PlantFiles: Yellow Bells, Trumpet Flower
Tecoma stans 'Gold Star'

Family: Bignoniaceae (big-no-nih-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Tecoma (tek-OH-muh) (Info)
Species: stans (stanz) (Info)
Cultivar: Gold Star

Late Fall/Early Winter

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

Collect seedhead/pod when flowers fade; allow to dry

By alhanks

Thumbnail #6 of Tecoma stans by htop

By Equilibrium
Thumbnail #7 of Tecoma stans by Equilibrium

Positive BayAreaTropics On Apr 15, 2013, BayAreaTropics from Hayward, CA wrote:

I had one rot out in a pot one winter. The other planted in ground has been easy care,a little slow growing. But it flowers all summer in the bay area's 10a. Very Mandevilla looking and goes semi deciduous in winter. Best in hottest sun,and or up against a wall.

Positive steadycam3 On Oct 28, 2012, steadycam3 from Houston Heights, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I believe that I have the native yellow Texas type but I never get volunteer seedlings. However, when I save the seed and plant them, they grow easily. Ive not had good luck with rooting from cuttings and I can root most things I try. This is such a reliable bloomer here in Houston. I have three and they bloom every month except January. I see it growing here in the most harsh circumstances without care. Mine are easily 10 feet tall

Neutral dmlgcl On Aug 26, 2012, dmlgcl from Houston, TX wrote:

I have 3 esperanza bushes planted a year ago in May. They did not bloom last summer or this summer. What is the problem?

Positive jbiton On May 27, 2012, jbiton from Jan Phyl Village, FL wrote:

I am new to the gardening experience. I recently purchased a bunch of plants and shrubs and have no idea what I am doing as far as maintenance goes. One of my Yellow Elder plants is not doing to good. I originally bought two at the same time and planted them in the same location about 6 feet apart. One is doing great and growing like a weed with a ton of flowers. The other one is not filling out, has few flowers, and the leaves got two problems that I have no clue what is going on. First off some of the leaves are changing color to a mix of yellow to orange. Second on some of the leaves there are little yellow raised circles. Also the "sick" Elder is not growing as fast as the other one. I have not done anything different with this second one and it has received the same care and watering as the first. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I do not want it to die and am considering digging it up and placing it somewhere else.

Positive jugbandman On May 1, 2011, jugbandman from Azle, TX wrote:

Beautiful yellow blooms in South Texas, but I've had a hard time getting this plant through our North Texas winters. Last spring (2010) I planted again in a more sheltered area and it survived! I envy those of you in the Rio Grande valley where Esperanza thrives.

Positive seekerb62 On Jan 22, 2011, seekerb62 from McDade, TX wrote:

Great plant. We planted ours in an area that was too small. Can someone tell me the best time to move them?

Positive starfarmer On May 15, 2008, starfarmer from Ann Arbor, MI (Zone 6a) wrote:

Although now I live in Ann Arbor, MI, I am from Las Vegas and have had great luck with this plant both as a nursery owner and a gardener. I've grown four different forms (five if you count "Orange Jubilee"): a Mexican seed form (grows to 15'), a Florida form from cuttings (to 10'), the Arizona native form (T. stans angustata, collected from the Santa Rita mountains) and the dwarf form from Lone Star nursery that showed up in AZ and NV nurseries a decade ago.

The Mexican form came from seed harvested by Dave Turner over 20 years ago, and every year it would shoot up to 15', bloom exuberantly during September, October and November and then lose all its leaves. The tall unbranched stems usually flushed out no problem in spring, but I found I got better flowers by leaving only a few and cutting the rest back to the ground in March.

The Florida form was a superior bloomer...individual flowers were larger and more fragrant and they were in almost spherical clusters, sometimes as much as a foot in diameter! It was not as hardy as the Mexican form, nor as drought-tolerant. It always came back, but if the winter had been particularly cold the next fall would see significantly reduced bloom (a couple of years no bloom despite good size and lush foliage!)

The AZ form was tough as nails, grew only to about 4', bloomed continuously, but the flowers were small and in clusters of only two or three, and the foliage was sparse not matter how good the conditions...in fact, overwatering or fertilization led to more lushness but no flowers.

