PlantFiles: Late, Large-Flowered Clematis, Jackman Clematis
Clematis 'Jackmanii'

Family: Ranunculaceae (ra-nun-kew-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Clematis (KLEM-uh-tiss) (Info)
Cultivar: Jackmanii

Single
Flat
Nodding

Bloom Diameter:
Medium - 2 to 5 inches (5 to 12 cm)

Pruning Groups:
Group 3 - Summer/Fall bloomers; prune hard in early spring

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

By TomC_UK

By greygirl
Thumbnail #6 of Clematis  by greygirl

Thumbnail #7 of Clematis  by hczone6

Positive AstilbeHere On Jun 10, 2013, AstilbeHere from Toronto

I have a couple of Jackmanii: one crawls up through a daphne and one on a trellis. I have a Hagley Hybrid too, which I really don't look after, yet it puts up its flowers in early June. The best clemmies are the species types. Macropetala (Blue Bird - Bred for the Canadian prairies, so very hardy, in a sunny south facing aspect) and Alpina (Francis Rivis, Rosy O'Grady) varieties come in pink, deep red with white or cream centres. All are reliable, although mostly spring bloomers. The tangutica and the autumn clematis are both great late summer performers, but need a good haircut in early spring. Grow very tall. Just about to try a Betty Corning; seen it do well in Toronto gardens. None of the species varieties seem to get the sudden clematis wilt (some of you talk of wilt and browning off...it's a known issue with large flowered hybrids, but fades after a few years when the plant gets established and stronger). Try the herbaceous Heracleifolia varieties. The are not climbers and do well in a perennial border planting - small, plentiful blooms. Note: don't use weed whackers near clemmies (can bring a quick end to the season).

Positive Gardenblue2 On Jun 10, 2013, Gardenblue2 from Overland Park, KS (Zone 6a) wrote:

LOVE these!
I have 3 Jackmanii clematis in different parts of my yard.
One is on an obelisk & blooming now. I think it blooms later in the summer too if I cut it back.
One is climbing through my Knock out Roses (by accident, not planned) and is just beautiful! I was so thrilled when I saw this!
One is on a trellis in my side yard.
I cut them all back early in the spring to about 6 inches.
I wholeheartedly recommend this wonderful vining perennial!

Positive mensamom On Jun 10, 2013, mensamom from Laurens, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

The Jackmanii that I planted about 5 years ago had sporadic blooms until this year. I don't prune it unless it starts taking over something it shouldn't. I did add some organic fertilizer to the ground around the plant's base last fall. And this year I have an explosion of purple flowers. Don't know if it was the fertilizer or if this plant is really a "late bloomer" - pun intended!

Positive adjalatyke On Jun 10, 2013, adjalatyke from alliston

Many years ago, I was at a Horticultural club meeting, and the guest speaker [an older gentleman] had known Jackman and it was from that point that I began to pronounce Clematis the same way Jackman did.......as you show on your page.
Thanks
dave

Neutral Cesarsmom On Jun 9, 2012, Cesarsmom from Concord, NH wrote:

I am so glad I read this page! I never knew clematis needed to be cut back! Mine used to almost cover the chain-link fence where it is planted and bloom its head off, but it has become skimpier each of the last 3 years or so, and this year it is a shadow of its former self; now I know why -- I have never pruned it! I am preparing to move and will certainly want clematis in my new location, but now I know what to do to keep it vigorous. Thank you everyone!

Positive GreenThumbToo On Apr 23, 2012, GreenThumbToo from Sierra Vista, AZ wrote:

Hello All,
I now live in AZ, but I had a beautiful clematis in IL, growing in my garden of a 1893 house. It was over 10' high, up to 20'. I say this because the house was a large two story, not including the attic and the clematis was almost all the way to the top of the house! It was established when I purchased the home and people would stop by and ask me about this beautiful vine.

All I did was water it, along with my other flowers, in the same bed. It faced east and the feet were shaded by the other plants. I did nothing else to it, including pruning it. It just kept blooming and blooming through spring, summer and fall!

I'm looking for one to plant in my Sierra Vista, AZ garden, hopefully it will grow as nicely as it did in Illinois!

Positive outdoorlover On Apr 17, 2012, outdoorlover from Enid, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

OMG!!! I can't believe I found the name of this clematis. I bought it around 2006 from Sam's and it did not have a name other than "clematis". It has been growing to beat the band since then. People stop by our house and ask what that plant is. It is awesome. Since we moved I have been sad because I did not bring it with me. Today I started looking at new clematis' to buy and plant and saw this one and it is the same as my old favorite!!!! I'm so excited! Ordered two of them!!! It loves living in our area and blooms its heart out.

