PlantFiles: ZZ Plant, Aroid Palm, Succulent Philodendron, Zanzibar Gem
Zamioculcas zamiifolia

Family: Araceae (a-RAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Zamioculcas (zam-ee-oh-KUL-kass) (Info)
Species: zamiifolia (zam-ee-FOH-lee-uh) (Info)

Synonym:Caladium zamiaefolium
Synonym:Zamioculcas loddigesii
Synonym:Zamioculcas lanceolata

USDA Zone 9a: to -6.6 °C (20 °F)
USDA Zone 9b: to -3.8 °C (25 °F)
USDA Zone 10a: to -1.1 °C (30 °F)
USDA Zone 10b: to 1.7 °C (35 °F)
USDA Zone 11: above 4.5 °C (40 °F)

Brown/Bronze

By giancarlo
Thumbnail #7 of Zamioculcas zamiifolia by giancarlo

Positive 2013_2 On May 19, 2014, 2013_2 from Greenville, TX wrote:

Zone 8b, Greenville, Hunt Co., Texas
Over wintered in south window.
5/19/2014 placed outside in shade tree on west area.
No problems with this ZZ Plant!
TRY IT YOU'LL LOVE IT!

Positive MusaRojo On Jun 24, 2013, MusaRojo wrote:

I bought this plant as a rescue from a supermarket. It had been without water for so long the stems looked like black wires! The leaves were covered in mineral deposits from a happier time in the plant’s life when it had been watered occasionally. To get rid of the mineral deposits I gave the plant a heavy daily misting with bottled water instead of pouring water onto the soil once a week or so.

As the plant took in water from the misting, the stems plumped up into their normal shape. A spear which had halted its growth began growing, and became larger than the older spears. The plant then produced three entirely new spears, all of which were much larger than the older spears. At this point I thought it was time to repot the plant and found that yet another new spear has started growing! At this point the transplant is on hold because the plant is in active growth. The plant has more than doubled in size since I bought it and is way out of scale with its pot. I will put the current pot inside a cache pot to make the plant look balanced and then transplant it into a larger pot next spring.

Positive absinthe27 On Aug 29, 2012, absinthe27 from Albertville, MN (Zone 4b) wrote:

This plant is ridiculously easy to take care of. I have two in the house and one in my office, all of which are about three years old, and none have ever had problems. One is planted is a round fishbowl with no drainage material whatsoever, and still it flourishes. Very pretty and super easy to maintain.

Positive leha On Sep 12, 2011, leha from Santa Rosa, CA wrote:

ZZ is a nice, and relatively nontoxic plant, although you should not eat it. I suspect the rumors about it being poisonous came from someone who confused it with the cycad, Zamia furfuracea, to which it is not the least bit related, though it bears a cursory resemblance, and may have gotten its name from this.

Zamia furfuracea has a pretty bad reputation for killing those who eat its seeds (or probably any part of it), but ZZ, as I said, is innocent.

ZZ may have also suffered from this case of mistaken identity on another score: water. Unlike Zamia, ZZ does need regular water. If you don't water it, the plant may go dormant and drop its leaflets. This will not kill it, as watering can bring it back, but it will be prettier with water.

My ZZ came with a baby plantlet already buried in the pot, with an old leaflet still attached. So now I have two plants! I love them.

Positive Alexwtf_93 On Dec 6, 2010, Alexwtf_93 from Susanville, CA wrote:

i got this 4 years ago in a 4 inch pot, i repotted it right away and it spread out and filled the new pot, it is now in a 10 inch container and almost 3 feet tall, grows well wherever i put it

Neutral allisons883 On Mar 20, 2010, allisons883 from Vincent, AL wrote:

When my mother died in Aug 08, the flower shop sold me a zeze plant because I told them of my inability to grow anything except weeds. They said I would not have a problem with this plant because it can be neglected and grow great. It did for about a year and half. Here lately the ends up the stalks have dried and shriveled up. The bottoms of the stalks are still green and full. It is looking pretty rough. I have been trying to find information about this and see what I can do to help revive this plant with no such luck. Anyone else have problems with dry shriveled stalks??