"Gold Star", the Lone Star clone, was ultimately the most satisfying form for landscaping in Las Vegas. It had the stature and toughness of angustata (AZ form) but the lushness and floriferousness of the Florida clone. The only drawbacks I ever saw or heard about were a slight tendency to experience transplant shock from a container (from which is fully recovers) and a tendency toward seed set. However, I only ever saw a tiny number of seed pods on any Vegas plant, unlike the masses of seeds experienced by gardeners in more humid climes. If I could only have one sort, this would be it...but who says anyone has to choose?

Positive jakthelad On May 7, 2008, jakthelad from Las Vegas, NV wrote:

I am in Las Vegas. Here, this gorgeous plant dies back to the bare stalks every year and the next year it magically appears again! It's the most vibrant green foliage and the 'yellowest' of yellow flowers. It is probably my favourite plant in the whole of my garden. I do not cut it back untill I see where it starts sprouting.

Positive MacSuibhne On Feb 20, 2007, MacSuibhne from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Within two months of planting three 1-gallon Esperanzas, two of them were already over 6', the third only lagging behind because it had been too busy making more flowers than it had leaves. By winter, all three were well over 9' and had multiple trunks. These things grow like weeds, and I'd highly recommend cutting any seed-pods you see while they're still green -- as I just spent all day pulling up sprouts from the beds around them. Can be grown either as a shrub or trained into a tree. I prefer the latter ;)

Positive katsew On Jul 14, 2006, katsew from Sandia, TX wrote:

This is a true Texas superstar. I have five, and two have grown beyond nine feet tall. They grow very quickly once they are established, and they will often pop up on their own from seed. Cut the beans for continued bushiness and bloom.

Positive GD_Rankin On Jul 5, 2006, GD_Rankin from San Antonio, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

These do really well here in south Texas. The ones I have seem to like a little shade, but I've also got one that gets 6-8 hours of full sun and it is doing fine. I'm currently attempting to start some cuttings from one I trimmed a bit yesterday. We'll see how that goes.

Positive knolan On May 29, 2006, knolan from Sugar Land, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Wonderful plant. Blooms from spring to first freeze. Lots of babies sprout in bed from seed pods and the babies transplant very well. I started with one plant and now have 8 large, healthy bushes. Grows into a large shrub or can be trained into a small tree. Very drought tolerant. You can cut back each spring or allow to grow taller. Beautiful when planted in small groupings with hot pink bougainvella vining up in between them. No pests or diseases.

Positive Suze_ On Apr 3, 2006, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

Gorgeous, easy care, deciduous (in my zone). Grows to a medium sized bush each season. Easy to collect seeds from.

Positive crowellli On Nov 4, 2005, crowellli from Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

This is one of the most rewarding plants I've ever grown, especially when considering the little effort it requires for care. Virtually pest and disease free, very drought tolerant.

Positive htop On Sep 4, 2004, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Lots of these are coming up from last year's seeds around the base of my plants. I am not sure that they will be like the mother plant because it is a hybrid. I have read that it is best to start them from cuttings which I have never done. They are supposed to root very easily.

Positive i_chaney On Aug 17, 2004, i_chaney from Houston, TX wrote:

I had baught gold star tree and it is doing fine in my backyard. Needs little care and since I have planted it , there are butterflies in my yard. I have collected the dried pods. This plant is so beautiful that I want to have many of them. Can anyone tell me how to start from seeds ?

Neutral Terry On Sep 22, 2001, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Gold Star Esperanza is an intermediate between Tecoma stans var. stans (Yellow Elder) and T. stans var. angustata (Arizona Yellow Bells). It blooms much younger than either parent, and is sold as an annual and/or container plant in many areas.

Orange Beach, Alabama
Poway, California
Santa Clara, California
Big Pine Key, Florida
Daytona Beach, Florida
Delray Beach, Florida (2 reports)
Dunnellon, Florida
Kenner, Louisiana
Lafayette, Louisiana
New Orleans, Louisiana
Saint Francisville, Louisiana
Las Vegas, Nevada (2 reports)
Muskogee, Oklahoma
Brownsville, Texas
Bryan, Texas
Carrollton, Texas
Colmesneil, Texas
Conroe, Texas (2 reports)
Corpus Christi, Texas (2 reports)
Cypress, Texas
Emory, Texas
Fort Worth, Texas (2 reports)
Georgetown, Texas
Princeton, Texas
Rockport, Texas
Rosharon, Texas
Round Rock, Texas
San Antonio, Texas (6 reports)
Sandia, Texas