PlantFiles: Coral Vine
Antigonon leptopus

Family: Polygonaceae
Genus: Antigonon (an-TIG-oh-non) (Info)
Species: leptopus (LEP-toh-puss) (Info)

By simple layering
By air layering
By serpentine layering

Collect seedhead/pod when flowers fade; allow to dry

Thumbnail #1 of Antigonon leptopus by Floridian

Thumbnail #5 of Antigonon leptopus by Wingnut

Thumbnail #6 of Antigonon leptopus by Wingnut

Thumbnail #7 of Antigonon leptopus by Wingnut

Positive McAlexander9 On Nov 18, 2014, McAlexander9 from Ocotillo, CA wrote:

I have a question about the seeds of the coral vine. My vine has been blooming all summer and I am trying to figure out where the seeds in this come from? Do the flowers turn to seeds? Does it grow a pod on it? Please let me know! Thanks

Positive DavidLMo On Nov 12, 2014, DavidLMo from St Joseph, MO wrote:

In the colder zones, this plant can be potted up and over wintered indoors. In my experience this plant is a slow grower.

Negative nativelyeager On Apr 22, 2013, nativelyeager from Brooksville, FL wrote:

This is FLEPPC Invasive Exotic Cat II, unless you have it. Then it behaves like Cat I, taking over your home habitat if taken for granted. Birds, wild hogs, and 'coons will spread the seeds into wildlands, too, so the responsible thing to do is NOT PLANT this deceptive beauty. (You can harvest the seeds for food, but it is more work than our citizens generally care to do.)

Neutral nodnyl On Mar 9, 2012, nodnyl from Spring, TX wrote:

Grows will in Montgomery County, TX. The Renaissance Festival uses this vine extensively every autumn for natural decoration. I've always known it as "queen's wreath."

Positive wormfood On Jan 9, 2011, wormfood from Lecanto, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

Was reading info about this plant
"Antigonon leptopus, Polygonaceae, Mexican creeper. Coarse vine from Mexico with showy pink clusters of flowers; in Mexico the tuberous roots (which may weigh 14 lbs.) are eaten. "

Positive deepseas72 On Nov 26, 2010, deepseas72 from Houma, LA (Zone 9a) wrote:

This is such an elegant plant. I had dear friends who would set the table with candles and intertwine Queen's Wreath as a centerpiece. It is just gorgeous flowing out of a classical style vase. This is one of my all time favorite vines.

Positive Kiyzersoze On May 26, 2010, Kiyzersoze from Coral Springs, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

I love this vine!! It is in bloom almost all of the time. It does drop seeds that sprout but so far I do not find it invasive. It is starting to cover other plants but I will just cut it back. It does have alot of dead underbrush from our cold winter (low 40's for several days straight) this year.

Neutral BlueDesert On Jan 9, 2010, BlueDesert from Palm Springs, CA wrote:

This grows like a weed here in zone 9,Palm Springs, the California t desert- 115 degrees June thru Sept.). It can take full sun as long as it is watered. I recommend planting it in a huge pot. If left in the ground it is EXTREMELY INVASIVE and will cover and smother everything in site. I find it even more invasive than perennial morning glory or night-blooming jasmine. The leaves die back in the winter and look like holy hell for many months. For this reason I would suggest planting it somewhere you can easily trim it. You won't want to look at this mess all winter. I love the flowers and that it grows so fast but keep it in a pot or you'll regret it.

Positive khabbab On Jul 13, 2009, khabbab from lahore
Pakistan (Zone 10b) wrote:

Although this vine blooms nonstop from march till October in Lahore Pakistan but i could make it bloom only in August-October. I have it in a clay pot and its leaves dry in winter making it an ugly sight. I prune it before spring and new growth starts in April. Comes back heavily. Pink blooms are beautiful though not very big. It spreads more than it climbs up. I have seen this shrub/vine blooming like crazy in Lawrence garden lahore where it has spread like nuts. It should be given rotted cow dung in rainy season.

Positive CharmingGarden On Apr 25, 2009, CharmingGarden from Tallahassee, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I love the bright pink flowers on this vine. I have it growing on an arbor on north facing wall. it is just now beginning to come up and is about 12 inches tall. I have cut it back every year here (zone 8b) since the foliage dies in the winter, but it has always come back in the spring. I finally decided harvest seeds last fall and will try to germinate the seeds this year.

Negative amygirl On Nov 11, 2008, amygirl from Miami, FL wrote:

Antigonon leptopus is very invasive. It should not be planted in south Florida.

