PlantFiles: Dahlberg Daisy, Golden Fleece, Tiny Tim Bristle-Leaf Dyssodia, Bristleleaf, Pricklyleaf, Dogweed, Fe
Thymophylla tenuiloba

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Thymophylla (ty-mo-FIL-uh) (Info)
Species: tenuiloba (ten-yoo-ee-LOW-buh) (Info)

Synonym:Dyssodia tenuiloba
Synonym:Dyssodia tenuiloba var. tenuiloba
Synonym:Thymophylla tenuiloba var. tenuiloba

Not Applicable

Seed is poisonous if ingested
Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling
Pollen may cause allergic reaction

Aromatic

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

By ocimum_nate

Thumbnail #6 of Thymophylla tenuiloba by htop

By DaleTheGardener
Thumbnail #7 of Thymophylla tenuiloba by DaleTheGardener

Positive Kasey0000 On May 16, 2012, Kasey0000 from Pahrump, NV wrote:

I love this little flower. Love the fern like foliage and flowers looking like they are floating on air. I am very lucky it wintered over very well here. I get blooms during our very hot summers as well as spring and fall.

Positive ny_native2 On Aug 17, 2009, ny_native2 from Ithaca, NY wrote:

I have grown Thymophylla tenuiloba as an annual in NY & NJ. It is very hard to find in nurseries, and my luck with seed is mixed. It self-sows at the edges of hot driveways and very dry lousy soil in pots or flagstone patios. Never volunteers in better soils, but it will happily flower in regular garden soil. Never a thug here. I totally do not understand the comment about thorns and extreme caution when handling. In 15 years of growing this I have never seen anything but soft, fragrant foliage with no dermatitis.

Positive SusieSunflower On May 27, 2009, SusieSunflower from Wichita, KS (Zone 6a) wrote:

I, too, love this little plant and small flower. I've had it for a number of years and it never fails to give me enough seedlings to choose from the following Spring. I wait until the seedlings are large enough to form the first bud and to handle, then move 3 of them to a favorite spot for them to produce a maximum show during the summer months. Some years produce more seedlings than other years, but never enough to be objectionable. They are so tiny that I just pull the extras along with the crabgrass seedlings & other Spring weeds.

I've found it to be an excellent "filler" plant in sunny spots between shorter perennials that bloom only once during the summer.

In the fall after a hard frost, I turn the remainder of the plants upside-down and rather harshly brush them over the ground to make sure they leave some seeds for next year, then trust Mother Nature to "do her thing" with them.

But where on earth did this notation about it come from?
< Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling. >
The thin little stems & leaves just don't have such things (and there's no doubt that my plants are the same as those shown in the photographs posted here). And "if" they do, then they must be microscopically tiny.

Positive wildeflower On Aug 13, 2008, wildeflower from Monmouth, IL wrote:

I always remember "Dahlberg Daisy" It's hard to find in my area (z5b on the Mississippi river) I'm happy to see the botanical name & synonmyms. I found it last year & had planted it amongst my shade perennials. I was gone from Feb to July 21 and when I started weeding out my garden, I found a little one growing ! I don't know if it came from seed, or overwintered. My guess is it overwintered. I'm really going to be watching this baby - and will try to slip it also.
I remember reading that the seeds are not viable, but I also read above that for some, it reseads readily. I'll see what happens here.

Neutral heironimus On Aug 7, 2008, heironimus from Denison, TX wrote:

Ya'll must be talking about a different Dahlberg Daisy than I have. I love the plant but I've never been able to get it to start from seed. Every year I buy them from our local nursery and collect seeds in hopes of some of them germinating. It is definitely Dahlberg Daisy - but they never germinate and I never have volunteers come up from where they drop their seeds. I would love to be able to grow them from seed. What is ya'll's secret? Does it need stratification? If so, it seems like the seeds dropped would come up the following Spring. Oh, I'm in North Texas - Denison Zone 7 (I think).

Help please.

Linda

Neutral stephanotis On Jun 4, 2008, stephanotis from Queen Creek, AZ (Zone 8b) wrote:

This little plant is cute at first, but spreads through rampant reseeding. The seed heads are similar to dandelion and are carried on the wind, so they come up everywhere. My neighbors that know I have it have ended up cursing my existence because they are constantly having to rip it out of their yards. Most of the seeds drop down under the very dense mat of fern like foliage, and so reseed heavily in the original place they were planted. Once you have it, it's nearly impossible to get rid of unless you spray with Roundup or continuously pull the seedlings which come up constantly. The seeds are also very messy when they get on the ground, so I don't recommend this near a swimming pool at all. If you want a groundcover type plant that reliably comes back from seed and covers a huge area, then this is for you, but if you are going to try to keep it confined, good luck!

Positive alddesigns On May 16, 2007, alddesigns from Saint Cloud, FL wrote:

I love this little plant! It is so airy and adds a nice texture to my butterfly garden. I also pinch off the old flowers and drop them on the ground (wanting little volunteers). Mine enjoys the morning sun, but gets a little shade in the late afternoon and that seems to suit nicely here in Central FL. I always feel happy when I see the cute little yellow flowers.

Positive DaleTheGardener On Feb 17, 2007, DaleTheGardener from Tampa, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

Here in near tropical Florida this daisy is a winter annual. I doesn't do well with our humid heat. I still plant it every year in Oct, Nov, when our humidity drops.

Positive Wifeygirl On Jun 10, 2006, Wifeygirl from Fresno, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

This plant is lovely with constant, bright yellow blooms. It does need dead-heading or else it starts looking a little ratty. =)

*Edited to add that this year, this plant has reappeared with tons of little volunteers. They are so cute! I really like this sunny little flower.

Positive meadowgarden On Aug 17, 2005, meadowgarden from Rockford, IL (Zone 4b) wrote:

Great plant. Can tolerate hot locations.

Positive ambercoakley On Aug 16, 2005, ambercoakley from Plano, TX (Zone 7b) wrote:

This annual blooms all summer long until frost. The green foliage is delightfully distinct and airy. It also has a wonderful wildflower scent that attracts honeybees. I only planted them one season because volunteers sprout each spring and through the summer. They will thrive with or without TLC. Though an annual, I can count on seeing them every year!

Positive YardKat On May 7, 2004, YardKat from Gillett, TX wrote:

I started growing Dahlberg daisy 2 yrs ago. I started first with purchased plants & transplanted into hanging baskets. When I pinch the spent flowers off I toss on the ground. Now I have these cute little "volunteer" plants growing all over! Very easy to grow! Although this year I've had trouble with powdery mildew on the ones seed-started in the greenhouse.

Neutral smiln32 On Aug 30, 2001, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Tender Annual. This plant has a low, spreading habit. Feathery foliage and profuse blooms makes this an attractive temporary groundcover or edging plant for the summer border. Can be seeded directly into a bed or container. This annual prefers a sunny spot with good quality, well-drained garden soil.

Positive Terry On Mar 15, 2001, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Divided, thread-like, dark green leaves provide backdrop for sunny yellow flower heads, which resemble miniature marguerites. Use for massed display or pockets of color. Blooms from summer to killing frost. I grew these in terra cotta planters flanking a Western-exposure garage door. Even in hot, windy Oklahoma, these plants did well with minimal care.

Maricopa, Arizona