Positive trackinsand On Feb 25, 2010, trackinsand from mid central, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

i'll add my 2 cents on the ZZ plant. mine was purchased several years ago at HD. it was already a large plant. i bought an appropriate pot for it (a rather squat but large diameter, round plastic pot) and also a plant dolly because i knew it would be too heavy to move around the back porch which faces east.

it gets morning sun for several hours year round. i water it about every 10 days in summer and hose it down (on mist setting) about once a month. when the stalks get too unwieldy i cut them off and use in a vase inside. they last for months.

the first winter i had it, i wheeled into the house when our temps dipped below freezing but this winter was such a long, unusually cold one and the plant has gotten so wide that i left it on the (screened) porch with the ceiling fan running to keep air movement and lessen the cold impact. i have not watered it in about 3 months now and the drought conditions of winter and the freezing temps have not bothered it one bit. it still looks beautiful.

i will resume watering and liquid feeding march 1st.

Positive mkkk On Feb 5, 2010, mkkk from Kota Kinabalu
Malaysia wrote:

I am from Malaysia, zz plant in Malaysia is money tree, and it is very famous, but since last year newspaper reported that the tree is poisonous, even the soil in the pot and advice not to touch the plant or reuse the soil to plant fruit or veg.
I do notised that the pot can never grow other plant for so long we are having the zz in our car porch.
I would like to find out more.

Positive JerusalemCherry On Aug 27, 2009, JerusalemCherry from Dunellen, NJ (Zone 6b) wrote:

Check out the picture I uploaded on this page with my Variegated ZZ Plant. You can find the standard ZZ Plant at home improvement stores etc, but the variegated ZZ Plant I could only find online and the member that was selling it was located in Thailand. Most Thai online plant sellers will ship to the US bare root via EMS. My ZZ plant arrived in great condition and very quickly (approx 4 days).

I find the care of this variegated ZZ Plant the same as the all green version. I water the ZZ Plant well (I grow it in cactus soil or potting soil that I add sand/turface too). Once the soil is near dry I water it again during the active growing season. During the winter months (I live in NJ ‘northeastern US’) I keep it dry for most of the winter months. During this winter time, I only water the plant approx once a month in a sunny window. I find direct winter sun in my area does not harm the ZZ Plant, as direct summer sun will burn the leaves. Then in late spring, I relocate the ZZ Plant outdoors to a dabbled sun or just morning sun and mostly shade area and watering picks up as described. I feed once a month during the summer months with Schultz Cactus Plant Food (2-7-7).

You also see ZZ Plants in office complexes across the USA and the world. They are seen quite often in the lobbies of NYC buildings (along with Sansevieria, aka, Snake Plant/Mother in Laws Tongue). These plants are also grown in outdoor landscape in milder climates for shaded areas etc.

The ZZ Plant (Zamioculcas Zamifolia) has leaves that appear waxy/glossy and are very attractive/exotic looking in general. It’s a prefect plant for someone that is forgetful about watering. Virtually, the only way to kill a ZZ Plant is if you overwater or stop watering all together. Just follow the instructions above and you should have success with this plant.

Dmail me on this website if you have any questions..

Positive silvettann On Aug 3, 2009, silvettann from Abilene, TX wrote:

In 2004 I was dazzled by the ZZ plant in a garden center - in of all places-- WALMART- McAlester, Oklahoma! The price was insane but I purchased anyway. No one there had a clue what it was or how to take care of it. After checking out the nature of the plant online I was even happier I bought the two they had.
I have four pots of them now (2009) and I've given away at least three pots to friends. I divide them when the pots get too choked. To my knowledge none have bloomed.
I have left for months and they survived without being watered and I've watered them alot and they survived too much attention. Some are in the house in the hot morning sun and some are in no light whatsoever, one stays outside in dappled light until the weather starts to change in the fall. Two pots have leaf stalks that are close to being three feet long, one pot only sports seven inch stalks.
It's very impressive when a new stalk of leaves emerge and starts to unfold, so if I never see this plant bloom the leaf opening display is exciting enough.
If you want to give a gift to a plant lover, this should be right up there on your top ten list. In the right pot-- it will be an exceptional trophy for years.