Positive redpondranch On Jun 3, 2008, redpondranch from Seguin, TX wrote:

My grandmother always called this "Queen's Crown". Whatever the name, it is nice and easy to grow, provided it has full sun and good drainage. It dies back in the winter in our area, but pops right out next spring and will cover an arbor in a season (or less). I have it planted and mingling with purple Passion Flower on my arbor, and the two flowers together make a nice show. Warning: Coral Vine isn't invasive, but Passion Vine sure is, so take note! Both are quite drought-tolerant, and attractive to butterflies.

Positive dubler On Apr 28, 2008, dubler from Bonham, TX wrote:

I lived in Houston for 20 years and always had this growing. I LOVE this plant. When we moved to north Texas (10 miles) from Okla, I tried to grow it here. We planted the pod deep, under the freeze line. I know it loves sunshine but not so much here. I have it planted under my hedges so it gets some. If in direct sunlight all day, it won't survive. We get hot here. I have to keep it watered. We are not so humid here so it dries out. It gets a later start here. It is almost May, and it is just now coming up about 8". But, it will grow and bloom and be gorgeous until it freezes. I cut all the dead off during the winter and in Spring, it comes back, year after year. It sends new plants underground to come up elsewhere. If you dig around you'll find they make a little potato like pod. If you plant that, it will grow. Or the seeds are great, after they dry. My nursery lady had some shipped in and didn't know what they were. I told her and she quickly planted one. She will love it I'm sure.

Positive inkihana On Apr 17, 2008, inkihana from Aspen, CO wrote:

When i was residing in southeast asia, the trailing blossom clusters were a staple in every fresh bridal bouquet!

Neutral DouginMtVernon On Apr 10, 2008, DouginMtVernon from Alexandria, VA wrote:

I recently acquired this plant and its growing already (its only April) outside up my fence. I am excited to try it. It may die back in the winter, but I expect as with my bananas and other subtropical palms, if well mulched and protected for our winter, it will come back. My backyard patio seems to function as an 8a microclimate, and I think I'm pushing it expecting it to come back, but we shall see!

Neutral frostweed On Nov 28, 2006, frostweed from Josephine, Arlington, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Coral Vine Antigonon leptopus is Naturalized in Texas and other States.

Positive pokito On Oct 14, 2006, pokito from Houston, TX wrote:

I saw this vine at the renasance festival near Houston Texas and its everywhere there and full of seeds right now 10/13/06.I think it likes dry conditions.

Neutral BSHinc On May 27, 2006, BSHinc from Carthage, TX wrote:

I planted the coral vine two days ago. Today it is wilting, not sure why. Could it be too much water? Not sure, needing help. Thanks

Positive dmj1218 On May 11, 2006, dmj1218 from west Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Grows very vigorously in this 8b garden too. Love the plant, blooms a lot stronger for me from August on into late fall.

This easy to grow southern heirloom vine is a native of Mexico and is a staple in most southern gardens. They like good drainage and are very drought tolerant once established. They are not at all invasive but are very vigorous growers and like a good 30-40 expanse of fence to grow along. They attract bees, butterflies, and hummers to gardens; and love it in full hot summer sun. This vine freezes down to ground level every year; but pops up mid-spring and stays in full bloom from May until first freeze. It is spectacular when backlit by autumn sunsets. Recommended for growing in zones 8b-10.

Positive JeanneTX On Sep 13, 2005, JeanneTX from Willis, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I am growing the White variety as well as the Rare Red Coral Vine here in Texas in Zone 8B..it is a very vigorous, drought tolerant vine since it is a native of Mexico..the Bees absolutely adore the flowers...

Positive cj5404az On Apr 29, 2005, cj5404az from Bisbee, AZ (Zone 8a) wrote:

I've finally succeeded in germinating these seeds and found that soaking them for 24 hours then nicking them helped a great deal. The seeds have a very hard shell and took about a month to germinate even w/the soaking and nicking. They don't like cold, either, and having temps above 70 really helps. Beautiful vine, though, well worth the efforts!

Positive tremax On Jan 9, 2005, tremax from Delray Beach, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

Easy to grow here in Delray Beach, Fl (zone 10). It loves to wander and turns up in odd places. Will climb at the slightest provocation. But it's pretty.

Neutral easter0794 On Jan 8, 2005, easter0794 from Seffner, FL wrote:

It has taken me a long time to identify this plant. I'm so glad I did. I was going to upload a picture but all the pictures here are lovely. This vigorous grower popped up in my yard and will cover my azaleas if I let it. It grows under a oak tree in shade here in zone 9B. I can pull it out and it will come right back. Keep it in control.

