PlantFiles: Sutherland's Begonia
Begonia sutherlandii

Family: Begoniaceae (be-gon-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Begonia (be-GON-yuh) (Info)
Species: sutherlandii (suth-er-LAN-dee-eye) (Info)

» View all varieties of Begonias

Thumbnail #6 of Begonia sutherlandii by wnstarr

By empressjoan
Thumbnail #7 of Begonia sutherlandii by empressjoan

Positive grik On Jun 19, 2011, grik from Saint Paul, MN wrote:

This begonia has a very graceful cascading habit. It is easy to propagate from the little bulbils it forms along the stems. And as a plus for the northern gardener you can just let the pot and all go totally dry and the plant will come back in the spring when you begin watering it again.

My favorite begonia.

Positive begoniacrazii On Jul 22, 2008, begoniacrazii from Northern California, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Hardier than listed here, it can actually survive my 9a zone with 17 winter temps. Prefers cooler temps and will pout in too much heat.

Positive Larry1940 On Jul 31, 2007, Larry1940 from Portland, OR (Zone 8a) wrote:

I purchase two plants with no expectations they'd winter over.
Three years later I can say that one did exceptionally well, and the other became a soil amendment. The one that survived is under a Douglas Fir, in shade with dappled light, with some protection (rocks and other plants). The one that died was in poor soil, and not as protected from the elements. It make a nice addition to the shade garden.

Positive empressjoan On Sep 4, 2006, empressjoan from Ashland, OR wrote:

I purchased this plant more than five years ago and in the fall, when its leaves began to turn yellow, I cut them off and put the pot in my garage, promptly forgetting about it. The next spring when I was cleaning out the garage I noticed signs of growth in the pot so I took it outside, watered it, and it sprang back to life. I have been doing this every year (now fertilizing it when I bring it out) with excellent results. It is a beautiful addition to my shade garden in a hanging basket.

Positive wnstarr On Oct 25, 2003, wnstarr from Puyallup, WA (Zone 5a) wrote:

Edgewood, Washington
I purchased this plant in a 2 inch pot about 5 years ago from Heronwood Nursery. It is still performing. It has been a great surprise that it keeps coming back year after year. I have one that I keep in the greenhouse as insurance, but those in the ground are still coming up every year and blooming in the raised bed in a protected corner. The plant is slow in showing signs of life in the Spring, but does return. Small leaves and wonderfull orange blossoms, is best as a hanging plant or cascading over a rock wall. It grows from a small tuberous root. Propagate by divison or the small new bulblets it produces on the stems.

Neutral Roselaine On Oct 11, 2001, Roselaine from North Vancouver, BC (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is one beautiful plant. Three yrs ago, I happened upon it at a nursery in the Valley, here in British Columbia. I tried to get it then, but the nursery has since shut down. I have a package of seeds which I found in New Zealand.

Neutral Baa On Oct 10, 2001, Baa wrote:

A small tuberous begonia from South Africa.

Has light green, toothed, typically begonia shaped leaves with red veins. Bears single orange flowers for a long period of time.

Flowers June-October

Likes a dryish, poor, well drained, neutral to acid soil. It is hardy down to freezing point.

Has a trailing habit and is great in a single species hanging basket.

Alameda, California