Positive sevp On Jun 15, 2009, sevp from Warne, NC wrote:

Love this plant! I've bought it about 4 years ago, had it in a bright sunroom in our house in Georgia and moved over the winter to North Carolina. Right now it's living on top of a cabinet with 2nd story windows giving it lots of light. It had 4 small fronds when I got it, has added 5 large ones in the past, and is working on 2 right now. I've severely neglected it at times and spoiled it some too. It's still in it's first pot, but after reading all your comments I can't wait to repot it to see what will happen! Never lost a leaf and even though my daughter's cats have nibbled on just about all my other houseplants they never touched this one. Smart cats.

Positive activeZZ On Dec 3, 2008, activeZZ from Hoboken, NJ wrote:

I purchased a 3' ZZ Plant in June 2008 and it seems to be growing a lot faster than what I've read about this plant. It's in a 13" wide pot, gets no sunlight, and two cups of water every two weeks. Over the summer, it grew almost ten "incomplete" flowers and it still has one (I removed the others, because they turned brown). It has grown eight new stalks since I got it and the tallest new stalk is already 3' tall. All the new stalks, including their leaves, are light green.

The plant is still, and has always been, very healthy. However, the leaves of several of the pre-existing stalks started turning yellow, then brown and eventually came off easily. The tops of the stalks started turning brown and I cut them down. The bottom 3-5 inches of the stalks are still dark green, but brown and narrow above that. I'm guessing the plant is going with the theme of, "In with the new, out with the old."

Am I pruning the plant correctly? What should be done with the stubs of the old stalks? I'm guessing I could dig them out, but am afraid of damaging the plant. What would happen if I just left them in place? Would they grow again?

Positive ExoticRainforest On Apr 12, 2008, ExoticRainforest from Siloam Springs, AR wrote:

Some of the information above does not exactly line up with botanical findings although it is generally accepted by most growers.

The ZZ plant gets its common name from the scientific name Zamioculcas zamiifolia Engl. The plant is an aroid and it is one of the most unusual of all aroids. The species is also sometimes known by the synonyms Zamioculcas loddigesii, Zamiacaulcas zamiafolia, Zamioculcas lanceolata, and strangely Caladium zamiaefolium but the common names are Aroid Palm, Arum Fern, Money Plant, or simply ZZ Plant.

The ZZ plant is an unusual aroid from Zanzibar and Tanzania in eastern Africa. This strange plant has many different sizes which is why it has several different scientific names. Botanists used to think the plants that were taller were a different species than the ones that are small. But size really doesn't matter so the only species name now accepted is Zamioculcas zamiifolia The plant grows with all its glossy leaves facing one direction and is normally found in its natural habitat in dry grassland and lowland forests on rocky lightly shaded terrain. The plant will do well in a tropical setting as well and botanists have learned the amount of water you offer the plant really doesn't matter. The plant doesn't seem to care if it is grown wet or dry so long as the soil drains quickly. This message came from Peter Boyce, botanist, who is one of the authors of the Genera of Araceae, a scientific text. This Pete lives and works in Singapore, "It is a very popular plant, especially with the Chinese, who regard it as lucky (i.e., bringing in money) by the way it can regenerate by the leaflets. Here we grow it either in pots of red soil (mainly derived from local ultisols of pH 4-5) mixed with 1/5 bulk coarse sand to give a water permeable mix that is high in nutrients, or in the open ground in medium shade. In both 'habitats' plants will receive water virtually every day either from rainfall (Kuching receives ca. 5 m per annum) or in times of no rain then from hand watering. In such conditions plants grow very quickly, producing a new leaf every 3 - 4 weeks. A plant raised from a single leaflet will carry 12 - 15 leaves and ca. 75 cm tall within a year. The one caveat to giving so much water is that our temperatures are permanently high; minimum 22 C nighttime and 28 C daytime with maxima of 26 C and 36 C respectively. Humidity averages 80%." Since Pete was quoting temperatures in Celsius it should be noted those temps would be the equivalent of very warm in the United States.

But proper watering appears to be best if some sort of a dry period is included. I personally know of a person in Florida who skipped four months and the plant survived! This aroid likes to be kept wet in summer but prefers drier conditions in the winter in most cases.

