Giant Fleeceflower, White Fleece Flower, White Dragon
Persicaria polymorpha

Family: Polygonaceae
Genus: Persicaria (per-sih-KAR-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: polymorpha (pol-ee-MOR-fuh) (Info)
Synonym:Polygonum polymorphum

East Port Orchard, Washington

River Falls, Wisconsin

negative

On Feb 1, 2015, noseykate from SOUTH WEYMOUTH, MA wrote:

Have grown a clump of 2 of these plants for 3 years now. Absolutely well-behaved, non-spreading. They fill a corner of the fencerow, getting about 6' tall and quite bushy. Covered with blooms which bees and butterflies love - beware, the flowers are a bit stinky - I wouldn't plant them close to a deck or other sitting area. The white flowers do turn browner toward summer's end, but to me this is not off-putting. They are a wonderful way to fill space quickly and require no special care.

On Feb 18, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

This perennial is a well-behaved, long-lived clump-former, though anyone planting it should be prepared for its size---mature plants usually get at least 6' high. Top growth may reach 8' across, but it doesn't require support in full sun.

It looks alarmingly like some closely related invasive plants (especially Japanese knotweed), but it doesn't invade natural areas and it doesn't spread beyond its usual clump size in the garden. Anyone with a plant sending up shoots 6 feet beyond the clump has a mislabeled plant.

It does have a very long summer season of bloom, and it looks good in its first flush of bloom, but I'm not as enthusiastic about this plant as many gardeners. Perhaps if I were willing to deadhead its spent flowers, I'd be more susceptible to its ch... read more

On Jun 13, 2013, MarkPatton from Calgary

This grows very well in Zone3 in Calgary. I have had my clump for 8 years and it has just now begun to spread at a greater rate. Prior to this year, the clump simply became wider and wider. Now, it is sending shoots 6 and 7 feet away from the mother plant. I am a bit surprised by this, but the shoots are easily uprooted. Love this plant, but can understand the concern in more temperate climates.

On Sep 2, 2012, arthurb3 from Raleigh, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

Not aggressive at all but does grow large so plant it in a location with space. A wonder full plant! Arthur in the Garden!

On May 15, 2012, patsyrose from welland, ON (Zone 5b) wrote:

I just read all about this plant at http://www.overplanted.com
I bought my plant in 2006 and was amazed at its size, energy and attractiveness. It shares space with a Red Osier Dogwood, three varieties of grasses, Golden Ninebark and Diablo Ninebark, a low-growing Rhodendron and some yellow Daylilies.
This year, for the first time I have at least 5 offshoots, and I'm looking forward to transplanting them. I have to do some serious research on how to go about that.
P

On Jul 17, 2008, mdeano from Monticello, MN (Zone 4b) wrote:

This plant has grown very successfully in my zone 4 garden on the north side of my home in almost complete shade. It has grown larger but not moved from it's own clump. Very beautiful. I am planning on dividing the clump this fall and spreading it out along the whole wall. Flowers last for almost a month!

On May 3, 2008, runningdeer from River Falls, WI wrote:

This plant is an awesome performer in my garden. I have it in the back of the garden in part sun/ part shade with a large evergreen as a backdrop. It grows to about 5 feet in height and about 5 feet in width. I have day lilies at the base of this plant but I must move them this year because I am unable to see them very well because the girth of this plant.

It's very fun to watch this plant take shape because I swear it grows at least 5 inches a day!

On Oct 8, 2007, reinbeau from Hanson, MA (Zone 6a) wrote:

My mother has this in her zone 6a garden three miles from me, and it is a beauty! It behaves itself, hasn't propogated itself beyond the clump it's growing in, and is a wonderful backdrop plant planted against her retaining wall.

On Feb 20, 2006, rcn48 from Lexington, VA (Zone 6a) wrote:

Bold landscape plant with a shrub-like habit - excellent for a back border. Wonderful textured leaves with giant fluffy white astilbe-like blooms in early summer. One of Wolfgang Oehme's favorite plants!

On Feb 19, 2006, mountaindog from Phoenicia, NY (Zone 5a) wrote:

While this species of Persicaria is not the highly invasive Japanese Knotweed, it is related (see "Polygonum cuspidatum" in this database, previous scientific names of JP also include Polygonum sieboldii, Polygonum japonicum, Polygonum zuccharini Small, Pleuropterus zuccarinii, Polygonum reynoutria (in USA horticulture trade)).

Persicaria polymorpha is a clump-forming, apparently non-invasive cultivar that is highly ornamental, however, I've changed my opinion on Persicaria since I first obtained the plants a few years ago. I was surprised at how large and spread-out my Persicaria plants grew after the first year, to the point where it was a bit alarming. I suspect that they could regenerate very easliy from roots spreading, and since they are not a native American plant, an... read more