Globe Amaranth, Gomphrena

Gomphrena globosa

Family: Amaranthaceae
Genus: Gomphrena (gom-FREE-nuh) (Info)
Species: globosa (glo-BOH-suh) (Info)

Flowers are good for cutting

Not Applicable

Daphne, Alabama

Denver, Colorado

Bradenton, Florida

Clearwater, Florida (2 reports)

Debary, Florida

Lake City, Florida

Webster, Florida

Weston, Florida

Augusta, Georgia

Brunswick, Georgia

Newnan, Georgia

Valdosta, Georgia (2 reports)

Hampton, Illinois

La Vernia, Texas

Mcallen, Texas

Odessa, Texas

Red Oak, Texas

San Antonio, Texas (2 reports)

Spring Branch, Texas

Sugar Land, Texas

Victoria, Texas

Mc Lean, Virginia

Madison, Wisconsin

On Oct 31, 2014, RetiredGeek from Denison, TX wrote:

Here in N. Central Texas (almost in Oklahoma) my Gomphrena perpetua are growing quite well. They have been providing steady blooms since planted last spring and it is now October 31st. As mentioned earlier, they seem to do well even if the soil is not the best. Because we never quit know how many 3-digit temperature days we will get my Gomphrena perpetua are planted where they get good morning to mid-day sun and have shade from a big oak tree during the hotter part of the day.

On Sep 29, 2014, liz2525 from Canandaigua, NY wrote:

Hello, these are beautiful and very interesting. One of my planters with these plants in it Is growing small dark yellow daisies! How is this possible? the petals are rounded so the are a little different than the average Daisies, but... very cute.

On Aug 28, 2013, Limestonelin from SPRING BRANCH, TX wrote:

Love 'em, they reseed in full sun, crummy soil!!!

On Oct 26, 2009, klw414 from Newnan, GA wrote:

These were beautiful in my Newnan, GA garden this year. I found them at a local nursery and planted them with vinca and petunias. The got much larger than I expected and required little additional water, even during a very long dry spell earlier in the summer. I will try to gather seeds to plant for next year and use them in more places in my yard.

On Oct 25, 2009, gamgam from Collierville, TN wrote:

I love the plant, but want to collect seeds for next year. What do the seeds look like? I have grown many varieties of amaranth, all having tiny black seeds. I've harvested the dried flowers of the globe. and am getting no seeds like I've collected from the other varieties.

On Jul 21, 2009, tj_1964 from Collingwood, Ontario

Collingwood, Ontario - These Beautiful unique flowers are surviving here. I planted them amongst my new roses which still have to grow. I have the bright pink and the orange/dark rust varieties. They are in triple mix soil (which is a little acidic as it is under our cedar tree but receiving a minimum of 5 hours of light per day. They are doing marvellously and everyone remarks on them as no one has seen them before. They transplant very well and seem to be drought resistant and cold resistant - it's been as cool as 46F at night this year (2009). I am told to let it go to seed in the fall, and plant those seeds this fall.

On Jun 18, 2009, purplegecko4 from Debary, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

I love this plant! It is carefree, drought tolerant, and beautiful. It keeps it's shape and blooms all summer. I have both the purple and pink varieties, and they are one of my favorite plants. Everyone in Florida should try this one.

On Mar 6, 2008, fcwalker from Hadley, NY wrote:

Found 1 six pack last year and planted it in my herb garden to add color around the basil. Not knowing how large it would get, I ended up moving it around to other areas in the garden. It bloomed all through the summer and to frost, sustained well through all weather conditions my region 4-5 could throw at it in my partly shaded yard. This little lovely did so well, I've collected dozens of seeds and am starting my own flat. I agree with others, the purple is my favorite.

On Oct 1, 2007, Anitabryk2 from Long Island, NY (Zone 6b) wrote:

I absolutely loved this plant. It filled in the space very nice and kept up a wonderful display of blooms from July through frost. I was a fantastic cut flower as well.

On Dec 26, 2006, Rainbowman18 from Weston, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

Sorry to say, but I did not have luck growing this particular plant specimen. I see it needs full sun, and maybe my location was a bit too shady for proper growth. I might try to grow it in the future under proper conditions. Does anyone know the best way to propagate this plant?

On Aug 29, 2006, shellabella from West Central, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I first bought these as a fill in until some of the plants in my new beds became larger. These quickly became my little grandaughter's favorite flowers. I have given them little attention . This is our rainy season and I expect to have to water them as needed during the drier months. Where my larger plants have grown these still manage to show themselves quite well . I love the stages of color the blooms have which gives a variation throughout the beds.

On Jul 2, 2006, ShelfLife from Clearwater, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I've found this plant does well either in a container with rich potting soil or in the sandy soil we have here. But while some find it "drought tolerant", I find (in FL) it requires a goodly bit of supplemental water to do well.

On Jan 19, 2006, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

Easy to grow, nice border plant, fairly drought tolerant.

On Jun 1, 2005, Gindee77 from Hampton, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

I like to pot some of these plants for interest around the garden. They come in so many pretty colors, but I love the vibrant purple the best, it looks great in a pot sitting near my yellow roses.

On Nov 15, 2003, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

San Antonio, Tx.
I found that these perform better in poor soil, no fertilizer and regular supplemental water in hot weather. Mulching in hot climates helps also. Until I discovered this, the plants just withered, turned white and died.

Globe amaranth, native to Panama and Guatemala, has attained naturalized status in Hawaii, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Texas, Virgin Islands and Virginia. It is grown as an annual bedding plant attaining a 1-2 feet height and one foot width. It has a bushy habit with branched, stiff and erect stems.The branched stems are erect and stiff and the plant has a bushy appearance. The flowerheads are produced on upright spikes from summer until frost. They are composed of stiff, colorful and... read more

On Nov 15, 2003, suncatcheracres from Old Town, FL wrote:

I tried to grow this unusual annual out by my mailbox in a suburb of Atlanta, Georgia, one Summer, but it died out rather quickly. I bought the plants as a six-pack, in flower, late in the Spring, so they were obviously greenhouse grown. Perhaps they peaked too early, or couldn't stand the transition from a greenhouse to my hot, sunbaked mailbox out by the street and the driveway. The heavy, red clay soil was amended and they got plenty of water--perhaps too much? So they were replaced that Fall by maroon-flowered, perennial mums that did very well out there for several seasons.

I loved the unusual flowers, and I think I will try to grow them again, but from seed this time. I'm really dissatisfied with the greenhouse-grown six packs of pretty annuals offered every Sprin... read more

On Feb 2, 2003, Crimson from Clarksville, TN (Zone 6b) wrote:

Be sure to cut the flowers early, when they have just formed, if you plan on use for a dried flower arrangement... otherwise they tend to fall apart after they dry.

On Mar 16, 2001, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

An easy annual to grow. Bushy plant with round, clover-like flower heads in colors from white, pink, red, lavender or purple. Often planted in the front of the border, or in containers for season-long color.