Florida Royal Palm

Roystonea regia

Family: Arecaceae (ar-ek-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Roystonea (roy-STOH-nee-uh) (Info)
Species: regia (REE-jee-uh) (Info)
Synonym:Roystonea elata

over 40 ft. (12 m)

Pale Yellow

From seed; germinate in a damp paper towel

Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing

Wear gloves to protect hands when handling seeds

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

Laveen, Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Tucson, Arizona

Arcadia, California

Coto De Caza, California

Hayward, California

La Habra, California

Los Angeles, California

Oceanside, California (2 reports)

Rancho Cucamonga, California

San Marino, California

San Pedro, California

Santa Barbara, California

Westminster, California

Whittier, California (2 reports)

Wilmington, California

Yorba Linda, California

Big Pine Key, Florida

Boca Raton, Florida (2 reports)

Bonita Springs, Florida

Cape Coral, Florida

Cocoa Beach, Florida

Lake Worth, Florida

Melbourne, Florida

Naples, Florida (2 reports)

Orlando, Florida

Palm Bay, Florida

Port Charlotte, Florida (3 reports)

Saint Cloud, Florida

Tampa, Florida

Venice, Florida

Vero Beach, Florida

North, South Carolina

Brownsville, Texas

Corpus Christi, Texas

On Aug 26, 2014, naplepalm from Naples, FL wrote:

I just peeled the fruit off 5 or six royal seeds ( to propagate) and didn't wear gloves, I washed my hands thoroughly with soap afterwards.. its been about 20 minutes and so far I have no skin irritation from the seed pulp. Tropisofohio, come visit Naples they are in every yard lol but I agree plant more its a great palm. If visiting Naples the Garden center/ landscape company I work for has 8-10' single trunk, double, triple and quad trunks all on sale, your choice $77 They won't ship them but if in town you can pick them up. 239-597-4414 I'm not trying to give a sales pitch just letting you all know where you can find some at a good price. We use an 8-10-10 fertilizer and they look beautiful also I have had success using Lutz palm fertilizer stakes that you can order directly from Lutz... read more

On Feb 20, 2014, DaveTorquay from Torquay
United Kingdom (Zone 10b) wrote:

A very easy to grow and beautiful palm here in Torquay, but very underused! I planted a specimen of approximately 32cm tall back in 1998, by 2005 it was 20ft tall and by 2010 nearing 30ft. We had an exceptionally cold winter in 2010 where I recorded frigid temperatures as low as 3C/37F for 15 minutes just after 7am one morning in December, this caused me to question if I really should be putting such a lovely palm through an ordeal of such cold temperatures and the following spring I decided to take the palms life, for fear it ever got as cold again. Unfortunately I forgot to ever take any photographs of my Roystonea, but trust me is was a beauty. I used the space that became available to plant a Veitchia, which still graces my garden to this day.

On Apr 14, 2012, SuburbanNinja80 from Plainfield, IN (Zone 6a) wrote:

I Maybe Haveing this Palm Comeing my way so Who Knows It maybe a good House Palm also.

On Jul 29, 2011, Jungleman from Pasadena, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Beautiful Palm. At first, I thought these were King Palms, as they are becoming common in Southern California, but while at the Santa Anita Mall in Arcadia, CA (next to the Los Angeles County Arboretum), I discerned that they were Roystoneas. They were very large when planted, so I agree with Palmbob that they are most likely grown at the coast until they are hardy enough to plant inland. Arcadia is USDA Zone 9a, Sunset Zone 20. If I could afford to have one planted with 6 feet of trunk, I would. Very tropical.

On Feb 2, 2010, floridatropic from Palm Bay, FL wrote:

this plant is alot more hardy than it says it survived 26 degrees and most coconut palms did too. thls winter was very abnormal. from palm bay

On Jan 8, 2009, BayAreaTropics from Hayward, CA wrote:

I have just planted a number of Florida royal palm seeds on New Years day 09. I just dont see why they wouldn't grow in the southbay. Our winter nights don't reach into the 20's rarely do we have a 32F,and even a year or two can go by without frost. Summers are 75-85F degrees. How fast the Florida Royal will grow is the question.

