Yellow Eyed Grass, Satin Flower

Sisyrinchium striatum

Family: Iridaceae (eye-rid-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Sisyrinchium (sis-ee-RINK-ee-um) (Info)
Species: striatum (stree-AH-tum) (Info)

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Walnut Creek, California

Baltimore, Maryland

East Tawas, Michigan

Clatskanie, Oregon

Dallas, Oregon

Fate, Texas

Princeton, Texas

Bellingham, Washington (3 reports)

Chimacum, Washington

Geneva, Washington

Langley, Washington

Olympia, Washington

Vancouver, Washington

On Sep 14, 2011, bejoy2 from Olympia, WA wrote:

The plant usually grows well for me, but did not overwinter last year. I got a new clump from a friend, and started dividing it up, but some of the fans won't stand up when I plant them at the soil level of the original clump. I am beset with questions which the internet does not help answer: How deep should I plant the fans? Can I cut a large fan in half, and do I need to let it callous before planting? Can I use chicken grit or gravel on the soil surface to help the fans stand up without planting it too deeply? Will the fans with flower stalks also grow, or should I just compost them? Any other advice would be appreciated.

On Jun 28, 2006, Joy from Kalama, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This plant self sows very freely. Sometimes too much. Luckily it's easy to remove any you don't want.
Does well in dry areas.

On Jun 20, 2006, somermoone from Las Vegas, NV (Zone 8a) wrote:

this particular plant is doing well, non attended in a more shady area. It's quite lovely.
Bellingham, Washington

On Mar 9, 2005, saya from Heerlen
Netherlands (Zone 8b) wrote:

Keeps its foliage during winter in my garden...lovely sunloving can take some frosts at least to -8C overhere.

On Nov 29, 2004, Ursula from Santiago
Chile (Zone 9b) wrote:

Chilean native herbaceous perennial (rhizome) that can be found on moist locations, at full sun. This plant can reach 1 m height and is a proliferous re-seeder.

Main requirements: full sun and good drainage. Some permanent moisture is desireable. This plant is valued as well for foliage as for its flowers.

Propagation from seeds: stratified sowing during Autumn in a mix of equal parts of compost, regular garden soil and river sand. Transplant once the plantil reaches 5 cm (2"). This plant will bloom first year from seeds. It can also be propagated dividing its rhizoms.

Recommended for borders, to naturalize on a meadow, in flower beds, pots, containers and balconies. Can be used as cut flower.