PlantFiles: Night Blooming Jasmine, Night Scented Jessamine, Queen of the Night
Cestrum nocturnum

Genus: Cestrum (SES-trum) (Info)
Species: nocturnum (NOK-ter-num) (Info)

Pale Green

Late Fall/Early Winter

From seed; stratify if sowing indoors
By air layering

Thumbnail #6 of Cestrum nocturnum by weeds

By jules_jewel
Thumbnail #7 of Cestrum nocturnum by jules_jewel

Positive Rita61 On Aug 29, 2013, Rita61 from Rock Hill, SC (Zone 8a) wrote:

I love my Night Blooming Jasmine. I keep it outside during the Spring and Summer and bring it on my enclosed porch in the Fall. It blooms all through the Winter and my porch smells heavenly. I live in South Carolina and have no problems with it at all.

Positive pearl On Jun 19, 2013, pearl from (Deb) Pensacola, FL (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is a very forgiving shrub to grow. As it says it grows to be about 8 - 10 feet tall. I give it a hard pruning in late spring to about half it's size and it always comes back lush with new growth. Very easy to propagate with either softwood cutting or by layering.

Positive premanand On May 12, 2013, premanand from Bhubaneswar
India wrote:

The Night-Queen or Raat ki Rani (as known in INDIA) is a very good sceneted plant. Here at India this plant don't need any extra care as it will grow in full sunlight or even in shadow. But due to its strong scent you should plant it a little distance from your window as it is just like heavenly feeling if you get the light smell. Remember to cut the over grown parts regularly as the new branches will flower soon.

Positive fishbucket On Jun 30, 2012, fishbucket from Bayonet Point, FL wrote:

Nothing like the smell of the night bloomer! my neighbors are envious! I don't even water it or tend to it except to trim it away from where I park my boat....One is enough though. Don't go for the over-kill smell. It is a very enjoyable passionate smell that I enjoy.
I have several types of jasmine in my yard and love the confederate as much but it doesn't bloom as often and so powerfully delioucious.

Neutral TheMTChelle On Jun 11, 2012, TheMTChelle from Cocoa, FL wrote:

I bought what I believe to be Night Blooming Jasmine (it was labeled such at Walmart) last fall. It is growing rapidly, the vines wrapping and twining around a trellis I purchased just for the plant. It grows and grows, but no blooms! It's now June. Can anyone advise how long it takes for this plant to bloom? Also, why would some people report blooms with no smell? Are some plants cheap and poorly cultivated or something, depending on where you buy them? Any and all advice welcome! :)

Neutral serenityowl On Feb 2, 2012, serenityowl from Greenwood, SC wrote:

I purchased a two foot tall plant in Spring of last year. I grew up in California and we had night blooming jasmine outside the kitchen window. The scent was heavenly and I wanted to recapture those memories. I planted in full sun near a bird feeder thinking the post would offer some support. I waited eagerly for it to grow and bloom, but I never had a blooming period and thought that perhaps the plant is simply "too young". I agonized as I watched it drop it's leaves and turn brown this winter. I am hoping that with spring, it will regain it's greenery and maybe have a blooming season this year. It has not been a difficult winter here in South Carolina ... is it typical for the plant to brown during the cold season?? The other jasmine I planted during the same time period (Mandevilla) bloomed like mad and grew like crazy, but it also turned brown and lost all its leaves this winter. Any experts out there that can advise me?? Many thanks!

Positive susankewn On Jun 11, 2011, susankewn from Marco de Canaveses
Portugal (Zone 9a) wrote:

After reading this page last year, I decided I would try to find a plant - I love fragrance! After much hunting I found a really nice sized one - about 2 feet tall - by accident in a very small nursery.

I placed in on our balcony and was rewarded by it's strong 'bubblegum' like smell! It is a pleasant smell and I was looking forward to seeing an even bigger plant this year. Unfortunately, our winter was much colder than normal - we went down to -7˚ C which is pretty unheard of here in northern Portugal. And to my regret it was very dead this spring.

My husband and I were visiting the UK and family for a month, and we set up the automatic watering system and had not removed this plant from the system. We arrived back to find .... 'a weed' growing in the pot, which I was just going to throw out .. A day or two later, I was talking to my husband, looking through the window onto the balcony .. and ..saw ... a long stalk with many leaves.. and then noticed a few smaller ones! I rushed out in midsentence to discover that once I had pulled out the grass seedlings THERE was my Night Scented Jasmine !!! Talk about hardy !! I was amazed! I am keeping my eye on it and am going to repot it shortly! Fingers crossed everyone !!

Positive td1026 On Jun 1, 2011, td1026 from Groveland, FL wrote:

It's no surprise that this plant is very common throughout Florida! It's one of my favorites, one I definitely could not go without. The scent is absolutely amazing. There is nothing quite like it. It's pungent and sweet, strong and sensual. Reminiscent of candy, very much like bubblegum. I picked up a number of these at a Lowe's in Clermont after some searching. I would follow the advice some have given about acclimating this plant to full sun as a lot of the bottom leaves on 3 of my specimens turned yellow and dropped off after immediate planting in all day full sun! 2 of the plants have about 6-7 hours while the others have 8-9 hours of sun and the former are looking better and don't need as much water. I heard these were drought tolerant, but since mine aren't established yet, I've had to water them every two or so days, as the leaves tend to droop and look horrible. Fragrance starts as soon as the sun sets and gets stronger as the night goes on. I like to bring in cuttings at night and leave them next to my bed for sweet dreams, they smell that good! If you live in the right growing zone, definitely give night blooming jasmine a try, it'd be a shame if you didn't.

Positive SkeptikSharon On May 11, 2011, SkeptikSharon from Ontario, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

My neighbor has a large specimen of this plant growing right next to the fence line (chain link fence). It definitely grows thick and requires pruning. I have never once noticed a smell to the night blooming jasmine, and now I am curious about what it is supposed to smell like and why this one wouldn't really smell. I do love the beautiful little flowers on it, whether they last long or not. I am going to try to grow one from cuttings from this one to fill in a corner of my backyard that is in need of something.

Negative bobbear On Jan 23, 2011, bobbear from Bayside, NY wrote:

when i lived in Laguna Bch Ca. i had a number of jasmines..lovely scented pink and white varietys..and a great large stepahotis(madagascar jasmine) ..all lovely scented...i did also have one Night Blooming Jasimine(jessamine) and i had to chop it back substantially because of its unwelcomed and cloying fragrance..i guess i could ony describe it as if someone poured sticky honey all over your face.....not welcomed at all...my partner at the time loved the scent but it was so overwhelming that we'd have disagreements on the plants value in the garden..its not a pretty nor delicate refreshing fragrance as other jasmines are........an unwelcome and invasive plant in the garden in my opinion......

Positive deepseas72 On Nov 26, 2010, deepseas72 from Houma, LA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Can anything be more heavenly than the scent of Night Blooming Jasmine on a sultry summer night? It makes one pause and search eagerly for the source. Hummingbird moths adore it. To view the plant in the light of day, you would never suspect it of greatness. It is utterly ordinary and unremarkable in appearance, but if you have a spare corner in the yard, you will never regret planting it. The sweet memories associated with it's scent will stay with you for a lifetime.

Neutral aythya_americana On Nov 5, 2010, aythya_americana from Perrysburg, OH wrote:

Just a note to someone who said that they had seen a baby hummingbird on their plant--hummingbirds would not be nectaring on a plant at night or in the late evening. Also, a hummingbird big enough to fly would be at least 2 inches long, and that's for the smallest species in the world. What you saw was probably a moth.

