Kuma Zasa Bamboo
Sasa veitchii

Family: Poaceae (poh-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Sasa (SAS-uh) (Info)
Species: veitchii (VEET-chee-eye) (Info)

Ornamental Grasses and Bamboo

Inconspicuous/none

Santa Cruz, California

Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts

Chapel Hill, North Carolina

American Fork, Utah

On Mar 17, 2015, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

A very attractive bamboo widely used in traditional Japanese gardens, generally reaching only 2-3' here in Z6a.

The leaves develop attractive tan edges in late fall/early winter which hold through the winter. "That's not a bug, it's a feature..." The leaf centers are reliably evergreen even here in Z6a.

Deeper shade slows its spread but is no substitute for a root barrier.

On Mar 16, 2015, cellistry from Portland, OR wrote:

To 1potato2 - this bamboo prefers shade or part-shade. I have mine growing in continuous light shade, but in heavy clay soil. It has spread steadily, and I just noticed one sprout jumped 3 feet, so I need to put up a barrier. I have been pruning each stem individually in the late winter/early spring. If one stem does not have a shoot emerging from a node, I cut it to the ground. If it has a shoot, I prune it just above that node. It's a laborious process, but gives the plant more light/space to grow well.

On Oct 3, 2013, 1potato2 from Opal Cliffs, CA wrote:

We have this plant or a relative of it along our hot, sunny driveway. Maybe because of that, it is not thriving and is always mostly brown and dry, with a few straggly green leaves. I am planning to move it to our back yard where it will get more shade. However, I am wondering what to do about all the brown stalks. Is this similar to prairie grass, which needs to be cut down close to the ground every year? Or should I do this just once to allow the sasa to rejuvenate itself? Or should I just try to individually cut off the dead looking stalks? Anybody have any experience/knowledge?

On Oct 10, 2001, Baa wrote:

Syn: Sasa albomarginata

Medium sized Bamboo from Japan.

Has broad, oblong/lance shaped, dark green, glossy leaves upto 10 inch long, which wither at the edges in Autumn.

Likes a moist, well drained, rich soil in sun or shade but will tolerate deep shade.

Like many Bamboos this will spread as far as possibly so restrict the roots to keep it neat.