Loblolly Pine, Southern Yellow Pine, Arkansas Pine, North Carolina Pine, Oldfield Pine
Pinus taeda

Family: Pinaceae (py-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Pinus (PY-nus) (Info)
Species: taeda (TAY-duh) (Info)

Conifers

over 40 ft. (12 m)

Pollen may cause allergic reaction

Cream/Tan

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Atmore, Alabama

Elgin, Texas

La Vernia, Texas

New Caney, Texas

Santa Fe, Texas

Spring, Texas (2 reports)

Village Mills, Texas

Bristol, Virginia

Richmond, Virginia

Suffolk, Virginia

Waverly, Virginia

On Dec 5, 2013, Rickwebb from Downingtown, PA wrote:

I see this fast growing pine when driving through Delaware. It starts growing wild maybe about 10 miles south of Wilmington, DE. Wonderful tree, that I don't understand why regular nurseries don't seem to grow it in Delaware for sale. There might be some. They will grow Eastern White Pine, Douglasfir, Colorado Spruce, Norway Spruce, Serbian Spruce, and Leyland Cypress; why not this wonderful native?

On May 21, 2013, h9kr4jg8ir5 from Spring, TX wrote:

Nearly 50% of the tall trees in my area of Eastern Texas are Loblolly Pines. I have a handful of mature ones on my property. In areas of my yard where I've stopped raking, I've noticed a lot of seedlings sprouting up. I've been letting the little ones grow and they're growing rapidly. They don't seem to mind waterlogged soil or clay soil. But they do seem to need sunshine. They're the only real evergreen in this area, although our winter is only a couple months long. The yellow pollen is unbearable around here every spring.

On Jun 13, 2012, SuburbanNinja80 from Plainfield, IN (Zone 6a) wrote:

There is Something I love about this Pine. Maybe its Non Native to the Midwest, like the white Pine is. Other reasons. I have 4 of these in pots right now well Bare root One of them am going to Plant in the Ground. I hope it Does well in Indiana.

Well your self a faover when you buy young trees grow them in pots before planting them in the ground. Keep them in the house for a few weeks.

On Jul 25, 2010, tennesseestorm from Bristol, TN wrote:

I have about 10 of these planted on my property that I planted about 6 years ago from seedings. ALL have thrived and are doing excellent. They are native to the area, so that was to be expected. Though not as common around here as the often seen White pine, its the second most popular pine here in northeast Tennessee and southwest Virginia. They are especially popular along I-81 and along 11W between Kingsport and Bristol and in Church Hill where they are seen in stands. I love mine. I did have a problem with those worms on one this year, but I took the water hose and got them all off... thankfully before they caused too much damage... they had already eaten all of the needles off of one branch!

On Apr 17, 2010, JAnnetteW from Philadelphia, MS wrote:

Overall I like pine trees. Even the funky greenish yellow pollen does not bother me too much. So I rated them positively. I did not know that they were called Loblolly until I started searching the internet to find out something about them. We have pine trees everywhere in Neshoba County, Mississippi and we are in the dead center of all the maps that show where these pines are grown. Therefore, I suppose that is what I have growing all over the northern half of my property and are in the surrounding neighborhood properties.

Mississippi has a long history as being the most impoverished state in the country. Arkansas keeps us plenty of good company. Years ago I was told that Mississippi did not lead the nation in much, but the state did lead the nation in tree farms. I do not... read more

On Nov 28, 2009, RonDEZone7a from Wilmington, DE (Zone 7a) wrote:

Loblolly Pines do very well in Wilmington, Delaware (Zone 7a), where we are only 10 - 15 miles north of their native range, which in Delaware starts in the southern half of New Castle County. Loblolly Pines produce a light shade and so are great for growing acidic soil plants underneath, like azaleas, camellias, and gardenias. This pine grows very quickly. I planted several 2 foot specimens and in 5 years, they were all around 15 feet in height. If growing these north of their normal range, try to get loblollies from a more northerly source - these will be hardier to the cold and more resilient to ice and snow. They grow in sandy soil as well as clay. I suspect they are more root firm in clay soil. We have some very tall older specimens in this area that obviously have lived through... read more

On May 8, 2009, dghornock from bear (glasgow), DE (Zone 7b) wrote:

We own several at our home in SE PA and several more at our seasonal home near Dover DE. They are beautiful trees but snow and ice are somewhat of an issue at our PA home (but most are growing fairly straight. They do require a good mulching for the winter N of Baltimore or Wilmington DE.

