Ceanothus, New Jersey Tea 'Gloire de Versailles'

Ceanothus x delilianus

Family: Rhamnaceae
Genus: Ceanothus (see-an-OH-thus) (Info)
Species: x delilianus (de-lee-lay-AH-nus) (Info)
Cultivar: Gloire de Versailles

Southbury, Connecticut

Roslindale, Massachusetts

Tullahoma, Tennessee

On Mar 13, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

This hybrid cultivar has been healthy and long-lived here in Boston Z6a, at least in full sun and well-drained soils. (Well drained soil in winter is essential.)

I'm beginning to wonder if there isn't more than one plant in cultivation under this name. I see photographs of vividly blue flowers, yet the plant I know has pale flowers whose anemic color is often described as powder blue but seems closer to steel gray. It also stays in bloom for only about two weeks. I've never observed any ornamental fruit or fall color.

There are other Ceanothus x delilianus cultivars I'm eager to try out. But this one was a disappointment.

On Oct 6, 2011, Morganics from Tullahoma, TN wrote:

Why this plant is so rare in the trade I'll never know. Uniform in habit (6' tall x 5' wide), my specimen blooms from spring until frost, pest-free. Bees and butterflies love it. It requires no dead-heading or any other maintenance. The nonstop profusion of pale lavender blooms contrasts beautifully with the rosy bundles of berries (they look like little raspberries) and dark green leaves - which take on a burgundy tint in late fall. My plant has been content like this for 6 years, even surviving a transplant without complaint. If you can provide 6 hours or more full sun and rich garden soil you will be similarly rewarded. It's a great specimen in the mixed border, but I contend that it would also make an outstanding deciduous hedge.