PlantFiles: Pot Marigold, English Marigold
Calendula officinalis

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Calendula (ka-LEN-dew-luh) (Info)
Species: officinalis (oh-fiss-ih-NAH-liss) (Info)

Synonym:Calendula officinalis var. prolifera

Not Applicable

Orange

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season
This plant is resistant to deer

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

By poppysue

Thumbnail #6 of Calendula officinalis by TomC_UK

By Dinu
Thumbnail #7 of Calendula officinalis by Dinu

Positive Dosetaker On Sep 7, 2012, Dosetaker from Mason, NH (Zone 5b) wrote:

Such an easy to grow and carefree plant with flowers as cheery as these should not be overlooked when selecting your annuals.

Positive BUFFY690 On Sep 18, 2011, BUFFY690 from Prosperity, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

Had a great experience with this plant in early 2011 (jan-Mar) I harvested petals and ate them in salads and over fish dishes, and harvested seeds to try and grow them again. Well I have had 100% germination direct sowed into my pots for fall flowering and my plants are growing great. I plant to sow some later in the winter for early spring growing as well.
May be able to forgo the purchase of mums this year with all the calendulas growing out :O) Yea for saving $

Positive CCPikie On Aug 20, 2011, CCPikie from Elmhurst, IL wrote:

I grew these from seed, just to try something new. They're very undemanding. They reseed and some seed overwinters. Nice size flowers on plants usually less than twelve inches tall, all in shades of yellow to orange. Easier than marigolds.

Positive sonomarose On Jun 15, 2009, sonomarose from Sonoma, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I started with one basic orange calendula a few years ago. Now I have tons of calendula plants just from reseeding, and they're not all the same as the original plant. Some are dark orange, bright yellow or mixed, and some have double and triple layers of petals. Anyone else experienced this? I've just started collecting seeds and I don't know if they will grow true to form, but I'm going to plant them and see what happens.
I'm in zone 9 in Sonoma, CA and it's very windy where I live. The new plants tend to grow within about 10-12 feet of existing plants, and they're very drought tolerant.

Positive dragon12 On Jun 8, 2009, dragon12 from Waukesha, WI wrote:

This plant grows great in full sun in my zone 5 wisconsin yard. Easy to grow from seed and plant out in spring. I recieved some seed from my mother that she got from her father. They had been in a drawer for about 15 years and to my surprise they still sprouted.

Neutral anelson77 On May 19, 2009, anelson77 from Seattle, WA wrote:

easy to grow in sun, bright, long blooming, reseed but not too freely. My only objection is that after blooming the plants get ratty looking and sometimes mildew.

Neutral tcs1366 On Dec 2, 2008, tcs1366 from Leesburg, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

For me, these were quite drought resistant, as the only water they got was from rain. Bloomed past our first frost, and went strong in to mid-November. There were still blooms when i finally pulled them all up. Started out neat and compact, but as the season went on, they just kept growing, and growing ... blooming and blooming. They reseed like crazy and quickly germinate, and even bloom. Quickly deadhead spent flowers if you do not want seedlings.

The flowers are very "daisy" like, not at all like a marigold. Nice bright Yellows and Oranges... will brighten any flower bed.

Positive Almaden On Dec 1, 2007, Almaden from San Jose, CA wrote:

An intriguing behavior in our San Jose (CA) clay soil garden is the sprouting of mini-blooms from a spent original bloom. Out of the center of a spent flower as many as 10 miniflowers will subsequently bloom simultaneously. This doesn't happen with all blooms, only around 2percent.

Mildew is a problem here, too, so agressive trimming of mildewed stems and branches keeps the plant tidy, and always sending up fresh foliage and buds.

This is a 12-month bloomer in our garden.

Neutral macybee On Oct 12, 2007, macybee from Deer Park, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I have to give them lots of water in this heat.

Positive WaterCan2 On Sep 2, 2007, WaterCan2 from Eastern Long Island, NY (Zone 7a) wrote:

Takes awhile to bloom if started from seed, sandy soil is no impediment. Full sun and tolerant of neglect, add the flower petals to rice, salads, and soups - use like a mild saffron. Flowers are reminiscent of Strawflowers but petals are soft, not dry. Great for the front border. Leaves seem susceptible to powdery mildew so water in am or early afternoon.

Positive WUVIE On Apr 22, 2007, WUVIE from Hulbert, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Several years ago I tossed a good quantity of
Calendula seeds into a drawer and literally forgot
about them.

For kicks, I scuffed a trough in the soil, dumped them
in and put two glass domes over them. I could not believe
it, the silly things popped up in just a couple of days after
all this time in the drawer.

I remember now why I loved them so much. They are
so easy, so trouble free!