Neutral beachwalker520 On Oct 28, 2010, beachwalker520 from New Smyrna Beach, FL wrote:

When my husband and I honeymooned in Bermuda almost 40 years ago, I took away with me the memory of the night blooming jasmine, along with a bottle of the perfume. Seeing the plant at a local nursery I thought it would add a scent which was lacking in our back yard. I placed it right off the sliders of our bedroom so it could perfume that wing of the house. It has bloomed and grown nicely, but no scent. If it doesn't provide some after growing another year I will probably relocate it somewhere else.

Negative tulpen On Oct 25, 2010, tulpen from Los Angeles, CA wrote:

Sorry, of course it all depends on what one is looking for... But this is not an attractive plant, mainly large leaves, extremely invasive that requires a lot of pruning to keep it in check and as for the blooms - tiny, short lasting and not worth all the effort. I don't mind the fragrance.

Neutral LeslieT On Oct 25, 2010, LeslieT from Bellaire, TX wrote:

I loved the smell of this plant (would NEVER plant it too close to a house). However, despite having bought at least two, if not three, labeled specimens of this plant from reputable nurseries, I never ONCE got one that had any fragrance at all! What I got were lanky, unattractive climbing shrubs with ZERO smell at night.

As for the so-called, good-smelling Confederate Jasmine, I find it nauseating (and my neighbor has a fence full of the nasty stuff), weedy and a total pest. I HATE it. I dread every spring, but at least it doesn't bloom for long. But, I have to pay people to keep it OUT of my yard.
Leslie

Positive mentinsel On Sep 25, 2010, mentinsel from BREST
France (Zone 9a) wrote:

Hello from FRANCE
I am fan of plants who smell good
Jasmin,lavande,clerodendrum,ipomee alba,gardenia,impatiens tinctoria.....
I bought a " galant de nuit" last year
The scent of Mesk elil - cestrum nocturnum is incredible !!
I am in Zone 9a -5 celsius /23 Farenheit
I don't know how to do this this cestrum this winter:
-my garage is ok for temperature (12 degree celsius / 54 F) but not for light.
-the rooms of my house is too hot,20 degree celsius / 68F
Is it possible to keep it outside with some protections
I realy want to keep this plant alive.

Neutral cwstang On Jun 4, 2010, cwstang from Sioux Falls, SD wrote:

I purchased 2 Night Jasmines from a grower in LA. They arrived in great shape. Several weeks later, I looked closely and noted a small web. Looking closer, there were VERY small dots on the leaves. Then I noticed they moved. Assuming SUPER small spider mites, I went to a local plant store and purchased a product specific for killing spider mites. After spraying the plants, I'm not sure how well it worked. Is there a good test besides a magifying glass? I've read on the internet they're hard to get rid of. Do you recommend repeated applications of the spray and if so, how often?

I intend to keep my plants indoors, as we live in SD. They appear to be growing OK, but I'm concerned that that'll need more sun as they grow. I have them next to the morning window where they get approximately 2-4 hours of "summer" sunlight. It was time to move them to a larger pot, so I purchased plastic pots with drains holes, and new potting soil that retains the water longer. As I was removing the 2nd plant from it's old pot, the top new growth snapped off. I plugged it into the dirt hoping it will survive until I can get an answer to this problem. Will it survive if I do nothing but water it? Will I need to purchase a rooting product? Am I wasting my time, as this was about a 3" top?

As for watering. The lower leaves tend to yellow and fall off. Is this normal? I don't feel I've overwatered yet I believe yellow leaves are a sign of too much water. So now I wait for the leaves to droop before watering. Anyone have a suggestion on this topic?

I am using a basic liquid house plant Miracle Grow product, but I'm concerned as to whether this is the best product for this plant. Any specific products you can recommend?

How long or better yet, what does it take for my plant to flower? It's only about a foot tall at the moment. Is it a matter of size, season, feeding, light? I'm anxious to get that great smell I had when I had them while living in FL.

I'm sorry for not having read through all the postings, as I'm sure some if not all these issues have been brought up before. Your help on my newbie green thumb will be greatly appreciated.

I believe my experience with this plant has been detailed. My experience with them is zero, so I'm learning the hard way. Trial and error.

Positive stevesivek On Mar 28, 2010, stevesivek from Baytown, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

The perfume industry selected the scent of Night Blooming Jasmine as the most sensuous fragrance in the world. Standing near the blooming plant can be quite a heady experience. The best place to plant is the furthest location upwind from where you will spend most of your time outdoors. Like one poster mentioned, on a warm summer night I can smell mine 4 houses away. The 1000's of tiny tubular flowers will bloom all at once blooming 5 to 6 times during the summer. By its scent it attracts numerous Sphinx moths. Looks like nocturnal hummingbirds going for the blooms. During winter the plant dies back to the ground in SE Texas but readily returns with the first warm weather.

Positive AuraRatihWidya On Oct 31, 2009, AuraRatihWidya from Bogor
Indonesia wrote:

Halo, it's Very glad to be a part of here, I'm a woman, love an art, love anythings, love cute animals or others, painting, ceramic maker, landscaper, gardener and farmer too, who planted this Jasmine Blooming Night, all over again...I loved the smell very well, I really really love it...I always waiting when my lovely plant become having full flower... I have 4 big three, and many little others....It's proudly if I having friends or new guest like usually come to my garden house than asking what perfumed that I used ??...from the car park until the bath room smell lovely......but remember, I always Thank to God who created this lovely plant for our lovely memories....and thank you for 'Dave' gardens...you are lovely too....

Positive MTVineman On Jun 13, 2009, MTVineman from Helena, MT (Zone 5a) wrote:

I grow this lovely plant here in Montana as a houseplant but I put it outside in the spring/summer/fall then bring it in before the cold weather hits. This plant just goes nuts either inside and especially when it gets to go outside for the summer. It blooms for me prolifically a few times every year. The fragrance is heavenly and my neighbors here in Montana keep asking me what that smell is coming from my yard. It can actually be smelled from a block away when in full bloom. People here just don't know what this plant is. Once I tell them though, they want one. I bought mine from Worldplants.com and it arrived as a huge rootbound plant in about a 4" pot. Those guys really send great stock, have to say. Everything I have ever ordered from them is huge and in perfect shape when it arrives. I agree with a previous posting. This plant should be spelled as Night Blooming Jessamine not Jasmine. Jessamine is derived from the word Jasmine, but Jessamine is the original early American spelling and personally I think it's endearing and part of our history. The word Jasmine itself is derived from the Arabic word Yasmin, but again, that refers to the real Jasmine plant, like Jasminum sambac and Jasminum polyanthum etc. At any rate, whatever you choose to call Cestrum nocturnum, it is a beautiful and intensely fragrant plant. A real treasure.

Positive sotxmariachi On Jun 8, 2009, sotxmariachi from San Antonio, TX wrote:

Just love this plant, the fragrance is beyond heavenly. I bought mine 3 years ago at a local nursery and every year it seems to bloom more and more. It blooms 3 to 4 times during the year. I have noticed it does love lots of water, and our hot Texas summer doesn't seem to bother it as long as it watered daily. I have mine in a 14 inch plastic pot. Also it has survived so far our San Antonio winters, it does lose it leaves but has always bounces back quite well once it starts to warm up, which around here is March.

