Alligator Flag, Fire Flag, Red Stemmed Thalia
Thalia geniculata

Family: Marantaceae
Genus: Thalia (THAL-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: geniculata (gen-ik-yoo-LAH-tuh) (Info)

Ponds and Aquatics

Purple

Burgundy

Very high moisture needs; suitable for bogs and water gardens

From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

Phenix City, Alabama

Georgetown, Texas

Kemah, Texas

La Vernia, Texas

On Apr 6, 2015, greenthum3 from Jacksonville, FL wrote:

I bought a baby plant about 6 inches tall years ago. I now have 4 large planters full of this awesome plant. Very fast growth, bright red stems.Dies back every winter and comes back, very easy to propagate from splitting. I haven't repotted in several years and it hasn't complained. I live in zone 9b

On Sep 26, 2010, yogadoga from Ronkonkoma, NY wrote:

this is my first season with this plant in my koi pond. I purchased this as a single baby plant on ebay . within a month it had grown dramatically to the point that I had to transfer to a 5 gallon container. according to the information I've read it grows to 6ft height, my plant is well over 8 ft high she is in stones only, no soil and in around 3 inches of water.
I live in long island , ny.

my concern is how do I winter her? do I have to cut her down in order to put her at bottom of pond? she is way too big to store inside.

On Jun 1, 2010, LuvMyGreen from Clearwater, FL wrote:

i love this plant! its foliage is beatiful. very hardy and quick growing. i have mine in a pot and it sucks up water like crazy! seems to do best in half sun and half shade but see it in every type of light in the wild here in clearwater. awesome plant though. happy gardening

On Mar 23, 2007, joshz8a from z8a, AL (Zone 8a) wrote:

Last year planted this from a 6" pot into a 20" pot, and it grew so well I'll be repotting this spring into at least a 24" pot. Beautiful sturdy leaves the main attraction but enjoyed the delightful tiny flowers. Although I'd read it was a bog plant, I just gave it daily waterings in summer, weekly in winter, as with all my other containers and it did fine in full sun. josh

On Jul 9, 2003, wanda11 from Baton Rouge, LA wrote:

This plant has been very successful in my garden which is located in Zone 8b. It started out last year as a small potted plant in one of my ponds, then I moved it and planted it in the ground. This year, the original plant is larger and we have a large number of new plants that sprouted from the seeds that dropped last year.

On Sep 25, 2001, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Thalia geniculata is slightly less hardy than T. dealbata. Its common name, Alligator Flag, may be the result of where the plant is found in its natural habitat, which is near the deeper water of the cypress swamps, where alligators are likely to be found.

Plant in shallow pond or in bogs where the soil will stay moist. It is reliably hardy to zone 8, but with mulching may survive winters outdoors as far north as zone 6. For best results, overwinter in a protected spot.

On Sep 24, 2001, Floridian from Lutz, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Alligator flag is a large broad leafed aquatic plant with small, delicate purple flowers. The bisexual flowers have 3 petals, 3 small sepals and hang in pairs on zigzag stems.
Its natural habitat is the freshwater wetlands of Florida and the West Indies. It blooms from around May through November.