Black Pepper, White Pepper
Piper nigrum

Family: Piperaceae
Genus: Piper (PIP-er) (Info)
Species: nigrum (NY-grum) (Info)

Herbs

Huntsville, Alabama

Beverly Hills, Florida

Jupiter, Florida

Lecanto, Florida

Miami, Florida (2 reports)

Port Orange, Florida

Round Rock, Texas

San Augustine, Texas

negative

On Sep 26, 2011, annushka1234 from Redwood City, CA wrote:

Responded well to palm fertilizer (container plant)

On Sep 21, 2009, MollyMc from Archer/Bronson, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have had this plant growing in a 5 gallon pot in my Orchid/Greenhouse for 3 years. It is shaded most of the day with some filtered sun mid-afternoon. The vines have grown over into the sandy ground floor and taken root along the way.

When I want to share these with gardeners, I just find a rooted runner vine, cut behind it and pot it up. I will be very pleased to let it keep spreading.

Have had it flower, but seen no fruit yet. Wondering when that might happen.

On Jan 4, 2008, 35811 from Huntsville, AL wrote:

Piper Nigrum:
While living in South Florida (Jupiter) I had found it impossible to germinate from nursery supplied seed, trying for several years under as many varying conditions...I finally found a seller who sold me a tiny rooted cutting, and from that I successfully (with much care) propagated so many vines I had to start giving them away. In that region, I did best by layering - could not get a cutting to take...but layering was ALWAYS a win.
I had the vines planted in pots and let it grow on the ground as a hardy covering...picky when in a container - do NOT over-water or the roots will rot quickly...don't bother feeding...didn't like that either...but in and on the ground, left alone with just a bit of moisture it did not even mind our brief freezes/frosts. In my experi... read more

On Jul 4, 2006, podster from Deep East Texas, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

This plant is a thriving beautiful vine. Needs winter protection in this zone 8a. No blooms as yet but plant is only 1 year old at this time. No pests or problems noted.

On Sep 27, 2003, amorning1 from Islamorada, FL wrote:

Make sure you are not using chlorinated tap water to germinated seeds.

On Sep 27, 2003, ClydeTakahashi from Kahului, HI (Zone 11) wrote:

Having a hard time to germinate seeds in Hawaii.

On Oct 11, 2001, Baa wrote:

Evergreen, woody climber from India and Sri Lanka.

Has glossy, dark green, veined, heart shaped leaves. Bears spikes of small, white flowers. Has round fruit which turn red when ripe.

Flowers June-August

Likes a well drained, fertile soil in light shade, with high humidity and will need strong supports to take its weight. Minimum temperature is 61F so is best grown under glass in temerate zones, where it may even bear fruit.

When the just ripe pepper corns are harvested they are dried which causes them to wrinkle and turn black. White pepper is the same berry but has the skin removed.

Pepper is the oldest trade item from the Orient and was used in Greek and Roman times as a medicine as well as a spice.
... read more