Positive nalin1 On May 3, 2009, nalin1 from New Delhi
India (Zone 10a) wrote:

July 2010 Update-- wmalik reported that his plant was not flowering this year, and also had an aphid infestation. Placing my reply here as it might be of help to others:

The raat ki rani plant flowers very well if it is pruned annually. I usually prune them around end June to July to remain about 3 feet above ground. They then flower September-October onwards throughout the winter months up to February in New Delhi. I am not aware of the flowering time in your areas.

If your plants are rather tall as they are apt to to become after a few years, then the energy of the plant may be going to create green growth rather than flowers. In addition to pruning the plant to 3 foot height, you may consider planting one cestrum diurnum (din ka raja) nearby to help it to flower. See--- http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/242665/

The aphid/other insect problem can be taken care of by first trying out a homemade formula as follows--
Ingredients--
1 small bulb of garlic
1 small onion
1 Tbsp cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp mineral oil
2 Tbsp liquid hand soap (not detergent)
1 quart hot water.

Method--
Chop up the garlic and onion finely. Add chopped ingredients, cayenne pepper and mineral oil to hot water (not boiling) and allow to soak for a couple of hours. Mix well and then strain liquid through a muslin cloth and add 2 tbsp of liquid hand soap. Mix by stirring well. Apply the mix with a spray gun to the plant (especially underside of leaves) as frequently as needed. The unused mix can be kept in a refrigerator.

I hope this will be of help.
Regards
--------------
Queen of the Night ('raat ki rani') is an amazingly fragrant plant that one can smell from 200-300 yards away. As a number of members have pointed out, it has a rather strong fragrance when planted by itself. There is an interesting remedy to this. When planted along with Cestrum diurnum (King of the Day--'din ka raja'), they not only help each other to grow better, but the fragrance of the night blooming jasmine seems to be moderated as has been anecdotally reported in India.

Additional anecdotal experience has it that if c. diurnum is not planted nearby, the Queen of the Night attracts snakes. I have experience of both of these conditions at my country home--we used to get snakes near these plants frequently. After planting c. diurnum near the night scented jasmine over two years ago I have had no snakes appearing anywhere near these plants (or anywhere else on the property) since then. There has been no environmental change to account for this and I can only conclude that this widely reported anecdotal experience is true, as well as the observation that the fragrance of the jasmine is moderated and is much more pleasing (and intoxicating!) after planting c. diurnum near it (5-10 feet distance).

I would invite those who have had not such a great experience with this plant, to add 1 or 2 c. diurnum near each night scented jasmine in their planting plan, and enjoy the changed fragrance and summer butterflies (including the monarchs) that love c. diurnum!

Neutral MacFL On Apr 20, 2009, MacFL from Longboat Key, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

First off, I LOVE the scent of Night Blooming Jasmine. I have ever since I lived in southern CA, where there were very popular.

I am now living in Longboat Key, FL and have recently purchased a NBJ from a very reputable, online nursery for my garden. It arrived in PERFECT condition. Since its arrival, I have had the hardest time acclimating this plant to being outside. I initially tried to immediately plant the 2 foot plant into my indigenous soil but it did not tolerate the full sun or perhaps heat, (although it's not that hot here yet), and within 24 hours, I had to uproot it and plant it into a container and bring it indoors. It nearly died.

I resurrected this plant by bringing it indoors and placing it under a 150W CFL Ecobulb, which it loves! I keep my indoors at 75-78 degrees. I give this plant about 8 to 10 hours of the ecobulb everyday, and it does well under it! If I take it out onto my fully shaded porch, it starts to wilt within an hour! Today was my most recent attempt. I placed it out into full shade, with the following conditions: Temp 80 degrees F, Winds S @ 5 mph, and 66% humidity. Within an hour it was starting to wilt and trying to die again.

All the best!

Mac
Longboat Key, FL
Zone 9b

Positive mscotch On Mar 19, 2009, mscotch from madison, wi
United States wrote:

We've had this potted plant for 4 years and it does well inside in the winter here in WI. In the summer, I leave it out on our deck. It loves wet feet and whenever it looks a little droopy it's because of lack of water. My wife and I travel some, so have to remember to flood it when we leave.
Whenever I want it to bloom, I give it some plant food and about 5-7 days later they come on. I snip off all the dead flowers.
Wondering if coffee grounds would help or hurt this plant.
We love the fragrance.
Is re-potting the plant necessary? The plant is about 3 feet tall and the pot is about 1 foot in diameter.

Positive leeflea51 On Dec 17, 2008, leeflea51 from Golden, MS (Zone 7a) wrote:

I have planted C. nocturnum for 6 consecutive years now. They are planted in a 24x24" container and I place it on the deck with a NE exposure. I feed it once every 2 week with bloom boosting plant food. If chlorosis occurs, I add an iron supplement. Of course, in my zone (7a) it is not root hardy so I must order each spring. I cut it back after each flowering cycle and can get 3 flushes of blooms before frost.
The scent to me is wonderful and I don't find it overpowering at all.
Of course, since all parts are toxic, I'd avoid planting it where children and pets have access to it. Lee

Positive kathy65468 On Nov 1, 2008, kathy65468 from Eunice, MO (Zone 5b) wrote:

I have not trusted mine to our winters out doors. I cut it back and bring it inside. I threaten to only bring in cuttings but I hate to just leave the "mother" outside to die. I have found many folks who cannot smell the fragrance, myself included, and others who love the fragrance. My grandchildren say it smells like candy and are unhappy that they cannot eat it like other plants. It may be coincidence but all of the people who say they cannot smell it are smokers.
I have shared many cuttings. This wonderful plant grows readily from cuttings and has never needed rooting hormone for encouragement. I gave my daughter a 10 inch cutting the last week of August and by October it was blooming. Easy plant to grow!

Positive robcorreia On Oct 2, 2008, robcorreia from San Diego, CA (Zone 10b) wrote:

I absolutely love this plant. It's a must for any moon garden, and the fragrance wafts in the air at night.
I have it in a sheltered warm spot, against a north facing fence, and it gets reflected heat from a brick pathway.
I doesn't like to go dry and it loves acid fertilizer (as use camellia/azalea fertilizer).

Positive bdevill On Aug 19, 2008, bdevill from Baton Rouge, LA wrote:

This plant is a prolific bloomer in the French Quarter and Faubourg Marigny sections of New Orleans. Humorous tidbit: In the "old days" this plant was grown to mask the scent of the out-houses. In modern days it combines a traditional jessamine fragrance with a luscious citrus scent and a hint of patchouli. It's scent is intoxicating and alluring after an August rain shower has cooled off and ushered in a relaxed late-summer evening.

Neutral dootgrrl On Aug 5, 2008, dootgrrl from Crockett, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

As opposed to popular belief, this plant is NOT deer resistant. I know a deer will eat anything if it's hungry enough. But they still chose to strip my 3 NBJ's down to the main stem instead of other plants in the yard that were supposedly "deer candy." They were 3' tall...not exactly young twigs.

Positive lavender4ever On Aug 3, 2008, lavender4ever from (Louise) Highland, MI (Zone 5b) wrote:

Purchased this plant as a four inch cutting in March and it is now three feet tall and wide and forming flowers. Cannot wait to smell the fragrance. Cuttings from shaping, root easily.