Positive punaheledp On Sep 28, 2004, punaheledp from Kailua, HI (Zone 11) wrote:

I know this vine as "chain of love", probably due to heart-shaped leaves and pink flowers. As children we would weave crowns from the flowers. I would consider it very invasive as it will grow over everything and anything and can be difficult to keep in check as it spreads like crazy. Bees love it.

Positive LaReina77 On Jun 30, 2004, LaReina77 from Phoenix, AZ (Zone 9a) wrote:

I purchased a coral vine from a local nursery and planted it a little over a year ago, May 2003. It grew pretty quickly over the summer and even had blooms towards late summer and early fall - to my surprise to say the least. I know nothing about gardening and crossed my fingers that it would survive! As it started getting colder in Phoenix, AZ (cold??) I could tell the vine was not doing well and I thought I was killing it. I watered it every now and then, but other than that I did nothing. In March/April I started watering it - giving it a good soak over night.. once a week or two weeks. And it's flourishing once again!! It's amazed me. It's starting to spill over the block wall.
I'm a little concerned about when it will get cold again. Should I be pruning or cutting it back? It looks kinda yucky when it dies back - but I worry about having to "re-train" it to climb the wall.

Positive WillowWasp On Jun 11, 2004, WillowWasp from Jones Creek, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Very pretty vine, fast growing and strong. It can cover fence quickly with beautiful coral flowers, hence the name. This is my first year to grow this one and I will grow it again....

Positive SallyM On Jun 19, 2003, SallyM from Gray, LA wrote:

Down here in Cajun Country, this plant is commonly known as Rose of Montana Vine. It grows from Spring to Fall. Then it dries up and we cut it back to the ground. It is fast growing and is seen frequently covering wire fences, barns, sheds, lattice, screen porch and bushes. It just keeps growing and blooming until the nights turn cool. I've enjoyed it's beautiful flowers since my childhood visits to my Grandma's. I've had the same vine growing on our fence for about fifteen years. It faithfully returns every Spring. The vine is hardy and insects don't seem to bother it. Bees, birds and butterflies seem to enjoy it, also.

Positive Wingnut On Oct 22, 2002, Wingnut from Spicewood, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

AKA Queen's Wreath. Simply gorgeous bloom grace this tough, drought tolerant vine, making it perfect for that hard-to-grow-in, full sun spot that's just out of reach of your water hose.

Neutral Floridian On Sep 23, 2001, Floridian from Lutz, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

A native to Mexico this rapidly growing climber holds on by tendrils and will soon cover adjacent plants and structures. It prefers full sun, is drought tolerant and is loved by butterflies. Propogation by seeds or 'volunteer' plants

Florala, Alabama
Headland, Alabama
Cave Creek, Arizona
Gilbert, Arizona
Green Valley, Arizona
Lake Havasu City, Arizona
Mesa, Arizona
Phoenix, Arizona (2 reports)
Queen Creek, Arizona
Surprise, Arizona
Tucson, Arizona (2 reports)
Aptos, California
Atlantic Beach, Florida
Boca Raton, Florida
Bonita Springs, Florida
Bradley, Florida
Brooksville, Florida (3 reports)
Cocoa, Florida
Dunnellon, Florida
Fort Pierce, Florida
Jacksonville, Florida (2 reports)
Lake Mary, Florida
Lakeland, Florida (2 reports)
Lutz, Florida
Melbourne, Florida
Naples, Florida
New Port Richey, Florida
Oakland, Florida
Pensacola, Florida
Pompano Beach, Florida
Sarasota, Florida (3 reports)
Sebastian, Florida
Seffner, Florida
Tallahassee, Florida
West Palm Beach, Florida
Winter Haven, Florida
Zephyrhills, Florida
Honolulu, Hawaii
Baton Rouge, Louisiana (2 reports)
Covington, Louisiana
Beaufort, North Carolina
Florence, South Carolina
Alice, Texas
Alvin, Texas
Austin, Texas (5 reports)
Bonham, Texas
Harlingen, Texas
Humble, Texas
Huntsville, Texas
Jacksonville, Texas
Liberty Hill, Texas (2 reports)
Mabank, Texas
Missouri City, Texas
New Braunfels, Texas
Pipe Creek, Texas
Plano, Texas
Premont, Texas
Rowlett, Texas
San Antonio, Texas (3 reports)
Seguin, Texas
Simonton, Texas
Spicewood, Texas
Spring, Texas (2 reports)
Spring Branch, Texas