On Sep 9, 2007, JD_Rainwater from Miami, FL wrote:

I have grown royal palms with easy success on my land in the Yucatan Peninsula - both in Quintana Roo on the beach in Tulum and also in Yucatan at my place in the jungle near the town of Valladolid. Many nurseries have them available and they are increasingly being used as parkway trees - just visit Playa del Carmen or Tulum. It is difficult however to source fertilizer thereabouts. I have found only 17-17-17 available from verteranary supplies. That seems to be the place to buy growing supplies - nurseries may sell from their own supplies but many are reluctant to do so. Also have grown many other palms easilly: pritchardia, carpentaria, licuala, hyophorbe and others. Hey, they love the tropics!

On May 20, 2007, tropicsofohio from Hilliard, OH (Zone 6b) wrote:

beautifull palm, i see these growing every where when we vist south florida. (not exactly a common sight in ohio, if u know what i mean) the only down side is that its under planted, so if u can afford it, plant it :)

On Dec 9, 2006, billowen from Port Charlotte, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

This is one of my favorite palms, With fertilizer and some watering in the dry season here, my Royal has grown from about three feet to height of fifteen feet in a little over four years, I cannot believe how fast these palms grow.

On Dec 1, 2006, seaboltd350 from Okeechobee
United States wrote:

On Aug 22, 2004, Kylecawaza from Corte Madera, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

IF you have trouble keeping it green, water it more, and give it fertilizer with a lot of manganese potassium and definatley nitrogen. These palms love it, and unfortunatley, southern California does not have the right soil for it, but there are great specimens there as you can see.

On Aug 5, 2004, sonotaps from Phoenix, AZ wrote:

I have a few young Cuban Royals growing around my pool here in NE Phoenix. We have a gigantic one on the south side of the state capital for 20 years that is nice and fat and looks incredible. Love the green crownshaft. Here in Phoenix I do need to protect them in the winter on occasion, but since they are hardy to 28 degrees that really isn't very often.

Surprisingly, they take our sun very well from my experience. A little fading on the fronds but nothing earthshattering. What a wonderful alternative to Queen Palms here in Phoenix but they get REALLY big eventually so that must be considered when planting. Give them lots of water with small monthly fertilizing in the warm months and they reward you with fast new spear growth. They revel in heat.

On Jul 26, 2004, IslandJim from Keizer, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

Nice palm. But the Cuban royal is far more interesting. Bowl-like base, which is a big part of any royal's beauty.

On Jul 26, 2004, NativePlantFan9 from Boca Raton, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

So far the Royal Palm I have in my front yard is growing well. At first I thought we were going to have to replace it because it looked very much like it was dying (the fronds were brown and shriveled, and new shoots kept turning yellow and brown on the leaf tips; there were also white blotches on the base of the fronds) but after we cut off all the fronds except the newest shoot that was coming in it recovered. Now we water it most of the time every day which keeps it green and fresh; I think if we stop it might get hurt. We hav'nt watered it recently but it is still growing nicely, with shoots coming in quickly; all the new leaves are now green!

The Florida Royal Palm is native to the cypress swamps, tropical hardwood hammocks, keys, sloughs, and ... read more

On Mar 29, 2004, timlight wrote:

I dont think one could find a more beautiful palm tree, they are just simply striking, my Grandparents live in Bonita Springs Florida, and Royal Palms line the Boulivards of the cities down there.

On Mar 27, 2004, soundsgood from Whittier, CA wrote:

I have one in Los Angeles County, and it has not trunked yet but I am having trouble keeping a healthy green color to it.

On Aug 30, 2003, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

The true species name for this palm is actually Roystonea regia - R. elata is a defunct synonym. This is also turning out to be a great street palm in warmer areas of Southern California, though getting it to the 'hardy' size requires an excellent climate. Usually they are grown up large in San Diego County, and then moved north when they have several feet of trunk at least. They tend to move pretty well for large palms.

These are truly heat loving palms. They can survive in climates that are cooler, but they rarely do very well. They love humidity, too, but surprisingly seem to do pretty well in the desert climates (thanks to the high heat) though at risk of looking bad if dry winds kick up, or a cold snap hits. These palms really do best in hot, humid... read more

On Oct 12, 2001, Floridian from Lutz, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

The Florida Royal Palm is native to the cypress swamps of south Florida. They are not particular about soil. They like full sun and plenty of water to look their best. At home in cypress swamps, the Florida Royal Palm tolerates occasional flooding. It can survive cold spells down to 28 F if short in duration. There is not a more impressive palm with which to line a boulevard. The beautiful Royal is readily available in areas where it can be grown. With a little care (water and fertilizer) this palm will reward with fast growth that is rare for a palm. Being tolerant of salt drift, Royal Palms will grow near salt water and on the beach if set back from the first line of dunes.