Positive xaia On Jul 18, 2008, xaia from Kitchener

I purchased 2 small plugs of Night Blooming Jessamine in March of this year. After 5 months (2 of which were spent indoors) it is over a foot tall and growing like crazy! The main stem is getting 'woodier' and it's starting to send out many side shoots from the bottom! It hasn't even bloomed yet and I'm absolutely enthralled by it! I'll post pictures!!

Updated July 25, 2010:

I successfully overwintered my Cestrum nocturnum in my spare bedroom under grow lights in front of a North facing window this past winter. I had started off with 3 small cuttings in a 10" pot in the summer of '09. The lights I used were a 65W Sylvania Spot-Gro bulb and a 65W compact fluorescent bulb, interchangeably and on a timer. I had placed my plant on a pebble tray and had a humidifier going constantly, keeping the ambient humidity between 50-70%. I realized from past attempts at growing the "Queen of the Night" that the plant benefits greatly from staying relatively moist, only drying out slightly in between waterings, which was done once a week. I had allowed previous plants to go 'bone dry' as many texts that I had read recommended doing, only to end up losing the plant altogether. Figuring the nursery from which I bought my small cuttings from was an hour and a half away, I challenged myself to learn how to grow the plant successfully to save driving out there for replacements all the time! Anyway, due to the fact that the plant's growth had slowed down significantly in the shorter winter days and that it had dropped the bulk of its leaves (which is normal from what I read), I would fertilize it every second watering or once every 2 weeks with fish emulsion fertilizer (5-1-1) just to supply it with some micronutrients. I also experimented with 10-15-10 fertilizer which gave the plant a boost to send out new root growth and a little extra foliar growth. I had to maintain the plants size however. It would send out 3 foot canes in search of stronger levels of light, all laden with large, rather thin leaves. The plant handled the occassional pruning with ease (got lots of cuttings out of it!) and to balance its shape I'd turn it daily so that it wouldn't stretch towards the window. By late winter I had switched to using 30-10-10 fertilizer to encourage strong foliar growth for the upcoming spring season. My plant was very much alive, just quite large and airy. I cared for it diligently until the beginning of June when I decided that it would make the trip outside. By now the temperatures outdoors were just getting into the high teens. I've recently repotted it into a larger container and to date my plant has filled out gorgeously! Every node where a leaf had sadly fallen in the winter is a side shoot smothered in thick, succulent leaves well adapted to the full sun location it is in on my deck! Asides from watering it daily, it gets periodic rainfall, and when it isn't raining the humidity is quite high (tonight being 100%). I fertilized it once a week with 5-15-5 liquid transplanter (15mL to 1 litre of water) to stimulate good root formation, and now that the day length is slowly growing shorter, I am also incorporating a little 10-54-10 bloom builder weekly to stimulate blooming. I find that insect pests are hardly an issue, any fungus gnats were taken care of with glue traps in the winter, and the only other thing I've used on it is Neem oil. It may sound like a delicate and demanding plant, but in fact it is very tough and extremely forgiving in nature! I will always want to have one growing near by! All the work for the love of that delicious scent is well worth it!!

Updated August 17, 2010:

My Night Blooming Jessamine is in full bloom! It's many little 'stars' are out, petals reflexed, with waves of fragrance permeating the air in my backyard!! How I would love to bottle the scent!!!

Updated September 3, 2010:

I remember there being hummingbird moths visiting my Night Blooming Jessamine at night, now I have little green berries developing all over the plant which will hopefully mature to white and be filled with seeds!

Updated September 12, 2012:

Wow, what more can I say.. the Night Blooming Jessamine has put on the most spectacular display of blooms this year, it is just smothered! It is even blooming an inch above the soil line from the many small side shoots coming off the older wood! It has all the good stuff on the go at the moment, flowers, new growth, and berries even. I did prune it hard after its first big flush of bloom this summer, taking off 1/3 of the growth all over. Because I live in Canada, it will sadly be containerized for the rest of its years, moving in and out from winter to summer, but even so it is my pride and joy and worth every effort! It looks amazing in its urn and had reached 4 feet tall by 5 feet wide before I got the pruners out! It is stunning and still has a handsome shape even after a good trim.The hard prune really made it perform, the more axillary branches you get, the more flowers. So if you are shy with the pruning, don't be! As an aside: I had started the Day Blooming Jessamine (Cestrum diurnum) from seed in February of this year.. 8 months later that too has bloomed at the same time as the Night Blooming Jessamine and I have cross-pollinated the two in hopes of acquiring the hybrid 'Orange Peel', which is the orange-blooming child of the two white-flowering parents! Cestrums are awesome plants, with 3 species so far in my collection, several pot fulls of cuttings that make wonderful gifts, I am still very much in love with the genus! I have plans on getting some of the more colourful Cestrums soon, but certainly nothing could possibly out do the fine, rich cacao fragrance from diurnum during the day, and sweet, euphoric incense from nocturnum at night! Who needs air freshener when you own a Cestrum, really?!

Negative tiftqt77 On Apr 28, 2008, tiftqt77 from Whitefish, MT wrote:

I HATE this plant---my mother loved it and planted it outside our windows in Fort Myers and it just nauseated me---it's fragrance is way too strong for me. It grew like a weed in my yard. YUK
Be careful and make sure all your household likes it. I sure agree with Paul! Years later I planted and enjoyed a gorgeous Confederate jasmine that had a beautiful fragrance. Birds built a nest in it and I was thrilled until a snake got to it and swallowed all the eggs! I dont live in FL anymore!

Neutral ejanelli On Apr 28, 2008, ejanelli from San Francisco, CA wrote:

I'm sorry to be a pedant in this regard, but I've been a gardener for over 60 years, and it's only recently that I have ever heard this plant referred to as night-blooming JASMINE. In the past it was always JESSAMINE, which may, in itself be a corruption of the word jasmine. The reason this troubles me is that the more we simplify and use the same word for more and more plants, the less information we convey. For example, there are four totally different plants, different genera in fact, that are referred to as "flowering orange" in my area ( S.F. Bay). What confusion!

Negative pbyrley On Apr 28, 2008, pbyrley from Port St Lucie (+ Wk For), FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

It was about 1955 in Ft. Lauderdale. We had no A/C and my bedroom windows were open. The night blooming jasmine my mother had planted near my window was in full bloom. I finally got up about 1:00AM, put on my clothes, got a shovel and dug the blasted sweet smelling thing up and threw it across the back fence. It was an awful sickening sweet odor. Here it is 2008 and I still remember it well!
Paul

Positive GAtwood On Feb 29, 2008, GAtwood from Katy, TX wrote:

I don't have one of these now (want one!), but there was one in the backyard at my former residence. One night I was walking and as I turned on my block this wonderful fragrance just hit me.

I was 4 houses away and it got stronger as I got near my house. Then I realized it was my Night Blooming Jasmine I was smelling halfway down the block!!

Yes, it is very strong! Nothing like walking out on a warm night and experiencing the heady smell of jasmine.

Positive serenesower On Feb 29, 2008, serenesower from Garland, TX wrote:

My dad gave me a stick of NBJ in a yogurt cup filled with dirt from his back yard. I put it in a pot while renting and it grew to over 5 feet. I had it for over a year in the pot, it lost leaves, was neglected, not watered regularly and never bloomed. THEN we bought our first home and the first thing I did was plant that sucker on the south side of our lattice enclosed patio. That was april. By the summer we had several successions of blooms. The smell would just waft accross the patio like a purfumed spector. LOVE THIS PLANT. Grew to spreadabout four feet wide by 6-7 feet tall. I did use some yarn to keep it upright and more wall-like. Collected lots and lots of seeds. It looks dead right now, but I hope to see new growth soon (fingers crossed). Anyone want seeds?