Positive tardigrade On Feb 5, 2006, tardigrade from Palo Alto, CA wrote:

Seems to thrive on neglect and reseeds rapidly. Supposedly an annual, I've had plants live 2-3 years in northern California. I give them no water at all in summer (heavy clay soil), but that hasn't slowed them down!

Neutral Suze_ On Jan 19, 2006, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

More of a spring bloomer in my area -- doesn't hold up well to the heat.

Positive Gabrielle On Jan 15, 2006, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

I love this because it blooms continuously even past the first frost. I don't like fussy annuals, so this one is perfect for me! When they need deadheading, I crop them back, give the cuttings to my rabbits, and let it go again. Darkness aids germination of seeds. Blooms May - November in my garden.

Positive PurplePansies On Jul 2, 2005, PurplePansies from Deal, NJ (Zone 7a) wrote:

Calendula is easy to grow .... once plants sprout but it should be noted that calendula seeds to not have a terribly long shelf life so sow more than you want to grow (to aid germination). There are a variety of colors and cultivars (most orange or likewise similar). Mine usually get about 12 inches. This is the calendula used to make medicinal calendula preparations. There are a few calendula varieties particularly (high in resins) suited to medicinal use.

Positive CatskillKarma On May 3, 2005, CatskillKarma from West Kill, NY wrote:

Calendula is one of my favorite annuals. I don't have problems with invasive reseeding here in the Catskills. My calendulas are usually the last annuals still alive after frosts hit in the fall, and I would love them just for that, but they are also quick to bloom, cheery, make great cut flowers, and are extremely easy to grow. They now come in a variety of cultivars, although the old Pacific beauties are my standby. Some cultivars have green centers, some black centers, and some are fully double. I have also grown a cultivar with a high essential oil content--its labeled in German, something like erfurter urbungen. That is weedier looking and entirely orange, and takes much longer to bloom--90 days, vs about 40 for the Pacific Beauties. I'm looking forward to trying a new cactus-flowered cultivar this year. The petals are tubular like cactus-flowered dahlias or zinnias.

Positive ladyannne On May 2, 2005, ladyannne from Merced, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Oh boy, watch where you put this or faithfully dead head the flowers. The seeds do not have to be dried in order to pop and procreate. It does provide the cheeriest colour and makes the most soothing salve.

Positive grovespirit On Jan 31, 2005, grovespirit from Sunset Valley, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

This plant grows great in sandy soil and can deal with either sun or shade. Very easy to grow and quite pretty. Flowers do well if cut and put in arrangements.

Positive LilyLover_UT On Jan 16, 2005, LilyLover_UT from Ogden, UT (Zone 5b) wrote:

Highly recommended for beginners -- I really can't think of an easier plant to grow from seed. Calendulas are a great addition to the herb or vegetable garden since they are edible, and they attract beneficial insects.

Positive zapyon On Apr 20, 2004, zapyon from Cologne
Germany wrote:

Will sow itself out for the next season. But in protected places, like near to the house walls or in a sunny, but wind-protected corner, the plants will even survive a frosty winter (Germany, Rhine valley, near Cologne). So "annual" is somewhat relative for this plant. Sadly it seems near impossible to find wild type plants, at least here in Germany. If somebody has the wild plants and could send me some seeds I would be very happy.

Neutral noxiousweed On Nov 12, 2003, noxiousweed from El Sobrante, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Calendula's bright color is a welcome visitor in my garden. They are easy to collect seeds from, easy to start from seed, completely edible (good for puppies!) - I'm most fond of the semi-double blooms myself. They freely reseed but are easy to pull if you want to remove them.

However ... I have often - maybe even always - had problems with mildew as the plants age. They are/would be perennial in my zone except I always end up pulling them when they become so dreadfully unattractive downed by mildew. :o(

Positive Chrysalid On May 27, 2003, Chrysalid wrote:

Allegedly deters pests, so plant liberally in vegetable garden or with other annuals in beds and containers to repel insects. Also has medicinal purposes, and is used in cooking, teas, lotions. etc.

Is fast growing, easy to grow, recommended for junior gardeners (petals are edible and seeds easy to hold). Its origin is Southern Europe

Neutral smiln32 On Aug 30, 2002, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Needs well-drained soil and prefers moderate watering. If you are in a mild winter zone 9-10, you can set them out in September and they will flower throughout the winter and into spring. They are somewhat prone to powdery mildew.

Neutral Terry On Mar 14, 2001, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

This colorful yellow and orange flowered annual will reseed itself if not deadheaded. Flowers bloom all summer into fall. Direct seed 1/2" deep, 1" apart in May, or start indoors 5-6 weeks before last frost date.

Calendula flowers are edible, and are a beautiful addition to salads. If cooked with rice, will create a saffron color.

Auburn, Alabama