Orange Ball Tree

Buddleja globosa

Family: Buddlejaceae
Genus: Buddleja (BUD-lee-uh) (Info)
Species: globosa (glo-BOH-suh) (Info)

Sacramento, California

Lineville, Iowa

Chilmark, Massachusetts

Santa Fe, Texas

On Jun 21, 2013, stephenp from Wirral, UK, Zone 9a
United Kingdom (Zone 9a) wrote:

Beautiful exotic looking flowers, it's a departure from Buddleja davidii which is, I think, ugly compared to this plant.

Here it self seeds quite profusely, it likes our climate, and has made it into the nearby heathland/woodland fringe area.

I imagine it's a welcome 'weed' though, as it's very popular with bees and other pollinators.

Leaf hardiness, probably around -12C, plant hardiness, -15C to -20C.

On Apr 24, 2011, 77sunset from Merino
Australia wrote:

I have 2 growing and one must be a seedling as I only ever planted the one cutting. Mine is over 10 feet tall because I never cut it. It lives right next to a large weeping willow so you can see it needs little water . I never water it . It was a small cutting 9 years ago, planted straight into the ground. Very hardy here in the far south eastern Australia. Clay soil . Hardly ever without a flower.

On Jul 11, 2008, fairysusan from Banffshire
United Kingdom wrote:

I have several of these shrubs growing well here in the North East of Scotland. My garden is very exposed, but they take our fierce (& frequent) winds in their stride- hurricane force 80mph+ with gusts at times reaching 112mph. Being only around 5 miles from the sea, we do not usually experience intense cold (rarely below -5 deg.c but occasionally -15) but even in our worst `freeze-ups' my globosas rarely lose any foliage, & never all of it. All mine came from one `mother plant' at my last home in Caithness. My mother in law
took a cutting which grew successfully in her garden in Orkney. She took a cutting off that one before moving here
near us in Banffshire from whence all the rest came... My best
one is now a 9ftx9ft beauty densely leafed & smothered in flowers, o... read more

On Mar 16, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

AKA Golden Ball Butterfly Bush.

On Jan 10, 2005, Mogheller from Berlin
Germany wrote:

This plant has a very nice flower and its more hardy than thought.
i live in Germany in a 7a zone, but in my parents garten its 8a, with temperatures down to -10C in most winters and B. globosa is 2 meters , since 4 years outside and no problems .

On Aug 4, 2004, Ursula from Santiago
Chile (Zone 9b) wrote:

This shrub is native to Chile, where it is known as "Matico" and used as medicine. Fresh or dry leaves herbal tea is used by ulcera patients, as well as to aid digestion. Cold tea is used to disinfect superficial wounds and burnings (also as a compress).

On Jun 15, 2004, claireh from durham
United Kingdom wrote:

I note it's said not to be hardy (someone said, min 27F). I'm in the North of England, and this last winter we had the usual couple of weeks of well below freezing - this time with a foot of snow as well. Mine survived very well (and looked very pretty with the snow on it).

On Jul 17, 2002, davidmcewan from glasgow
United Kingdom wrote:

Mine grows to about six feet. The orange ball blooms smell of honey, watch out for bees sleeping on them.In full bloom now.

On Oct 15, 2001, Baa wrote:

A shrub from Argentina.

Has dark green, lance shaped, slightly hairy leaves, it may be semi evergreen in some gardens but tends to be deciduous. Bears small, round, clustered, orange or yellow flower heads.

Flowers July-October

Like a well drained, poorish soil in a warm sunny position. It isn't very hardy and the minimum temperature is about 23F.

Prune back flowering shoots but don't cut hard back like you would for B. davidii.