Positive Spectra On Jan 26, 2008, Spectra from Chico, CA wrote:

If heaven has a scent, it has to be night blooming jasmine!

I first smelled this beautiful fragrance in Corona Del Mar many years ago. I was walking to the beach one evening with some friends and we were all amazed that the entire town smelled like this flower. When I moved to Northern Calif. I had to take one with me. I've started dozens of new plants for family and friends from cuttings. I have to water deeply everyday in the summer or it wilts and the blossoms fall off. Once every week to ten days in the winter is sufficient. I almost lost it one year to aphids. My gardner gave it a shot of rose food and Safer Soap and it came back heathier than ever. I feed it once a month in the blooming season.

When I'm out-of-town during the warm months I make my children swear that they'll water everyday. They joke that I love my jasmine more than I love them.

Positive hoytski_wva On Oct 3, 2007, hoytski_wva wrote:

we have enjoyed night-bloooming jasmine since our trip to Jamaica, West Indies. they have a restaurant called the "Callabash" in Montego Bay. the jasmine grow in the front as you enter the door. it just about knocks you down as you first approach it but sitting outside overlooking the bay the light breeze carries the sweet scented fragrance all over the place. nothing like enjoying your favorite seafood dish, good drinks, and good friends with such a romantic setting and fragrance in the air.
we have left these plants in every yard that we've had from Florida to Alaska (brought them in-doors during the winter in Alaska...for sure). now living in West Virginia i wonder if i can leave them outside in the ground for winter or leave them in their pots and bring into the garage. what do you think???
how often do i need to water them in the winter's here i wonder? does anyone now?

Positive vossner On Sep 24, 2007, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I love the strong frag of this plant but I can see where overexposure to this scent might give some a headache. Easy to root. Mine are thirsty plants, if you ignore they get yellow and limp quickly. best to plant near water source or in moist area of garden

UPDATE: Oct 2013. I continue to like this plant but after a few years I am glad I didn't plant too close to the house. These days, I can see where the frag would be absolutely nauseating if too close. DH cannot stand it, he says it smells like urine and I can see when somebody might pick up on that strain of scent. Planted from a distance, the aroma is subtle and sweet and tolerable.

Neutral arlee On Sep 24, 2007, arlee from near Victoria BC

I love this plant but it is highly toxic, not only if ingested, but by odour as well. I had it in full bloom in my studio where it was slowly poisoning me with its scent. The blooms may be closed during the day, and not as evident with fragrance, but after i suffered bouts of dizziness, nausea and mental confusion, working in there 8 hours at a time, i moved it to the greenhouse!
I have taken cuttings to propagate, and am experimenting with leaving the mother plant in the greenhouse for this winter. We are in a zone 8 area of Vancouver Island.

Neutral tarantella On Aug 26, 2007, tarantella from Durham, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I purchased two of these plants this past spring from a nursery in Lafayette, LA. They are planted in containers on my deck following the suggested size pots. They have reached about three feet and shown no blooms. I was so looking forward to having this plant and am puzzled by the lack of bloom. The enclosed directions said to let them dry out before watering which I have done. They look healthy enough, just no blooms. It is a puzzle, would appreciate any suggestions.

Neutral bordersandjacks On Aug 8, 2007, bordersandjacks from Seabrook, SC (Zone 8b) wrote:

I bought this as a little one gallon plant a couple months ago and now it's the same height as I am (6') and covered in blooms. The blooms are pretty as are the leaves. The fragrance is overwhelming- it could just be that it's so hot and humid here at the moment and I have it right by the back door. It's not your typical jasmine scent- it smells to me like "super elastic bubble plastic" from my childhood. I'm going to move it away from the door... and if that doesn't work, maybe it will become a gift.

Positive gregrice On Jul 21, 2007, gregrice from Altamonte Springs, FL wrote:

I have had night blooming jasmines for years. I live in Central FLorida and have had no problem growing the NBJ. My only problem is finding a place big enough for the plant. The one I currently have is about 12' X 12'. I used to have it in my courtyard, but it outgrew that area. So I moved it to the backyard. I didn't like being transplanted and didn't put out many blooms that summer, but the next year, it was growing like a weed.
I have never heard that it attracts snakes. Where I live there are plenty of snakes, but I don't see any more or less than normal.
Right now, July 2007, it is blooming and puts out a fragrance that can be smelled throughtout the neighborhood at night. The fragrance is only over powering if you get near the plant.

Positive carmelye On Jun 12, 2007, carmelye from League City, TX wrote:

My mother in-law cut one of her Night Blooming Jasmines in half with a shovel, stuck it in a pot and gave it to me a couple of winters ago. I took it home and put it on the patio - all the leaves fell off and I had a pot of what looked like dead sticks! I went ahead and planted it that Spring and by the end of the Summer it had bloomed twice and was up to the roof of the house! The fragrance is wonderful and you can smell it for 100 yards away! Now it blooms five or six times a year. Mine also gets the white looking fruit on it after it blooms but I'm not sure what that is. We cut it down to about a foot from the ground each year and it comes right back.

Positive zville123 On May 7, 2007, zville123 from Zanesville, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

This is my first year trying this plant (as a potted plant, of course). Since I love fragrant plants, I'm looking forward to experiencing the aroma of this plant this summer. I have limited space to over-winter plants...with limited sun light.

The fragrance is wonderful. Best enjoyed outside. Even a small cutting was overpowering in the house. Even got my husband's attention. He's asked that we get more for 2008 since we didn't overwinter ours.

Positive LeDeana On Apr 6, 2007, LeDeana from Abilene, TX wrote:

Epsom salts in the soil or mixed in the watering can will kill most spider mites and sucking pests. The salts act as a natural systemic. Usually a tablespoon to a 2 gallon can works fine.

Neutral amichael On Mar 29, 2007, amichael from Cortlandt Manor, NY wrote:

I heard jasmine -- queen of night -- are known to attract snakes. I was wondering is someone else has heard this as well?

Negative lsglass On Jan 23, 2007, lsglass from San Diego, CA wrote:

I'm in San Diego, a couple miles from the ocean. I'm not much of gardener.

A landscaper planted one of these in the middle of my front yard a little over a year ago. After a few months, it just had a few leaves that stayed attached, and didn't grow at all. Then somewhere around late spring, it put out a few new stalks that grew up to around five feet. The plant seemed a picture of health. A couple of months ago, it started to drop leaves, and now the bottom half is bare, and the top half has leaves that are curled up and would fall off if I brushed them.

What should I do? If I cut it back so low that there are no leaves, might it grow back?