Propagation can be done from the seeds the plant will eventually produce in the wild or leaf cuttings. However, seed production in captive growth is extremely rare. The plant is an aroid and thus produces an inflorescence including a spathe and spadix and the seeds form on the spadix provided it is pollinated by an insect. This species has a unique way of inviting an insect pollinator which is likely an ant or ground dwelling beetle. When the spathe is ready to be pollinated it actually bends and lowers itself to make contact with the ground. It is almost as if the plant is extending a "red carpet" to any passing pollianator on the ground to climb on. But since the plant likely uses a very specific insect to do the work of pollination that event is rarely seen by a grower. There is a fantastic article in the book The Genera of Araceae regarding this plant written by three botanists. Although very technical, it almost totally destroys much of the popular belief regarding this species. In nature this plant does not exist without water! It has a very distinct wet and dry period. But that dry period should not be over extended or the plant will suffer. Regardless of what you've been lead to believe, this species needs water!!

You can simply lay a leaf on sandy soil and it will eventually grow a new plant if kept damp. It is the only known aroid which can be reproduced by simply putting a leaf in soil. This characteristic is unknown in aroids other than the Zamioculcadeae. Zamioculcas zamiifolia can tolerate low water, low light and some neglect for periods of time which often serves to make it a good houseplant. That is likely why florists and tropical nurseries have taken to selling the plant. Some sellers will advertise it is a "new plant" but in truth it has been around since the beginning of time. It has only been commercially sold since about 2000 when it was commonly produced via tissue culture (cloned).

Experienced growers including a number of curators of botanical gardens have grown the plant successfully in fully tropical conditions. I personally grow one in a tropical rain forest atrium with absolutely no problem including high humidity and very wet conditions during the heat of the year. Virtually all botanical growers I have traded information with (and that is many) recommend planting the aroid in very well draining soil similar to cactus soil with plenty of sand added.

It is also considered a suitable plant for shaded landscapes or terrariums. However, it is tropical and cannot be grown outdoors in a cold climate. Temperatures much below 50F (10C) will likely harm the specimen.

Positive vossner On Mar 29, 2008, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

A house plant I have not killed.

Positive Sharkey On Feb 9, 2008, Sharkey from Marianna, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I purchased this plant 3 to 4 months ago at Walmart. However, I just subscribed to this site in hopes that someone can help me save the plant before an unidentified worm destroys it. I noticed a number of worms (?) in the tray underneath the plant. I'm not sure what they are and how to treat it. I assume that is why some of the leaves are turning yellow. I only water it every few weeks. It is indoors in a southeast corner and it gets lots of light during the day. It's a thick plant with many 3 to 4 ft. stalks. Some of the larger stalks are leaning almost completely horizontal. I love the plant and want to save it! Even though I'm having a slight problem with it, I would still recommend it! I'm looking forward to learning to use all the resources of this site, as I have lots of plants and lots of questions.

Positive fburg696 On Jan 6, 2008, fburg696 from Farmersburg, IN wrote:

I picked one of these plants up at Lowe's after seeing it there a couple times when I went there for potting soil.I knew it would die if i didnt get it so i bought it and I have never regretted it.
This plant is sort of slow growing but when it does put on new growth it is very rewarding.I like the way the leaves are created by this plant, they sort of unfurl when they are mature.I havent had any blooms yet, but there is signs of new growth.
The form of this plant is very appealing to me.It's also one of the easiest going plants i have.
I am sort of new to houseplants and I have had no trouble taking care of this one.A little water and fertilizer every once in a while is all it takes.Mine gets morning sun and after that it gets shade in the afternoon.
If you are thinking about getting one, dont hesitate.You will not be disappointed by Zamioculcas zamiifolia.

Positive txboy65 On Nov 26, 2007, txboy65 from Austin, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Had mine for a few years now. Found it at a local home improvement store. It has quickly outgrown the pot I put it in - which is a shame since the jade color of the pot really looks good with the leaves. Just brought in in from under the tree where it spent all Summer here in Austin Tx. I had to pry it out of the ground where it took root. I am thinking a wider pot for this item. Looks like it wants to spread. Probably have about 2 dozen amazing green and smooth branches with more on the way. Just a lovely item to have.

