Purple Allamanda, Rubber Vine
Cryptostegia grandiflora

Family: Asclepiadaceae (ass-kle-pee-ad-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cryptostegia (krip-toh-STEEJ-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: grandiflora (gran-dih-FLOR-uh) (Info)

Violet/Lavender

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

Collect seedhead/pod when flowers fade; allow to dry

Tempe, Arizona

Interlachen, Florida

Lake Worth, Florida

Land O Lakes, Florida

Palm Bay, Florida

Pompano Beach, Florida (2 reports)

Saint Petersburg, Florida

Humble, Texas

Manvel, Texas

On Jun 23, 2015, PlantPono from Hilo, HI
United States wrote:

Purple Allamanda (Allamanda blanchetii) and Rubber Vine are two different plants! Rubber Vine, Cryptostegia grandiflora, is one of the worst invasive plants in Australia. Hawaii is working to eradicate this fast growing pest before it smothers our forests and water ways. The seed pods can contain 340-840 seeds and will sprout after soaking in salt water for a month. Cryptostegia grandiflora is poisonous to animals and humans who eat this plant and those who come into contact with the milky white sap often suffer burning rashes and blisters.

On Jul 3, 2013, parkterracegardener wrote:

I've only grown this in a pot, and find it vigorous. I am alarmed by its use in the south. According to the Australian Department of Agriculture . . . this is a tenacious weed with tremendous seeding and germination power. See
Any use in a tropical environment looks as if it should be monitored.

On Feb 13, 2010, chasebusiness from Harlingen, TX wrote:

I bought one potted from a local nursery and it didn't look very formidable, but wow! I planted it in the corner of our fence with a little metal trellis to start it on a few years ago. In just a couple of hears it became 10 feet wide, 12 -15 feet tall, climbed over to the neighbor's tree limbs and took over their tree. I prune it back every year... this year after a freeze and the foliage was gone, I cut it WAY back and it's coming back again already. It has beautiful lavender blooms very often. I live in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas, which is zone 9b. I heard it was poisonous and the milk that drips when pruning is a little irritating on my skin. I worry about it being TOO invasive (I've cut the vine going to the neighbor's tree, but don't know if that will kill it off of it... read more

On Jan 21, 2010, grevs from bundaberg
Australia wrote:

i can't believe the US government allows this plant to be grown. It is a noxious weed in Australia and Hawaii, and is likely to be in the warmer parts of USA (Florida?). Hopefully in colder climates it won't grow at all.

On Jul 1, 2009, aroller from Toms Brook, VA wrote:

Our family was recently vacationing in Lake Lure, NC (mountains near Asheville). I came across this plant near one of the pools and just loved it. It was in full bloom, light pink flowers on gracefully draping vines - absolutely stunning. It was not growing on anything else, but rather a freestanding shrub, approx. 5-6 feet tall, 4 feet wide. It had definitely spread, as there were about three smaller, well rooted shrubs beginning close by. I've been looking to ID it all over the internet, as I had never seen it before, and finally found it on this site. Unfortunately, my research makes me think it would not do well in the Shenandoah Valley of North-Western, VA, zone 6, nor would it be a good plant to have in a garden shared with dogs/cats/kids as it is said to be poisonous. I'd lov... read more

On Jan 9, 2009, tempetreehugger from Tempe, AZ (Zone 9b) wrote:

We have two in our yard..for about two years now, one growing up our only dead tree. Hope it covers it and blooms profusely. I have one one of those weird seed pods on the vine.Gonna experiment with growing with the seeds...totally cool plant i got from a local nursery.

On Jun 15, 2008, lauraroxie from Saint Petersburg, FL wrote:

Saw one of these in a very run down lawn in zone 9B. We had temperatures as low as 26 this winter and I'm quite sure it wasnt protected. Looks gorgeous this summer. I saw the owner out in his yard and asked if i could look for seed pods. I found only 6 on 12ft mound. The pod are very very hard to crack both fresh and dried. I'm going to give both dried and fresher seeds a shot and will report what, if any, success I have.

On Nov 10, 2004, Harleydeby from Eustis, FL wrote:

I got my Yellow Allamanda this spring and have enjoyed her flowers all summer long, and now that it's November, she is still in full bloom. This morning I found a seed pod on her! It's the size of a golf ball and is thorny. From what I have found on the web, this pod will dry out and the seed will have a feathery type of puff on them which can be carried via the wind. I'll have to be very careful indeed to catch the seed before they blow away. The use of an old panty hose piece tied around the pod should work fine, just as I do for my Datura seed pods. I'm going to attempt to propogate them and will update if I have any luck. Probably, the tried and true method of soft wood cuttings will be easier, hehehe.

On Jun 4, 2004, rudyjiek from Mulberry, FL wrote:

I just recently purchased this plant, about 5 weeks ago. It is doing beautifully, blooming continuously. I new nothing about this plant when I purchased it. I have it planted in a courtyard that isn't very large and after reading how large they grow, I am a little concerned. My plant looks more like a weeping tree and it is about 5 feet tall. I am starting to get loads of seed pods developing instead of flower buds. I don't know if I should pinch these off and more flowers will come or if I should let them develop. My tree also has 11 large seed pods on it already and they are starting to turn brown. Should I let them continue to dry on the tree and also, can you grow another tree from the seed? If anyone has any answers to these questions, I would surely appreciate it. Thanks.

On Jun 7, 2003, dirtyhandsfl from Clearwater, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

Have one speciman plant that is 15-20'tall and wide. Beautiful when in bloom, have been unable to propogate trying several methods. Was able to find 2 small plants that were volunteers. Have seen no seed pods to plant. Sap is very irritating to skin. Many pluses and minuses with this plant. More positive

On May 24, 2003, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

As any Asclepiadaceae, be very careful with this plant. Almost 100% of this familys species are very poisonous if ingested

On Jun 16, 2002, beckwith from Astor, FL wrote:

We first saw Purple Allamanda at St. Thomas, Virgin Islands.
They had grown into 20' trees with 12" diameter trunks.
We purchased a 4' specimen which we lost at 30 deg. in Central Florida. Bought another, same size, planted it and covered it through several 28-30 deg. nights. It survived. losing only several branch tips, and is now prospering, 6' tall, covered with beautiful purple trumpet-shaped flowers which continually fall as they are replaced by newly-opening buds. Pods develop early June here.