Negative jonathanm On Jan 3, 2007, jonathanm from Los Angeles, CA wrote:

I am confused as to when I can expect to see flowers on our Star Jasmines.
We bought a several huge ones to plant outside and cover some wooden fences.
They arrived in June/July (with a few flowers on them), and now it is January, and we have yet to see any new flowers.
Is this typical?
I am in Los Angeles, btw.
Thanks

Positive pattipl On Nov 6, 2006, pattipl from Glendora, CA wrote:

I have a night blooming jasmine outside my dining room window. Love the wonderful fragrance but now it has started to show a white, sticky kind of fungus and I don't know what it is our how to get rid of it. The dryer vent for my clothes dryer is located beside the plant but has not caused any problems in the 2 years we have had it. Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Positive jasminetom On Oct 24, 2006, jasminetom from Ocala, FL wrote:

I live in Ocala, Florida and I have had great luck with the night blooming jasmine. It is a year old. It bloomed five times from spring to end of October. I cut it back and it let loose with literally thousands of blossoms coating every stalk and making a fantastic scent in the whole neighborhood! The regenerated leaves bushed out fast and the whole thing has been a great joy!
Then these black moths would come at night and take the pollen for about an hour. At first I thought they were hummingbirds, with fast wings and moving that way. Then I found one sleeping and it was a moth.

Positive beatfive On Oct 8, 2006, beatfive from Fredericksburg, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

NBJ being a tropical does like watering every day in my area and really does love a weekly application of fish emulsion and seaweed. I put four plants in the ground about the middle of April this year and they are all about 8 to 9 feet tall now with heavy fragrance. I intend to bed them this winter with a good amount of heavy mulch.

Positive glfields On Aug 29, 2006, glfields from Saint Paul, MN wrote:

I have wintered over a one year plant indoors in St. Paul (Zone 4b) and planted cuttings (rooting compound was necessary) to get enough plants to really get the scent in my yard. Fragrant flowering did not occur until early August. The indoor plant flowered once in January for a fragrant (and maybe overwhelming) surprise.

Negative lovemyflowers On Aug 29, 2005, lovemyflowers from Warrenton, MO wrote:

I brought a Night Blooming Jasmine plant back with me while on vacation in southern California. I live in eastern Mo; Zone 5, and have it in a 12 inch pot on my patio. I have been afraid to plant it in the ground because our temps in winter can go down to 0 degrees, although the past few years have been relatively mild. I have had this plant since the middle of May and it has produced plenty of leaves, but no flowers!! I have decided to risk all and plant this near the house and hope it survives the winter. if anyone has a suggestion as to why this plant has not produced flowers, I would appreciate some input! Thanks and cross your fingers! Jackie B

Positive grikdog On Aug 14, 2005, grikdog from St. Paul, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

I can only grow this as a house plant but it grows well indoors. After a couple of years you have a house shrub. The flowers are unbelievably fragrant at night. In the morning it isn't as pleasant - I think I read somewhere that in Somalia it is called Lady of the Night because as much as you enjoy the fragrance in the evening it is too much to face in the morning. Afterwards the plant has small attractive white berries.

It grows easily from cuttings and from seed. It blooms while quite small.

This is one of my favorite plants and if you put it outdoors the hummingbird moths cannot resist it.

Positive cheryldawn On May 30, 2005, cheryldawn from Lakeland, FL wrote:

I love the smell but as we have three large shrubs and my daughter has allergies to perfumes, she isn't crazy about it.
So, I'm going to prune them down and try and propagate the prunings for trades and to give away. When's the best time of the year to take cuttings from it in Florida? Should I take soft green, or hard wood cuttings? My sister said someone told her they were very easy to root.
Cheryl
new e-mail addy at:
windyrr2@earthlink.net

Positive innyanga On Jan 30, 2005, innyanga wrote:

We live in Perth, Western Australia (where it's now mid summer). We enjoy a Mediterranean climate. Our Night Blooming Jasmine is at least 10 years old. When we moved in 9 years ago we almost pulled it out, as we brushed past it on our way into the shed and hated the smell of the leaves! (Do others relate to this?) So glad we didn't. Now it is about 15 feet tall, and we look forward to the gorgeous fragrance each summer. The only problem is that it's now quite straggly. How severely can it be pruned?

Positive aussiesky On Oct 3, 2004, aussiesky from Stuttgart, AR wrote:

I smelled night blooming jasmine 26 years ago in St. Pete Fla. then 25 years ago i moved to Arkansas, I looked all over for this magnificent plant. In 2003 I found her in a plant outlet warehouse in Pine Bluff, Ar. The plants i got are doing great i do bring them in for the winter but they are blooming right now. I live in Stuttgart Ar. and night blooming jasmine is alive and well. 10/2/2004

Positive KDePetrillo On Sep 1, 2004, KDePetrillo from North Scituate, RI (Zone 6a) wrote:

I grow this in a cool greenhouse in Zone 5/6 -- the scent is HEAVENLY!! Nothing like it!

Positive Libbygarden On Aug 27, 2004, Libbygarden from Mobile, AL wrote:

I bought two 3 gallon containers of this plant last year at the end of summer. I planted them next to our pergola in afternoon sun. These plants went straight up and were blooming by mid September. They continued until our first hard feeze. I cut them back and forgot about them. By April they were coming back bigger than before. This year they are as tall as the 8 ft. pregola and do not seem to be stopping. I enjoyed reading on your site that these suckers can be cut back. I was afraid to do anything to them but they are taking over. My friends all want some of this thing and I am anxious to try rooting some. It is a most wonderful exotic fragrance and no one in Mobile seems to have this plant but me. We have no mosquitos out back this year so maybe it is this plant. I hope to have them up front next year.

Negative thebigsee On Jul 27, 2004, thebigsee from Canoga Park, CA wrote:

In my humble opinion this is the worst plant I've ever put in my garden! I live in L.A. and planted it against an east-facing wall to hide the wall and provide its famous scent in the evening. The plants grew quickly and one even survived a messy transplant with little dieback. But despite the fact that they get good sun and nice shade in the afternoon, and despite following a garden expert's advice on feeding and watering, the plants are generally yellowy and weak-looking, not the lush shrub I was hoping for. Then, the famous scent came -- and did it ever! I love the scent of jasmine but this plant was far from the delicate feminine fragrance I've known from star jasmine and trachleospermum -- it was an in-your-face, overpowering, cheap body lotion sort of experience. Then, worst of all, the plants became infested with this awful gnats that swarm with the slightest provocation. So these shrubs are being pulled-out this weekend and I tell you, I won't miss them!

Positive dmhl921 On Jun 30, 2004, dmhl921 from Morristown, IN (Zone 6b) wrote:

I purchased two plants at a local farmer's market and planted them in zone 5 in a very large pot as I plan to winter them inside. It starts to bloom as the sun goes down and I have the pot near my bedroom french doors which is wonderful! A full (or waxing) moon seems to stimulate the release of the fragrance.

UPDATE as of 11/4/2004: I brought the plant inside when the leaves dropped and cut it way back. It is now starting to sprout green leaves again.

8/23/05: Lost one of the 2 plants and purchased 3 more on-line which have grown to about 4 feet tall in a large pot. Just started to bloom a few nights ago and the other night we sat very close to enjoy the lovely sweet fragrance when to our surprise a baby hummingbird no more than 1/2" long came to visit and actually stayed for about a half hour. He even brushed against my arm and seemed to be intoxicated by the nectar.

6/6/2013: Have had the same plant growing in a big pot since 2005 and bring it in every winter. The leaves drop and I cut it way back in the spring when I take it outside after the threat of frost/freeze. It is now growing lush and full and we're so looking forward to it blooming later this year. Seems like it doesn't bloom until late August though. It is still a beautiful plant! To the person who said that we couldn't have seen a baby hummingbird.... it was DEFINITELY a hummingbird. I can tell the difference between a moth and a hummingbird and there was also a mama bird flying around twittering at the baby. We have many hummingbirds from early spring until late fall and they love the jasmine, but the honeysuckle and petunias seem to attract them even more.