Positive robbit On Oct 10, 2007, robbit from Brooklyn, NY wrote:

yesterday i went to the florist down the block and saw this sad tall, slender plant. i didn't know what it was, and the guy working that night never really knows what the plants are called or how to take care of them. then i had a dream about the plant. so today i went and got him! he was nearly falling over--too tall and not many roots to hold him up. the man working showed me what he is "supposed" to look like and showed me a "healthier" one and said he'd give it to me for 8 bucks if i wanted to take it. he said it wasn't doing so well. I got him anyway! he looks healthy to me...i think he was just not potted very well. i got some potting soil and a new pot for him and replanted him (or...all 4 of him and a knot i also found!). he seems a lot more stable now. can't wait to see how he develops!

his name is Slim. :o)

Neutral Sashagirl On Sep 4, 2007, Sashagirl from Davenport, IA (Zone 5a) wrote:

I have a love/hate relationship with this plant.

After having admired them for several years, I bought a small one four years ago, in a 5" terra cotta pot-from a local Florist.
In the four years I had it, it never grew or changed one bit, except that one of the smaller stems lost a couple leaves.
It didn't make a difference where I placed it , for months at a time. Even plant lights didn't encourage it to grow.
The roots appeared healthy, no disease or insect problems. Finally, after coddling it for all that time, I gave up in disgust, and pitched it.
Sure wish I knew what the problem was, tho.
And, no.....it wasn't plastic. :-)

Positive marybeverly On Jul 23, 2007, marybeverly from Northbrook, IL wrote:

I found this ZZ plant in Naples Florida and its the most wonderful plant you can have, especially good for beauty and conversation. I have even made cuttings and rooted them for friends.

Positive goldendragon On Jun 26, 2007, goldendragon from Mannford, OK wrote:

My husband and I live a few miles west of Tulsa, Ok. I was given a start of the ZZ plant in the spring of 2004. I have repotted it 3 times since using just ordinary potting soil. The latest repotting was early May 2007. It had already put on 2 flower stems by that time. Since repotting to a larger pot, it has put out several new shoots. As to whether they are leaf stems or flower is yet to be seen. I normally keep the plant in my livingroom during the winter with subdued light from a nearby window. In the spring I put it out on the deck as soon as all frost danger is past and the night time temperatures remain above 55 degrees. It receives early morning sun and about 4 hours of afternoon sunlight. The only thing I have found to cause any damage to the plant is Hummingbird nectar. Especially if it is homemade with sugar. If the nectar drips onto the leaves, it will cause burn spots. My plant currently stands at 3ft in height and about the same in spread. Last spring some of the leaves were damaged by hail, although they seem to have completely healed now. This is one of the easiest plants I have ever grown. It is one of the most carefree plants along with my rubber tree. I hope everyone enjoys theirs as much as I do mine.

If your ZZ plant becomes rootbound and you choose to put it in a bigger pot, gently remove some of the soil around the rootball so the roots can spread. If you use rocks in the bottom of your pots to assist in drainage, be prepared. Once the plant becomes rootbound, the roots will pull the rocks up into the rootball. This is one of the oddest things I have ever seen.

If your plant gets to big to handle it is easy to separate. Gently remove the entire plant from its current pot and lay it on the ground or some where that you have access to a garden hose and water. With the water turned on with medium pressure, wash all the dirt from the tubers. If tubers are not easily separated, you may use a sharp knife to cut between tubers that may have become one large one. This will not hurt the plant. It is another way of saving your original plant but also gaining some new ones. This is how I got mine. My sister-in-law had one that had outgrown its pot and to big to move. This was the first time I had ever tried anything with this plant. She wanted it split into 4 or 5 other pots. I took the smallest one, and it is now the largest of all the splits.

In the Fall, be sure to take your ZZ plant inside by the time the nighttime temperatures start dropping into the upper to mid 50s. I have found this to work well with almost all my house plants.
Have fun and enjoy.

