Woman's Tongue, Siris Tree

Albizia lebbeck

Family: Mimosaceae
Genus: Albizia (al-BIZ-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: lebbeck (LEB-ek) (Info)
Synonym:Mimosa lebbeck
Synonym:Feuilleea lebbeck
Synonym:Acacia lebbeck
Synonym:Mimosa speciosa

over 40 ft. (12 m)

over 40 ft. (12 m)

From seed; germinate in a damp paper towel

Scarify seed before sowing

Sarasota, Florida

Sebring, Florida

Santa Fe, Texas

On May 16, 2013, siinew from San Antonio, TX wrote:

To all of you whining about this being an invasive species and saying things like "PEOPLE, EDUCATE YOURSELVES," I have this to say: "PEOPLE, EDUCATE YOURSELVES."
This is an AMAZING medicinal plant. The fact that it is invasive means there is that much more of it to use. It has been used in India for generations as a wound healer, among other things (the root), and here is a link to one of several studies on the subject, for those of you who love plants but are pretty much useless in regards to actual information of how we should be using them: [HYPERLINK@www.thieme-connect.de]

On Mar 9, 2013, AKajunGurl from Church Point, LA wrote:

I was hopeful when I acquired these seeds they were of the Royal Poinsettia, but as it turns out it's this variety of a Mimosa on steroids. I felt fortunate in my ability to get so many to germinate having scoffed the seeds prior. I planted 8 of them last spring and was amazed at the growth in one growing season. Some a mere 8' and others upward of 14 feet. I am just now learning these are considered invasives. I live in South Louisiana and was looking for a tree that was fast growing (this one is) that would provide shade very quickly (I'm in my 50's) and wanted to be able to enjoy some while I was healthy and could still get about . These trees apparently will provide what I am looking for. My concern, will generations to come regret my decision? I did notice that Louisiana is not mentio... read more

On Jan 2, 2012, minpin3165 from Port Charlotte, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

I know folks like this tree cause its pretty, etc. BUT please folks I work for DEP eradicating exotic plants from our state and it is costly and deadly for animals and plants that belong here.
there are so many natives to use, educate yourself!!!!
go to your local University extension or go to local library most have a master gardener there once to twice a month. Go to Florida Natives website, lots of them out there.
Also plant for butterflies adn Monarachs too

On Jan 2, 2012, nativelyeager from Brooksville, FL wrote:

Sorry about being NEGATIVE, but positive comments re Albizia lebbeck and other pest plants always bug me. Overcoming the prettiness of so many our pest plants is tricky, but knowing there are so many wonderful alternatives helps. Thankfully previous commenters already pointed this out, as well as A. lebbeck's Cat I FL EPPC listing. One other important thing.....You might want to acknowledge this tree has a high potential to get ahold of your property (or your neighbors' land or the conservation area nearby!) causing the need to get rid of it. Then you need to know that can be difficult -- annoying at the least -- because it is a big, strong legume, with a robust tap root and a resistence to commonly used herbicide. Best? Just don't plant A. lebbeck, please, and if there's one nearby, wat... read more

On Mar 11, 2005, NativePlantFan9 from Boca Raton, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

Woman's Tongue or Siris Tree (Albizia lebbeck) is a Category One Invasive by the Florida Exotic Pest Plant Council (FLEPPC). It is very invasive in many natural and disturbed areas in central and southern Florida, the Keys, the Bahamas, the Caribbean, Hawaii, and many of the Pacific Islands (zones 9a through 11). It is listed by the PIER (Pacific Islands Ecosystems At Risk) project as a species that has the possibilty to do serious potential harm to native plant species and island ecosystems.

The small to medium, yellowish, numerous seedpods reseed everywhere and abundantly, and the seeds are dispersed by birds to areas where they sprout, quickly grow into a large tree (can grow up to 30 or 40 feet high and possibly more) and quickly crowd out native plant species. Other wil... read more

On Dec 21, 2004, TREEHUGR from Now in Orlando, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Easy to mistake this for a locust tree or a number of other species. There are a million and a half better alternatives for this area. Before I knew what it was I planted a seed in a cup and 2 days later there was a 3" seedling in the cup. Yikes! Can you say Little shop of horrors! Class I invasive fleepc dot org

On Jun 5, 2004, Hardy_R from Nassau
Bahamas wrote:

Also grows in the Bahamas.

On Jun 7, 2003, MotherNature4 from Bartow, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

This is a Category I invasive pest in central and south Florida according to the Florida Exotic Pest Plant Council. It has trashy seed pods that hang on the tree after flowering, and it reseeds everywhere.

On May 24, 2003, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

The closest tree is 500 meters away from me, but when it blooms I can sense the sweet smell that comes from the flowers like it was planted right here next to my window.

On Aug 22, 2002, FLSuncoast from Sarasota, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

This tree is considered invasive here in Florida but the blooms are beautiful and this tree does provide a good amount of shade. Do not plant near anything the flowers can fall on as they are messy and can stain the paint on an automobile. Its roots are shallow and will destroy a walkway, driveway, etc. if planted too close. Wildlife love the seed pods.