Positive dacoolv On Jun 24, 2004, dacoolv from Vermillion, SD wrote:

My night blooming jasmine is now 2 years old and is growing in southern-most South Dakota. I do overwinter it inside a sunny-south facing porch-enclosure during the coldest winter months. However, it is outside most of the year. Several times I have forgotten it outside and it has survived snow, ice, and other freezing weather. When it is growing inside, it can get spindly, however, if you pinch out the branches as soon as it turns nice out, it will come back in no time. It LOVES fish emulsion fertilizer which gives the leaves a dark-green color and silky sheen. People always stop and ask me what it is : ) If you keep them trimmed back, the frangrance isn't so overpowering--its a good way to control the smell at a level that you like.

Positive smellsweet On May 27, 2004, smellsweet from Baton Rouge, LA wrote:

I've had the Night Blooming Jasmine for a couple of years now. The first time I experienced the scent was in the Bahamas. It was planted at the entrance to the house where I was staying and I didn't know @ the time what it was. Sometime later, when I smelled it at a nursery in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, I realized it was what I experienced in the Bahamas! Such a wonderful scent which I absolutely love! One problem, the first two I had became infested with mealy bugs. I sprayed and pruned, but lost the plant. This year, I rinsed them off with tap water from the hose, but may try spraying with Safer Soap. I would love to try bringing a clump of the flowers inside to see how the scent fills the room! I haven't tried that yet. It's the most wonderful smell. It's on my patio by the backdoor. You can smell it very strongly when in full bloom. Right now, it's full of blooms. Happy planting!

Positive Habakkuk On May 12, 2004, Habakkuk from Orlando, FL wrote:

I started my plant from a clipping rooted in a cup of water. It barely developed root buds in the water, but as soon as I stuck it in potting soil it took off.

I've had some problem with aphids and the tiny ants that have a symbiotic relationship with them. I cut back the damaged portions and treated the plant with Safer Soap, but had to repeat the treatment later in the season. It froze to the ground (I'm in Orlando, Florida) a couple of seasons ago, but it's come back strong, about 3 feet in diameter at it's largest.

It blooms its little brains out. You can smell it all over the back yard. I have a pretty sensitive case of hay fever, but the night blooming jasmine must not be on my allergin list - it's never bothered my nose/lungs. I occasionally water it and every once in a great while give it a shot of Peter's Plant food.

Positive nancyanne On May 2, 2004, nancyanne from Lafayette, LA (Zone 9a) wrote:

An herbaceous perennial here in zone 9a. Comes back dependably even from our occasional hard freeze.
The scent is glorious, though, as others have pointed out, it can be overwhelming.
A tiny sprig in an indoor vase will night-scent the entire house; usually the sprig will form roots.
Propagate by seed, softwood or hardwood cuttings, or by dividing or removing suckers.

Neutral MotherRose On May 1, 2004, MotherRose wrote:

I loved this plant because of what i have hared about it so far. i planted 4 of them each in a different location. Complete shade, partial shade and full sun light just to get, at least one, to bloom. i appreciate any info on how to make this plant a success. i am getting a fifth plant to grow in house. i have great success with Jasmine but not with the night queen so far. i live in Saudi Arabia where temp. can go up to 50 C in the summer days (July - Aug) and drops to 40 C at night with humidity approaching 90-100% sometimes. it cools down to 10 C during winter time. Any help tips appreciated (watering frequency, location, fertilizer etc.) thanx :). i have posted a picture with one in full sun light.

Positive denhart On Apr 11, 2004, denhart wrote:

A WONDERFUL PLANT WITH A MAGICAL SCENT
GREW UP WITH THIS PLANT IN MIAMI FLORIDA
HAVE ALSO SEEN THE PLANT IN ANTIGUA (BRITISH VIRGIN ISLANDS)
I HAVE ONE NOW IN OCALA FL
AND IT IS BLOMING TONIGHT SOOOOOOOOOO NICE !!!!!!!!

Positive syerunkar On Mar 14, 2004, syerunkar wrote:

This is my most favourite flower, one of the things I miss most since I have left India. The fragrance is unbelievably addictive, mystic and unforgettable.

The amazing thing about the plant is that there appears to be no fragrance when you go near it, but the breeze will bring you the amazing strong fragrance once in a while.

Apart from insects and bugs, the plant is often known to attract snakes.

The flowers are delicate and can stay in a vase for a night or two if given good water. The fragrance is released only in the dark.

Please let me know if someone has information about getting the seeds in Europe. It would also be great if someone could share his/her experience with growing it in the cold west-european weather.

Positive hawkarica On Nov 27, 2003, hawkarica from Odessa, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Growing in the Tampa Bay area, the plant does exceptionally well, even on the north side of the house where it has reached the roof to find the sun. In the evening, we can open the doors and windows and the house is filled with the wonderful fragrance. It takes pruning well but needs frequent spraying to protect it from both chewing and piercing/sucking insects.

Positive samkar On Nov 10, 2003, samkar from Lake Lure, NC wrote:

I have grown it outside and in pots here in the mountains of North Carolina (U.S.)

Negative catladytoo On Nov 9, 2003, catladytoo wrote:

We have had our night blooming jasmine (2 plants) in our yard for over a year. They flower and produce berries. However they have not produced any fragrance.

Positive willem On Sep 25, 2003, willem wrote:

The Queen of the Night is also known in the Sub-Continent as RAAT KI RANI. A pride to have in the garden in India and Pakistan. People dress themselves with these deep intoxicating flowers.

Positive MotherNatureCA On Sep 19, 2003, MotherNatureCA from Van Nuys, CA wrote:

I live in Southern California and think the birds planted this in my garden. I thought it was a lemon tree seedling coming up the first year and cut it back to the ground. Now it is a small tree. The smell is fabulous, and flowers about every 6 weeks. I realized what it was after I bought two more plants, and then compared the leaves and flowers. Today I thank the birds since the one they planted is doing much better than the two I bought!

Positive colson40 On Sep 14, 2003, colson40 from Labelle, FL wrote:

So far it's been no-care plant for me.

Positive enigmas On Aug 17, 2003, enigmas wrote:

Living near New Orleans, Louisiana (U.S.), Night-Blooming Jasmines do well in our wonderfully rich soil. My mother lives on the Mississippi Gulf Coast and is envious because hers grow in a sandy soil or in pots. The one she gave me a few years ago traditionally reaches over 8 feet tall (after having to be cut back because of freezes.) My daughter says spring, summer and fall smell so good (the plant is right outside the front door, so anyone coming in or out have the wonderful experience of the scent). This year, it had pups and I wanted info about transplanting them, which I found in the Plants Database. Thank you!!

Positive diprato On Jul 9, 2003, diprato from Morrisville, PA wrote:

2003- I grew my Night Jasmine from a seed. It is now 2 1/2 years old and the roots have outgrown its fourth container. I don't think I can get a much bigger container inside for the winter (I'm on the edge of zone 6/7 in southeastern Pennsylvania (U.S.) I sure wish I could plant it outside (and protect it somehow) so it can really thrive (and hopefully bloom more), but I am afraid to lose it to the winter.

(I decided to plant it outside.)
--------------------------------------------------------------------

AUGUST 2004 - First year results of my experiment:

Can Night Jasmine grow in Zone 6 (USA)?