Positive VERTICOLOR On Oct 5, 2006, VERTICOLOR from TROIS-RIVIÈRES, QC (Zone 3b) wrote:

Back in 2001, my wife and I purchased a ZZ plant which then had only 3 or 4 stems of roughly one foot high. We were attracted by its particularly shiny, plastic-like foliage disposed neatly about those smooth cylindrical stems and also by the peculiar look of those stems at the base. We thought at that time that this plant was some kind of cycad but after intensive searches on the Internet, including this wonderfully well arranged Dave’s Garden site, we found what exactly the plant was.

After a few years of steady and trouble free growing, in June 2005 to be exact, the plant sprouted a curious “thing” that was trying to hide alongside the pot, as if it were ashamed of its appearance! Sure enough, that “think” was not nice at all and was curving down like a sick or underdeveloped stem of some sort. A few days later, a small ear of corn-like was apparent within a tender green “wrapping”. This wrapping soon opened up and eventually folded rearward to end up looking like a sharp pointed leave, allowing the “flower” to be almost totally uncovered. I found out later that this “flower thing” is actually a spath, as in the vast sub-family of Aroids plants (arum). To my surprise, I subsequently found out that both female and male flowers were sported by the same "stem" if you like.

It was quite interesting to watch the subtle changes at the surface of this spath, turning from smooth, tightly arranged light creamy colored clusters, to rusty isolated small islands, with the formation of some kind of whitish growths that seems to be stamens.

The plant has produced another spath last week. I took a few photos that I would happily share in this space.

In closing, it might be useful to add that we keep our plant inside from early September to late May as we live in Quebec, Canada (USDA Hardiness Zone 4, Canadian Hardiness Zone 3b). In the warm season, we leave it outside in a semi shaded area of our patio where the tight latticed panels provide sufficient protection from direct sunrays.

Positive DirkRyan On Sep 18, 2006, DirkRyan from Mitchell, NE wrote:

i bought a zz plant form my college plant sale i love it its slow to grow a new stem but uts an prefect plant for my room which gets no direct sun and i enjoy its leaf texture.

Positive Sujatha On Apr 25, 2006, Sujatha from Kuala Lumpur
Malaysia wrote:

An easy plant to grow and has lovely glossy leaves. Grows very well in tropical climate like Malaysia. In Malaysia, it is locally called the prosperity plant and feng shui believers generally keep this plant in the house for good luck.

Positive coopermini_1 On Apr 24, 2006, coopermini_1 from Saint Paul, MN wrote:

The ZZ is so cool, it's fun to see it grow because it's fast! I love how the leaves unfurl....AND mine has a small "pod", I'm hoping it's a flower bud! Can't wait to see what it turns out to be. Love this plant!

Positive brugmansialover On Jun 18, 2005, brugmansialover from Santa Maria, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I love ZZ plant! It is soo pretty, and very easy to grow, i have it in my restroom, where it doesnt get alot of light, but it sure looks like it loves what im doing, it gets humidity when i take a shower, or a bath, and i use bottled water on all my house plants, because i have bad tap water in this town!!! I cant wait for my ZZ plant to get big, i have seen some huge ones in person, about 3 feet tall!!!

Positive artcons On Apr 20, 2005, artcons from Fort Lauderdale, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

Here in zone 10 it has been a good grower. It's just a bit over a year old. It's growing in light shade.
The leaves are deep green and very shiny. It has not been bothered at all by all the available insects here.
It can be grown from a leaf in soil or sand, and a cut branch put into soil or sand. It takes about 4-6 weeks to grow.
Mine from a cutting at Key West, Florida.

Positive txgirl221 On Feb 23, 2005, txgirl221 from Saratoga, TX wrote:

I love my ZZ plant. Is feb and it has been on 6 new stems. But now I have 2 old stems that the leaves are dying on. What is wrong. Can anyone help me?

Positive sophieprincess On Feb 3, 2005, sophieprincess from Melbourne
Australia wrote:

I took a trip to China shortly after purchasing my ZZ plant from a department store in Australia. To my amazement I saw the same plant bonsaied in the breakfast lobby of my hotel (and had very little exposure to daylight at all) I truly was a magnificant specimen in the tint pt with the very fleshy stems bulging out of the top!