I ordered them from Bluestone Perennials and they said this plant immigrated from England in the 1850s.

Negative altoclef On Aug 15, 2011, altoclef from Los Altos, CA wrote:

The plant has been in the ground for 5 years. It is growing slowly, and has had one flower, none this year. It gets sun most of the day (6 hours), and the roots are shaded. It is next to a camellia - but gets more sun than the camellia. It is hardly worth the effort - although, apart from staking the plant, I do nothing special.

Negative herbella On Aug 15, 2011, herbella from Albuquerque, NM wrote:

I read that this variety of clematis was supposed to be able to survive in the arid climate of Albuquerque, New Mexico and in our poor, sandy soil. Alas, all three of the plants that I bought died, although I planted them in different areas of our garden. It was an expensive lesson.

Positive bigarden On May 31, 2011, bigarden from Beecher, IL wrote:

I love this plant. It is one of the few that I don't have to worry about. It has grown reliably for over 15 years in an enclosed 'planting area' that is filled with dense yellow foundation clay. It loves it. I hard prune to about 12 inches height in January and sprinkle a bit of 'organic' fertilizer about the base. That's it. I would highly recommend this plant to anyone wanting a low maintenance climbing vine. It trains well during its spring growth period.

Positive coffinitup On May 31, 2011, coffinitup from Pahrump, NV wrote:

Grows beautifully in our intense heat in the desert, just a few miles from Death Valley

Positive mamakatz On Feb 7, 2010, mamakatz from Orangeburg, SC wrote:

MY PLANT IS IN A 2'x2' POT GROWING UP A TRELLIS.
IT GETS SUN ON TOP BUT THE POT IS SHADED. I HAVE IT IN A FLOWER BED SO OTHER PLANTS SHADE
THE POT. I NEVER GIVE IT ATTENTION AND IT SEEMS TO DO JUST FINE. I JUST SIT BACK AND ENJOY THE BEAUTY!

Positive bonehead On Nov 22, 2009, bonehead from Cedarhome, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I grow this at the foot of a lilac for support, the clematis literally covers the lilac for a second 'bloom' in June-July. I've puzzled more than one person looking at the lilac leaves but seeing clematis blooms. In spring I just cut back hard and pull last year's vines from the lilac before they put on their own show.

Positive NDJollyMon On Aug 8, 2009, NDJollyMon from Grand Forks, ND wrote:

Very hardy plant, even with our extreme winters. We have 2 of these vines growing up a large arbor. Giant, long blooming purple flowers on vines about 11' long. Arbor faces Southeast, in full sun with root area mulched. No special winter protection needed. In Spring, I cut back the vine to about 12" from ground and remove old growth. Plant rapidly grows back each year...very reliable. A stunning entrance to the perrenial garden. It gets better each year after planting...be patient. It's worth the wait!

Positive Marlina On Jul 27, 2009, Marlina from Blaine, MN (Zone 4b) wrote:

My plant gets better each year this has got to be the best one for Minnesota.

Positive 759lady04 On Apr 19, 2009, 759lady04 from Lufkin, TX wrote:

This Clematis has been quite reliable for me. I originally bought it as a piece of root at Lowe's. Now 4-5 years later it is large and vigorous. It vines through the neighboring roses just like I had invisioned. For me, this clematis repeat blooms many times during the season. I really enjoy this plant..

Positive gardenlady123 On Sep 14, 2008, gardenlady123 from Plainwell, MI (Zone 5b) wrote:

I thougt my Jackmanii died!!! But was I surprised when it blossomed the best its ever blossomed before. Georgeously. I do not know how many flowers were on the vine this year. (2008) I know now that I have to prune it in the spring time. Will do that next year. Love this clematis.

Positive Gabrielle On Aug 22, 2008, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

Blooms June-August in my garden. Very pretty and prolific.

Neutral Ladybeetle On Aug 18, 2008, Ladybeetle from zone 7, TX wrote:

My 'Jackmanii', which was purchased two years ago,started
up growing just fine and it had a total of 3 beautiful blooms! The plant continued to remain healthy but quit growing and quit blooming. I have it facing west so it gets all afternoon sun till about4 or 5pm. The roots are in the shade and the ground is moist. Last year I had just a couple blooms also. I mulch with decomposed horse manure mixed with sawdust.

Positive moma4faith On May 31, 2008, moma4faith from Huntsville, AL wrote:

In North Alabama, I find Jackmanii to be very hardy and vigorous whether it be in full sun or part shade. Mulch keeps the roots cool while it climbs to the sun. Very easy to grow and it is the perfect specimen to grow out by the pool - lots of sun and gets very hot out there, but Jackmanii can take the heat and provides incredible blooms.