Well, I planted my 2.5 foot tall Night Jasmine outside on the south wall of the house where it flourished and bloomed profusely last summer. It grew to nearly five foot. In autumn I mulched it heavily (about 8 inches) and hoped for the best. I also took 6 cuttings (for inside)and they rooted with ease. The entire plant died all the way down to the ground (we had one of our worst winters ever last year) but it came back in mid-June. I also planted the cuttings around it this summer and the entire clump is now about 2 feet tall, but it has not bloomed yet.

One thing is sure, this plant is very tough, a lot hardier than you might think. We had temps down to 0 degrees (or lower) some nights last winter.

More people should try this plant in the north, the fragrance is wonderful.

I hope it blooms this year before the frost, and that it survives the winter again.

Will keep you all posted on results.

------------------------------------------------------------------
OCT 2005

Sorry to report my night Jasmine did not come back this past spring. So it came back from the winter one year (last year), but I guess it was too weak to come back for a second : (

Positive enochj On Jun 25, 2003, enochj from (Zone 7b) wrote:

I love this plant! However, once, when I was over-wintering it in the house, it bloomed before I realized it. Outside it produces a fabulous fragrance, inside it is overwhelming.

I live in Central Arkansas, USDA Zone 7; mine is in the ground this year and I'm thinking of leaving a little bit of it outside to see if it will make it with heavy mulch.

Neutral Chrysalid On May 31, 2003, Chrysalid wrote:

This plant is used in Spain to deter mosquitoes at nighttime, as well as other flying insects like flies.

Positive SFbay On May 27, 2003, SFbay wrote:

I live in Oakland California (U.S.) on a hot southwest facing slope. My Night-Blooming Jasmine was planted in front of a hot wall in a raised bed and with considerable smog from a busy street only a few feet away. It survived several years with no water before I moved in. I think it is much tougher than it is given credit for. We don't get hard freezes though. It has even reacted negatively to regular water, but it is established. This is one of my new favorites!

Neutral judycei On Apr 21, 2003, judycei wrote:

I have enjoyed this plant since buying my first home, where there are two of the night blooming jasmines, one each on the front and rear of my home.

The once-enjoyable aroma has become unbearable and I find I am having allergic reactions and believe it is the Night-Blooming Jasmine. Usually I keep it trimmed back as it is in front of my son's window so that he gets a view of our yard, but it has gone crazy in the last month with new growth and is nearly as tall as my house.

Positive kathi817 On Apr 6, 2003, kathi817 wrote:

I planted one near a busy highway in central Florida (U.S.) It is surrounded by hot concrete and car exhausts, gets very little shade, watering, pruning or care of any kind. Four years later, it stands 8 feet tall, five feet across and blooms all summer and fall. Frosts and drought do not seem to affect it.

Positive jacaranda On Mar 7, 2003, jacaranda wrote:

In Puerto Rico, to my surprise, this tree is not very common. It is incredible how the seeds and flowers atract all kind of birds and insects. Hummingbirds, bees, butterflyes come frequently to eat the seeds or suck the nectar. It is hard to believe, unless one has the chance to see it.

The only drawback is the high amount of seeds that fall on the ground/pots and become seedlings really fast. It is the price to pay for having the pleasure of watching other living organisms interacting with a tree. A tree like this at least in the tropics, makes a common garden, a habitat.

Positive drjay On Dec 22, 2002, drjay wrote:

I greatly enjoyed my two large jasmines while they were in bloom- the fragrance is wonderful. However, I learned one thing the hard way. This plant is EXTREMELY susceptible to mealy bugs. None of my many other plants had the bugs, so these two clearly had them when I took them home from the nursery. Always check them very carefully before buying.

Positive CaliK8 On Dec 21, 2002, CaliK8 from van nuys, CA wrote:

To me, the scent is to die for! It brings strong memories of summer childhood.

I was ready to prune it during the holiday break, as we're in the middle of winter in Los Angeles, California (U.S.) and suddenly the scent was so strong I had get a flashlight and find the source! It's more full of flowers that at the peak of summer, even though this morning I had ice on my car!

Positive caraboof On Nov 12, 2002, caraboof from Spring, TX (Zone 9b) wrote:

I have had night blooming jasmines for 16 years. I am a fragrance person and LOVE the fragrance, but as another poster noted, it is a powerful fragrance and if you have an allergy, you would have a big one.

Propagating...I am not positive if it spreads by root or by seed or both. but I know it does inlarge and send off shoots that become or are separate plants. Transplants very easily. We had to move and just dug it up and relocated. Doesn't like it too dry being a tropical.

Very lush and erotic fragrance and I clip it and put it inside but it still only blooms after dark.

Mine has frozen back (Living in South Texas, it doesn't freeze too hard) and have not lost a plant.

Update 7-24-04 Read a tag on a plant at a nursery "Blooms only in the full moon." Interesting. I never connected the two. Doesn't like wet feet.

Negative ejrobinson On Oct 21, 2002, ejrobinson wrote:

While night blooming jasmine is a gorgeous plant with charming blooms, the scent also produces severe allergic reactions in some individuals. Please be aware of this, especially when planting near a child's window or a neighbor's fence. Nighttime allergy and asthma attacks can be very serious. Thank you!

Neutral Moogie On May 28, 2002, Moogie from Lewisville, TX wrote:

An evergreen shrub to 12 ft tall with 4 to 8 inch leaves and clusters of creamy white flowers in the summer, setting white berries in the fall.

Nip back consistently to maintain compact form and cut back severely after flowering or fruiting.

It may freeze back by a heavy frost but will recover quickly. Hardy to 15F.

Fairhope, Alabama
Davis, California
Fallbrook, California
Glendora, California
La Jolla, California
Laguna Beach, California (2 reports)
Laguna West-lakeside, California
Los Angeles, California (3 reports)
Martinez, California
Milpitas, California
Ontario, California
Ramona, California
Roseville, California
San Clemente, California
San Diego, California (3 reports)
Stockton, California
Valley Center, California
Ventura, California
Altamonte Springs, Florida
Aventura, Florida
Babson Park, Florida
Bartow, Florida (2 reports)
Bellview, Florida
Big Pine Key, Florida
Bonifay, Florida
Boyette, Florida
Brent, Florida
Brooksville, Florida
Cape Coral, Florida (4 reports)
Clearwater, Florida
Groveland, Florida
Haverhill, Florida
Heathrow, Florida
Hobe Sound, Florida
Jacksonville, Florida (4 reports)
Keystone, Florida
North De Land, Florida
Ocala, Florida
Oldsmar, Florida
Olympia Heights, Florida
Orlando, Florida (3 reports)
Palm Coast, Florida
Pembroke Pines, Florida
Pompano Beach, Florida
Rockledge, Florida
South Daytona, Florida (2 reports)
South Venice, Florida
Spring Hill, Florida
St Petersburg, Florida
Summerfield, Florida
Tildenville, Florida
Vero Beach, Florida (2 reports)
Winter Park, Florida
Bayou Cane, Louisiana
Chackbay, Louisiana
Lafayette, Louisiana
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Old Jefferson, Louisiana (2 reports)
Saint Michaels, Maryland
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Lake City, Tennessee
Ace, Texas
Balcones Heights, Texas
Baytown, Texas (2 reports)
Bee Cave, Texas
Muniz, Texas
Murchison, Texas
Palm Valley, Texas
Plano, Texas (2 reports)
San Antonio, Texas (2 reports)
Spring, Texas (2 reports)
Texas City, Texas