PlantFiles: Hot Pepper, Jalapeno Pepper
Capsicum annuum 'Jalapeno'

Genus: Capsicum (KAP-sih-kum) (Info)
Species: annuum (AN-yoo-um) (Info)
Cultivar: Jalapeno

» View all varieties of Peppers

Heat (Pungency):
Moderate (1,000 to 5,000 Scoville Units)
Hot (5,000 to 30,000 Scoville Units)

Fruit Shape:
Tapered
Oblong

Fruit Size:
Small (under 2" in length)
Medium (4" to 6" in length)

Fruit Color:

Thumbnail #6 of Capsicum annuum by Suze_

By evr
Thumbnail #7 of Capsicum annuum by evr

Positive Dosetaker On Sep 7, 2012, Dosetaker from Mason, NH (Zone 5b) wrote:

Jalapeno's sold in the stores must always be on the low side for jalapeno heat. The ones I grow are head and shoulders hotter than jalapeno bought at a supermarket. Love these things with their nice heat and exceptional flavor.

Positive amorphis On Aug 2, 2010, amorphis from Winooski, VT wrote:

I stuck a few jalapeno plants into a freshly broken garden and they are doing very well. With mixed 14-14-14 pellet and 12-4-8 "green juice" fertilization they are producing quite well. 1 Aug is still a bit early for picking but this spring has been wetter than usual (Champlain Valley, Vermont).

Definitely a repeat for next year, especially after some formal soil testing.

Positive jrounles On Jul 12, 2010, jrounles from Sebastian, FL wrote:

I have grown this pepper two summers in a row in central Florida and have had wonderful production from two plants. I was actually wondering if this plant is a year round crop in Florida because I'd love to keep them around all year and as the summer season is ending in Florida I need to know whether or not I should remove them when the season is over, or keep them through fall and winter. I was also wondering if the heat intensity of the peppers goes down from the hotter months in summer to the cooler months of the fall.

Positive ringbearer31 On Oct 23, 2009, ringbearer31 from Pittsford, NY wrote:

My friend gows these and they are verry nice.

Positive greenbrain On Sep 29, 2009, greenbrain from Madison, IL (Zone 6b) wrote:

Just a few plants keep us in more jalapeno poppers than we can wolf down. Low maintenance & prolific, it's also OP, so you can save the seeds.

Positive WillowWasp On Jul 5, 2009, WillowWasp from Jones Creek, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I grow lots of Jalapeno's in the summer and grind them up to use in salsa's or cooking all year. They are the best.

Positive jessums On Jun 14, 2008, jessums from Pittsburgh, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

One of the most useful hot peppers. Medium heat allows for use in a lot of varied dishes. Always have a couple of these plants in my garden.

Tip for northern gardeners: I always take the smallest jalapeno plant and pot it for inside growth. I have gotten Jalapeno's until February from some of the plants I have brought in from the cold.

Positive Breezymeadow On Nov 21, 2005, Breezymeadow from Culpeper, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

Definitely one of my favorite hot peppers to grow here in Virginia, as regardless of weather conditions they always produce heavily. By the end of the growing season, the usually 2-foot tall plants are still bent down by the weight of the crop - some red; some green.

Fruits freeze beautifully - just rinse & dry whole, toss in a Ziplock bag, & into the freezer. When ready to use (in virtually any recipe calling for hot peppers), simply remove from bag, rinse a few seconds under running, water, stem, seed & chop as required. Extremely easy to work with while still semi-frozen, & does retain some texture after freezing.

This pepper is a must-have in my garden every year.

Positive admodeva On Nov 20, 2005, admodeva from Dutton, AL (Zone 7a) wrote:

We've grown these several years running in our garden and my husband loves them. They're easy to grow and produce tons of peppers on one bushy plant.

Positive Love2Troll On Feb 10, 2005, Love2Troll from (Zone 5b) wrote:

"Corking" is natural to some jal varieties. Considered desirable in Mexico, but not so much in the USA markets.

Positive melody On Jan 25, 2005, melody from Benton, KY (Zone 7a) wrote:

Jalapenos are a great all around hot pepper. They can be used for about any thing a hot pepper can be.

I have encountered a wide range of heat levels in Jalapenos too...sometimes on the same plant and in the same season. The amount of stress the plant encounters seems to contribute to the pepper heat.

I guess because these peppers tend to be in the lower end of the heat spectrum in my garden (I grow many which are much hotter) I tend to let my guard down when using them...sometimes I get surprised at the amount of fire they contain.

Large bushy plants produce a huge amount of fruit. A great plant and pepper for the beginning 'chili head'.

Positive Farmerdill On Oct 5, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

75 days. Dark green, medium-hot, thick-walled peppers 3" long, 1" wide, with rounded tips. Matures to dark red. It is a somewhat generic cultivar but it grows well and duplicates the taste and size of the grocery store jalapenos.

Positive Leebay On Mar 13, 2004, Leebay from Patterson, NY wrote:

There are many varieties of Jalapeno from the mild Jalapa I've grown to Biker Billy's great heat count. We eat them with Cheese and crackers all summer long right from the bush. Although conventional science says that Jalapenos have about a 10,000 scoville count, I would contend that the Biker Billy variety must be 20,000 to 25,000, because it is HOT!

Neutral Monocromatico On Jan 26, 2004, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

This is one of the tallest species of pepper plants, reaching up to the heigh of an average man. Itīs planted commercially, but is rarely seen on yards. Actually, despite the bright red peppers (fairly big ones), the plantīs overall look isnīt really interesting.

Neutral Gothica On Jun 11, 2003, Gothica wrote:

I planted 2 of these this year because my fiancee loves peppers. So far they have grown to a decent height. I have not seen any blooms yet. Also one of the two is a lighter shade of green. I think it may be sick. If you have any growing tips I definitely need them! Ha! Ha!

Dutton, Alabama
Mobile, Alabama
Chandler, Arizona
Brea, California
Ceres, California
Chico, California
Clovis, California
Irvine, California
Los Angeles, California (2 reports)
Montague, California
Oceanside, California
Palm Springs, California
Rocklin, California
Seal Beach, California
Colchester, Connecticut
Jacksonville Beach, Florida
Palm Coast, Florida (2 reports)
Sebastian, Florida
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Jonesville, South Carolina
Clarksville, Tennessee
Corpus Christi, Texas
Fort Worth, Texas (2 reports)
Freeport, Texas