Tomato 'Sweet Ozark Orange'

Lycopersicon lycopersicum

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Sweet Ozark Orange

Regular Leaf

Ozark, Missouri

Hutto, Texas

On Sep 16, 2013, dreaves from Hutto, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Planted this year after receiving trial seeds from the original grower. I found the plants to be vigorous, with good foliage to protect the tomatoes from too much sun. The plants were not at all wispy like its parent 'German Red Strawberry' is for me.

'Sweet Ozark Orange' was a good producer for me, comparable to my staple hybrid, 'Big Beef.' The tomatoes themselves were nice-sized, very sweet, and meaty. They have the meatiness of the parent 'German Red Strawberry' without the tendency to bruise as easily as the GRS that I have grown. If you like a tangy tomato, pick a little early while it is yellow rather than orange for a nice acid bite. The sweetness grows more pronounced as the color gets darker.

I've had trouble with yellow/orange tomatoes produ... read more

On Sep 15, 2013, Ozark from Ozark, MO (Zone 6a) wrote:

I intentionally crossed German Red Strawberry with Dr. Wyche's Yellow in 2009. The resulting F1 generation hybrids in 2010 were large red semi-heart tomatoes with only fair flavor. This large orange beefsteak strain with excellent flavor appeared in only one plant among many wild variations the following generation, in 2011. I have grown this new open-pollinated variety for three seasons now, and I believe it is stable. The tomatoes are large, sweet, bright orange when ripe, and meaty. The plants have thick regular-leaf foliage and are very productive. I believe this is a much-improved descendant of Dr. Wyche's Yellow, benefiting from the addition of German Red Strawberry genes which show up in the characteristics of excellent flavor and meatiness with little pulp.