Cuckoo Pint, Lord's and Ladies, Adder's Tongue, Calves Foot, Sweethearts

Arum maculatum

Family: Araceae (a-RAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Arum (AIR-um) (Info)
Species: maculatum (mak-yuh-LAH-tum) (Info)

Bethlehem, Pennsylvania

On Oct 29, 2014, Clint07 from Bethlehem, PA wrote:

I suspect that xtine above had Arum italicum, not A. maculatum because the former stays green all winter but the latter does not.

Other than that, they're very similar. They're both beauties which put up their spathes and spadices around the same time, May, here in Zone 6. Then A. italicum dies back to come up again in October. It seems to be on a southern hemisphere cycle.

Both can be invasive, but planted next to and amid Japanese pachysandra in my yard, they are well behaved.

On Mar 23, 2014, robinworth1 from Deal
United Kingdom wrote:

If you live in an zone with extremely cold winters, this plant may be possible to control. If you live (as I do) in a country with mild winters and summers, and plenty of rain, then it will proliferate and you will find it impossible to eradicate. The rhizomes are hard to dig out 100% and will regenerate. Also it will propagate by seed. Only painting young plants by hand with neat glysophate will kill them.

It's not even pretty. Stick with plain white arum lilies!

On Sep 14, 2004, xtine from Richmond, VA wrote:

I live in Richmond,VA and from what I have read, this plant is native to the UK and Europe. No one has been able to identify this plant which I have growing in two areas of my yard. I saw a drawing of it in the flower fairy series by Cicely Mary Barker where it was identified as Lords-and-Ladies. It grows just as listed and adds nice color in the winter. It manages to live through the ice and snow and does well with lots of water and shade (due to where it is planted). I live in an old home that at some point had a rather impressive garden. The leaves are coming up right now in tight twists that pop through the soil. I am glad to have more information.

On Sep 22, 2001, Baa wrote:

The only British representitive of the Arum genus.

Has arrowhead shaped, mid to dark green, smooth, glossy leaves appearing as early as February, the leaves sometimes had purple or black markings which seems to be a warning sign. Bears large, pale green spathe which hides the true white flowers. The purple, central spike carries male flowers above the female flowers which mature at different times. The spathe dies away as the berries are forming. Berries begin green and mature to bright red or reddish orange in early summer.

Flowers April-May, don't get your nose too close, they are polinated by carrion flies and have a faint aroma of rotting flesh.

Romps away on moist, leafy humus rich soil in partial shade and is great for a woodland setti... read more