PlantFiles: Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow, Morning-Noon-and-Night, Paraguay Jasmine, Eternity Plant
Brunfelsia australis

Genus: Brunfelsia (brun-FELZ-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: australis (aw-STRAL-iss) (Info)

Violet/Lavender

Thumbnail #5 of Brunfelsia australis by Clare_CA

Thumbnail #6 of Brunfelsia australis by Clare_CA

By OlgaN
Thumbnail #7 of Brunfelsia australis by OlgaN

Positive MollyMc On Mar 23, 2008, MollyMc from Archer/Bronson, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have one growing here in zone 8b, lowest temps in winter down to 12-15 degrees. I assumed it came back from root stock, but discovered just now that it is growing new leaves from the old branches. I think I need to change this to hardiness 8b

Positive emama2 On Apr 22, 2005, emama2 from Tampa, FL wrote:

I just bought another Brunfelsia yesterday. I bought a house last year that had a huge plant in the backyard, and when it bloomed it was awesome!! I searched the web to find the name, and just love it. I live in Tampa, and this plant (10ft) bloomed for months before going into a rest period. Now, I have the new plant which will go in the front yard. I really think it deserves to be seen, it is so spectacular. The one in the backyard is too large to move, so I plan to put in a Koi pond near it and build a deck next to it, so it will give as much enjoyment as possible!!

Positive Jamespayne On Jun 15, 2004, Jamespayne from Sebring, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

When I bought my Brunfelsia several months ago, it was about 2 feet tall and just ending a flowering phase. I kept the plant moist until it had finished blooming. I planted the plant in my landscape in March and it has tripled in size!!. I can not wait for it to flower again! It will really put on a show wnen it blooms again, and you can bet I will send a photograph to The Plants Database!

Positive peterleroux On Oct 17, 2002, peterleroux wrote:

VERY slow growing. Covered with strong-scented jasmine-like flowers which open purple and fade to white over a few days. Flowers off previous year's growth so prune immediately after flowering for best results in following year.

Ashland, California
Norwalk, California
Sacramento, California
San Marino, California
Archer, Florida
Big Pine Key, Florida
Brandon, Florida
Fort Mc Coy, Florida
Jacksonville, Florida (2 reports)
Lady Lake, Florida