Positive JasperDale On Nov 26, 2006, JasperDale from Long Beach, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

For years I thought we couldn't grow Clematis here in So. Calif. Mine is coming up on it's 4th year and is doing great. I have it in a Southern exposure, tops in full sun and roots in shade of a dwf. Abelia , and it grows up into a pink Dream Weaver Rose. It gets better every year. I am now going to try other varieties.

Neutral mystic On Sep 21, 2006, mystic from Ewing, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

Received The Royal Horticultural Society, Award of Garden Merit (AGM) in 1993.

Positive nanabest1 On Jun 28, 2006, nanabest1 from Clarkston, MI (Zone 5b) wrote:

We planted this clematis in our shade garden with dappled morning sun.
It climbs the arbor and produces very large blooms, it's stunning.
nanabest1 in Clarkston, MI

Positive sm_all1 On May 19, 2006, sm_all1 from Virginia Beach, VA wrote:

1ST year sleeps, 2nd year creeps, 3rd year leaps. Great plant.

Positive TBGDN On Feb 14, 2006, TBGDN from Macy, IN wrote:

This is the first clematis I ever bought in 1985. It has since been divided at the root mass (a major job: very tough!) in very early spring, and made into several separate plants. I've l lost track of how many 'starts' I have given away to gardening friends. It is unquestionably a favorite of many gardeners. I understand it has been around for a very long time, and with its great growth and blooms not surprising. I am a firm believer in keeping the roots heavily mulched and/or shaded to retain proper moisture and protected from hot sunlight.

Positive Gindee77 On Jun 1, 2005, Gindee77 from Hampton, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

I've had the same Jackmani Clematis in my garden for over 30 years. It needs to be cut back almost to the ground in early spring and it will grow and bloom for a good share of the summer. It's very hardy in zone 5.

Positive silverbyrch On May 10, 2005, silverbyrch from Portland, OR wrote:

I inherited four clematis plants from my parents last fall and the jackmanii was one of the them. Like other's have noted, they like their toes cool and their heads to be warm. My parent's said it may take a bit for the plant to establish itself and get comfortable in the garden so I really didn't think much of the growth habit per se, I just kept an eye on it and noticed how well it liked the new home.

This year? The goofy thing is having a party of its own! I love it! It's growing beautifully and climbing hardily all over a portion of my backyard cyclone fence. Thankfully it's helping hide the ugly tin shed in my neighbor's back yard. The clematis has not come into bloom yet, but I expect it will within the next couple weeks.

Positive Gourd On Apr 27, 2005, Gourd from Mesilla Park, NM wrote:

Very prolific and 2nd year blooms better than the first.

Neutral jbyrne On Sep 10, 2003, jbyrne from St. John's
Canada (Zone 5a) wrote:

Had a bit of a problem with it this summer (2003). It is its second year and began to grow vigorously until it suddenly became black and died out; am unsure of the reason. Luckily, a few new shoots followed so the entire plant wasnt killed.

Positive mom2cats On Aug 19, 2003, mom2cats from Moorestown, NJ (Zone 7b) wrote:

Once this plant gets established, it's easy to grow and lovely to own. It does need cool "roots" but mulch should not be placed directly around the base of the stem but rather a few inches away. Mildew can be prevented by ensuring good air circulation around the plant.

This plant likes its "head in the sun, and feet in the shade", which is easily accomplished by planting on a south or west wall behind a low growing shrub until the plant has firmly established itself.

Neutral gsanch On Jul 10, 2003, gsanch wrote:

I am having a lot of problems with powdery mildew. I have it in some shade...possibly too much?

Positive DeeSteveH On May 23, 2003, DeeSteveH from Gretna, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

Have had a bit of trouble getting this to bloom until I added sedum and forget-me-nots as ground cover. Apparently the roots need to stay cool in warmer climates. Got some real beauties out there now.

Neutral Terry On Mar 26, 2002, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Clematis jackmanii is a hybrid species introduced in 1862, and is arguably the most popular Clematis in cultivation.

Neutral Joy On Oct 10, 2001, Joy from Kalama, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Summer flowering.
Locate the Top in full sun, feet in shade to partial shade.
Needs a Fertile, humus rich, well-drained soil.
Prune down to within one foot of soil level before new growth begins (mid-February or first part of March). Can also be pruned in the fall.

Huntsville, Alabama
Tucker, Georgia
Meridian, Idaho
Sandpoint, Idaho
Beecher, Illinois
Chicago, Illinois (3 reports)
Elgin, Illinois