Travelers Palm
Ravenala madagascariensis

Family: Strelitziaceae
Genus: Ravenala (ra-VEN-ah-la) (Info)
Species: madagascariensis (mad-uh-gas-KAR-ee-EN-sis) (Info)

over 40 ft. (12 m)

Green

Blooms all year

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

Grenoble,

Villers-lès-nancy,

Glendale, Arizona

Carlsbad, California

Encino, California

Huntington Beach, California

Newport Beach, California

Oceanside, California

Santa Barbara, California (2 reports)

Venice, California

Big Pine Key, Florida (2 reports)

Boca Raton, Florida

Palm Harbor, Florida

Port Charlotte, Florida

Port Saint Lucie, Florida

Punta Gorda, Florida

Rockledge, Florida (3 reports)

Saint Petersburg, Florida

Mission, Texas

Portland, Texas

negative

On Jul 14, 2012, deedeedink from Newport Beach, CA (Zone 10b) wrote:

Had a gloriously beutiful one thriving in my backyard for 12 years. It reached about 25 feet, had an enormous thick trunk, seemed to be doing great. Then two winters ago, which was fairly wet for southern Calif., it started to flower in February. It had flowered before, but this time it sent out TWO giant flowers at the same time! I had misgivings, as it was also a fairly cold year, hitting 34-38 F several times, and as I say, rather wet. It was growing in a raised mound, so drainage was good, but underneath my whole yard, deep down, is solid clay.
Anyway, to make a long story short, I believe the energy it took to flower, and the bad weather led to it's demise. It began a slow spiral downward after the flowers were fully bloomed out about June of that year. I kept hoping i... read more

On Feb 12, 2012, escot from Portalon
Costa Rica wrote:

I have the travelers palm growing in Costa Rica and it does well. However, the plant is over 10 years old and has never flowered. How long does it live? escot

On Aug 30, 2010, fromSXM wrote:

Hello everyone,

As we speak we are experiencing hurricane Earl here on Sint
Maarten. We have a beautiful variety of foxtail, royal and traveler palms, which have sadly been quite damaged.

I was hoping that someone knows what to do with a broken/snapped stem of a traveler palm, there are about 3 or 4 of them which are more in the middle than on the outside of the palm.

I hope we can save this beautiful tree and look forward to any advise. Thank you!

On Jun 8, 2010, pjalaff from Zephyrhills, FL wrote:

OK, so I got some shoots growing. Luckily I left them around, because last winter was brutal and killed the main palm/tree. I've decided to transplate a couple shoots to another location around the house, while removing the main (dead) one and rearranging other shoots. What the best way to do this?

Thanks!

On Feb 21, 2010, llelyn from N/A
Belize wrote:

If Spaceman_spiff dug up the 'shoots' instead of cutting them off he would solve the problem. They are seedlings, not suckers. I realise this comment comes years after his complaint!

On Sep 10, 2008, artisun from Sebastian, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I've several across the rear of my property & although they keep having "babies", they are acting as my privacy fence.

I also have my most favorite, in the center front focal point of my house & I don't know how to trim it as since going through several hurricanes in the last 5 years, the main, center tree has turned a bit from it's east/west fan, many of it's leaves are shredded, is at least 20 ft tall & the trunk is quite skinny. It also has may babies which are in all different directions.

I've also found that cutting anywhere on the stem of a leaf will result in part of next new leaf being cut as well.

On Mar 17, 2007, salcedoda from Orlando, FL wrote:

This is an awesome and huge palm tree. I have had it for five years (survived the three hurricanes). The tree has several off-shoots which I have kept because of the unique look behind my pool. I think the highest frond is about 30 feet. My concern is that I do not kill the tree by trimming too much.

On Jul 25, 2005, spaceman_spiff from Saint Petersburg, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I have one of these growing in my back yard here in St. Petersburg, Florida (zone 9b), and it is huge after only 3 years. However, I had heard and/or assumed that the reason it's called a "traveler's tree" or "traveler's palm" (although not really a palm) is because the leaves are always oriented in an east-west direction, not because of anything to do with water being stored inside, as mentioned above.

Anyway, it's a great addition to my yard and always receives many comments. It's at least 20 feet tall now, just starting to show its "trunk," and I just noticed two days ago that a flower is emerging, so I may post a photo or two in the next few days.

The only real drawback I consider is that it is constantly trying to "make babies" that shoot up near the ba... read more

Update on September 24, 2005

Back in July I expected to take photos of a newly-emerging flower spike on my specimen of this plant, but it took a lot longer for the spike to fully emerge than I expected! (I guess it takes a lot of energy and nutrients to make a bloom this big).

spaceman_spiff
(John)

On Oct 21, 2004, Hadrian999 from Brisbane
Australia wrote:

It's a very nice plant that I've successfully grown indoors for the last year, but does tend to need a large pot if grown indoors and a room with windows facing the equator (north facing in the southern hemisphere and south facing in the northern).

On Oct 11, 2004, deacon3 from Tampa, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Recently purchased two of these that were marked down for quick sale (7 gallon containers) that were damaged by the 3 Florida storms. Fronds are pretty damaged, however, one of the plants had a frond that was ready to open/bloom, and the next day after planting it did.

I don't know how to take care of this plant yet, my neighbor, who has various types of banana trees in his yard, said that he would leave the heavily leaning and damaged leaves on the plant; I did remove all the broken fronds.

On Apr 28, 2003, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

An interesting monocotyledoneous tree, with a palm like stem that may grow up to 20 m high. It has a rhyzome, of the same type as others of the same family, generating new stems every year. The leaves are huge, looking like banana tree's leaves. The petioles are disposed as a fan, and between them there's a space, where fresh water is stored (when it rains, the water infiltrates in those spaces, filling them with water. You could even drink it). The inflorescence ressembles the one of Heliconia, but green. Inflorescence and flowers aren't really visually important, but may atract birds. When the fruits rippen, lots of interesting blue seeds fall. I don't know how, but the seeds' blue coat seems to produce a certain pigment that could be extracted. Requires a rich organic soil, hot temperat... read more

On Sep 25, 2001, Floridian from Lutz, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Flower bracts and leaf sheaths hold rain water useful for emergency drinking, hence the common name. This palm-like tree needs rich, moist, well drained soil and a sunny spot in a hot climate.
Propagate by seeds in the spring or division of suckers at any time.