On Sep 24, 2007, gooley from Hawthorne, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

In many places in north peninsular Florida, this has become the dominant species unless slash pine has been planted or preserved in native stands. This is because fire is part of the ecosystem here, yet fire has been suppressed. Loblolly pines resist fire poorly both as juveniles and adults: if controlled burns or natural fires recur in an area, the fire-resisting slash pine will dominate. They seem to out-compete slash pine when fire is suppressed, and as far as I can tell can endure waterlogged soil better than can slash pines. A lot of the big pines in towns such as Gainesville are of this species, and for just that reason. It doesn't really belong here in such numbers. The twenty-footers on my land seem prone to storm damage, weak limbs, "swallowing" of unfallen cones into limbs ... read more

On Jan 29, 2005, escambiaguy from Atmore, AL (Zone 8b) wrote:

Loblolly pine is very common where I live and I have a few of them. These are best when grown in the open where they can have a lower stance and thicker trunk. When they are tall and slender they are prone to stem breakage. Loblolly pines are also very susceptible to southern pine beetles which has killed lots of trees here. Longleaf pine (Pinus palustris) is a much better choice.

On Jan 27, 2005, melody from Benton, KY (Zone 7a) wrote:

One of the most common pines in the south. The needles are 6" to 9" long with 3 to a cluster. Basal needle sheaths are 7/16" to 11/16" long. Half inch branches snap cleanly when sharply bent. Twigs are about 1/4" in diameter. Trunk sprouts are lacking.

Cones are 3" to 6" long and old cones often remain on the tree.Cone scales are 3/8" to 1/2' wide, brown tipped or plain inside, with 1/16" to 1/8" thorns outside.

Cones are very prickly when handled and gloves are reccomended.

Trunk bark is blackish, forming plates that have an orange tinge.

Common in old fields and wet sites.

As said above, this is an extremely important lumber tree for the US, the construction industry depends upon this tree in a huge way.

On Nov 13, 2004, TREEHUGR from Now in Orlando, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Harlyangel, what you have on your property is most likely the very common Florida Slash Pine (Pinus Eliotti)

I don't know what gives with the hardiness rating into the 9's and 10's but I haven't been able to get the lobs to work here in 9b with this soil.

Some alternatives though if you are in the coastal areas of Florida and like that short needle look, Sand Pines look similar although don't grow as fast or as tall.

The Lobs create a virtual dust bowl of pollen in the spring in some areas blanketing cars and homes. For a lower pollen alternative try the Slash Pine. Strangely enough whenever the pollen came back in GA, I actually was able to breathe through both nostrils. Strange.

On Oct 11, 2004, nick89 from Tallahassee, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

The most common pine in north Alabama. They seem to be everywhere!
They are planted as ornamentals, and for timber and pulpwood. A good pine to plant if you live in the South.

On Jul 21, 2004, harleyangel from Loxahatchee, FL wrote:

It looks like the same kind of pine on our property, and we are in south florida...Loxahatchee, which is west of West Palm Beach FL. Any ideas on what kind of care these need?

On Jul 1, 2004, chicochi3 from Fayetteville, AR (Zone 6b) wrote:

This tree is the center of the Arkansas timber industry. Usually these trees are cut when they are about 14 years old. They are a fast growing tree that does well in the South. They are easily broken by ice accumulation, so probably would not be recommended where snow and ice are a problem.

On Apr 30, 2004, nnnnnn from Miramar Beach, FL wrote:

This tree is one of the United States most valuable resources and a very large portion of the U.S. is built with it. BTW, its range extends all the way down into northern South America and very similar varieties are found througout the world.

On Apr 30, 2004, shawnkilpatrick from Yucca Valley, CA wrote:

I planted a Loblolly pine seedling in Yucca Valley, April 2004. I brought it over from Misissippi in August 2003 and over-wintered it in a one gallon pot before planting it. During the time it was in the pot, it continued to grow! I have no doubt it will be successful in the high desert areas of Southern California. I will post the tree's progress.

On Dec 6, 2002, bounkey wrote:

This is a very vigorous growing tree. However, it cannot take heavy snow or ice as branches will snap off quite easily. During ice storms small trees will bend to the point where their tops are on the ground....generally they will recover. This is not a tree that you would want to plant in the northern parts of the USA. Realistically, no further north than southern Virginia. In the South, however, it is a very easy tree and does well during extended droughts as well during our normally hot and wet summers. Only pine I would recommend for use in the South above the Loblolly is the Long Leaf Pine.

On Oct 12, 2001, Floridian from Lutz, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

The loblolly pine is the mainstay of America's multi-billion dollar forest industry. Georgia has the largest commercial forest in the United States (nearly 24 million acres), and a huge portion of it consists of loblolly pines.

The tree's sun-loving, fast growing character and its ability to adapt to eroded soils make it an ideal "crop" tree. Its wood is great for products ranging from house floor joists to baby diapers.

The native range of loblolly pine extends through 14 States from southern New Jersey south to central Florida and west to eastern Texas.

This evergreen coniferous tree grows to 110 ft tall and 3 ft in diameter with long straight trunk and dense rounded crown. The bark is blackish and scaly on small trees to bright red-brown on l... read more