in a heated basement in a bathrub, lol.

Amesti, California