Inkberry, Gallberry
Ilex glabra 'Chamzin'

Family: Aquifoliaceae (a-kwee-foh-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Ilex (EYE-leks) (Info)
Species: glabra (GLAY-bruh) (Info)
Cultivar: Chamzin
Additional cultivar information:(aka Nordic)

Blue-Green

Partial to Full Shade

Shiny/Glossy-Textured

Valparaiso, Indiana

Perry, Ohio

On Aug 30, 2015, Rickwebb from Downingtown, PA wrote:

Lake County Nursery introduced it to the trade and sells it in northern Ohio, and it is very cold hardy up to USDA Zone 3. Its leaves are deep lustrous green that glisten in the sunlight. it has a more compact, rounded form than the species. The nursery lists it at 3 to 4 feet high and wide, but in time I am sure by itself it will get much bigger, unless pruned. Most of the Inkberry cultivars have been female, so it is good to have a male form. I should get one to try to increase the black fruit on my Shamrock and Dense cultivars so the birds will have some more berry food, here in southeast PA. The species is native from Nova Scotia down the East Coast throughout Florida and along the Gulf Coast to east TX.

On Jun 2, 2013, plant_it from Valparaiso, IN wrote:

Although inkberries are dioecious (separate male and female plants), NORDIC is a male selection that produces no fruit. It is native to Eastern North America from Nova Scotia to Florida to Louisiana (hugs the coasts). As a native plant gardener, I've been looking for a native plant that is also evergreen. Ilex glabra fits the bill. However, since I'm in Indiana I'm out of it's native range. So I was delighted to find NORDIC since it's male, won't produce fruit and I don't have to worry about the birds spreading it's seeds all over my woods.

On Apr 26, 2013, braun06 from Peoria Heights, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

Of all of the cultivars of this plant, for northern zones of its range this one is the most recommended for planting by me. I did a stress test on some cheap 2 dollar late season plants the store got just to see how they did.

In central Illinois inkberry are questionable landscape plants as for one reason or another they rarely seem to thrive in exposed plantings as they do just 2 hours east of here in Indiana. Here to have a good looking plant they need to be placed in somewhat shady locations where moisture availabilty can be high with a mulched root zone.

I planted mine in a low swale area in full sun with no mulching. They retained their green color year round and grew but also became leggy through drought as might be expected. In severe drought a... read more