Positive dvotaw On Oct 17, 2004, dvotaw from Lancaster, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

My first siteing was in my doctors office building four years ago. I was just dying to know what it was. Even told my husband how neat this plant was. Well after 4 years of seeing it, I finally got the nerve to reach in and rip off by hand a small stem.(4 leaves)
I was not sure what to do with it I kept in in water for about a month, then I planted it, my friend saw it ask what is was? I surely didn't know, told her I ripped it off after admireing it for 4 years. About 2 weeks later she called from Walmart, said it's a ZZ plant, they were $5.00 , I said get me four of them. They are my pride and joy.
Just such a interesting plant.

Positive Indyka On Aug 27, 2004, Indyka from Sulphur, OK wrote:

After doing a little research of my own on the ZZ Plant I have found out that Plant needs to be planted in a shallow containr and in sandy soil. Since I have just recently purchased this ZZ Plant I wanted to find out a little more about it. I also found out it looks and resembles the Cycad zamia furfuracea or cardboard palm. Another bit of information I got was to keep the plant away from any hot direct afternoon sun as the plant can burn. A good bright filtered afternoon sun will work just fine. Also if you over water your plant you will find that the leaves will start yellowing. One article said that the ZZ Plant is a member of the Aroid family along with the Philodendron, spathipyllum and the Aglaonema. The only down side of the ZZ Plant was is slow growing process. I personally like this plant it is very beautiful and looks good anywhere you place it in your home. Thank You for letting me Preview your Web Site. Mrs. Cameron, Oklahoma

Positive fredfour On Jun 2, 2004, fredfour from Fair Oaks, CA wrote:

Fast growing, low maintenance plant that can quickly grow into a 4' tall dramatic addition to any household. A great place to start for the novice or new homemaker seeking an easy care, flexible placement, table top, plant stand or eventually floor plant.

Positive palmbob On Feb 6, 2004, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is a great indoor/outdoor potted plant in So Cal... it's a bit tender.. think the rating on cold tolerance is a bit off... I cannot grow it outdoors in Thousand Oaks consistently (dies off in cold years), though have to admit grows back from the tubers... so maybe you could say it is deciduous in 9a-9b. This is a native of Tanzania and Zanzibar, where it commonly found growing in the short forests and among the rocky areas. It is an aroid, but the only aroid that grows from leaf cuttings... just cut a leaf, stuff it in the ground and it will form a bulb. This is a primitive characteristic so it is thought this is one of the more primitive plants on this earth. NOT related to a cycad as some assume by the name.

Positive joeynorris On Nov 9, 2003, joeynorris wrote:

I have found one of the best indoor plants I have seen in years. This plant grows good in any light and goes well in any setting. I am a true ZZ lover!

Neutral kimche On Apr 6, 2003, kimche from Mentor, OH wrote:

This plant was just profiled in Better Homes and Gardens Magazine as a great, easy maintenance houseplant. The plant contains oxalates (hence my adding toxicity to the description), which are the same chemicals as Diffenbachia (Dumb Cane) contains. It could cause swelling on the tongue and mouth if ingested, so I'd be careful around children and pets. I was very close to buying one until I found that out.

Positive jello45420 On Mar 26, 2003, jello45420 from Dayton, OH wrote:

This plant is indeed easy to maintain. It grows rapidly and is an attractive addition to any house plant collection.

Positive Chamma On Dec 22, 2002, Chamma from Tennille, GA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I find that this is one of the easiest plants to grow! I do little for it except water it and when I think of it give it a little fertlizer! It grows into quite a large plant and quickly!

Neutral pinkphal On Oct 8, 2001, pinkphal wrote:

The ZZ plant has thick, succulent stems carrying smooth, waxy, glossy leaves. It develops tubers underground.

It has gained popularity in recent years as a houseplant. It is considered reliable indoors, because it does not require high light or very much water. It does not seem to be prone to pest problems (although they do occur sometimes). It grows fairly slowly, particularly when exposed to cold temperatures.

Phoenix, Arizona (2 reports)
Scottsdale, Arizona
Meriden, Connecticut
Big Pine Key, Florida
Boca Raton, Florida
Brooksville, Florida
Fort Myers, Florida (2 reports)
Homestead, Florida (2 reports)
Lake City, Florida