PlantFiles: Globe Amaranth, Gomphrena
Gomphrena globosa

Family: Amaranthaceae
Genus: Gomphrena (gom-FREE-nuh) (Info)
Species: globosa (glo-BOH-suh) (Info)

Not Applicable

Rose/Mauve
Cream/Tan

Silver/Gray
Blue-Green
Velvet/Fuzzy-Textured

Flowers are good for cutting

By FlowerManiac

By yvana
Thumbnail #6 of Gomphrena globosa by yvana

By Crimson
Thumbnail #7 of Gomphrena globosa by Crimson

Positive Limestonelin On Aug 28, 2013, Limestonelin from SPRING BRANCH, TX wrote:

Love 'em, they reseed in full sun, crummy soil!!!

Positive klw414 On Oct 26, 2009, klw414 from Newnan, GA wrote:

These were beautiful in my Newnan, GA garden this year. I found them at a local nursery and planted them with vinca and petunias. The got much larger than I expected and required little additional water, even during a very long dry spell earlier in the summer. I will try to gather seeds to plant for next year and use them in more places in my yard.

Positive gamgam On Oct 25, 2009, gamgam from Collierville, TN wrote:

I love the plant, but want to collect seeds for next year. What do the seeds look like? I have grown many varieties of amaranth, all having tiny black seeds. I've harvested the dried flowers of the globe. and am getting no seeds like I've collected from the other varieties.

Positive tj_1964 On Jul 21, 2009, tj_1964 from Collingwood, Ontario

Collingwood, Ontario - These Beautiful unique flowers are surviving here. I planted them amongst my new roses which still have to grow. I have the bright pink and the orange/dark rust varieties. They are in triple mix soil (which is a little acidic as it is under our cedar tree but receiving a minimum of 5 hours of light per day. They are doing marvellously and everyone remarks on them as no one has seen them before. They transplant very well and seem to be drought resistant and cold resistant - it's been as cool as 46F at night this year (2009). I am told to let it go to seed in the fall, and plant those seeds this fall.

Positive purplegecko4 On Jun 18, 2009, purplegecko4 from Debary, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

I love this plant! It is carefree, drought tolerant, and beautiful. It keeps it's shape and blooms all summer. I have both the purple and pink varieties, and they are one of my favorite plants. Everyone in Florida should try this one.

Positive fcwalker On Mar 6, 2008, fcwalker from Hadley, NY wrote:

Found 1 six pack last year and planted it in my herb garden to add color around the basil. Not knowing how large it would get, I ended up moving it around to other areas in the garden. It bloomed all through the summer and to frost, sustained well through all weather conditions my region 4-5 could throw at it in my partly shaded yard. This little lovely did so well, I've collected dozens of seeds and am starting my own flat. I agree with others, the purple is my favorite.

Positive Anitabryk2 On Oct 1, 2007, Anitabryk2 from Long Island, NY (Zone 6b) wrote:

I absolutely loved this plant. It filled in the space very nice and kept up a wonderful display of blooms from July through frost. I was a fantastic cut flower as well.

Negative Rainbowman18 On Dec 26, 2006, Rainbowman18 from Weston, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

Sorry to say, but I did not have luck growing this particular plant specimen. I see it needs full sun, and maybe my location was a bit too shady for proper growth. I might try to grow it in the future under proper conditions. Does anyone know the best way to propagate this plant?

Positive shellabella On Aug 29, 2006, shellabella from West Central, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I first bought these as a fill in until some of the plants in my new beds became larger. These quickly became my little grandaughter's favorite flowers. I have given them little attention . This is our rainy season and I expect to have to water them as needed during the drier months. Where my larger plants have grown these still manage to show themselves quite well . I love the stages of color the blooms have which gives a variation throughout the beds.

Positive ShelfLife On Jul 2, 2006, ShelfLife from Clearwater, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I've found this plant does well either in a container with rich potting soil or in the sandy soil we have here. But while some find it "drought tolerant", I find (in FL) it requires a goodly bit of supplemental water to do well.

Positive Suze_ On Jan 19, 2006, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

Easy to grow, nice border plant, fairly drought tolerant.

Positive Gindee77 On Jun 1, 2005, Gindee77 from Hampton, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

I like to pot some of these plants for interest around the garden. They come in so many pretty colors, but I love the vibrant purple the best, it looks great in a pot sitting near my yellow roses.

Positive htop On Nov 15, 2003, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

San Antonio, Tx.
I found that these perform better in poor soil, no fertilizer and regular supplemental water in hot weather. Mulching in hot climates helps also. Until I discovered this, the plants just withered, turned white and died.

Globe amaranth, native to Panama and Guatemala, has attained naturalized status in Hawaii, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Texas, Virgin Islands and Virginia. It is grown as an annual bedding plant attaining a 1-2 feet height and one foot width. It has a bushy habit with branched, stiff and erect stems.The branched stems are erect and stiff and the plant has a bushy appearance. The flowerheads are produced on upright spikes from summer until frost. They are composed of stiff, colorful and papery bracts which are very flashy. The inconspicuous individual flowers within the flowerheads are extremely small, but there are many of them. The globe amaranth is available in shades of white, pink and purple. Butterlies love this plant.

Plant its seeds after soaking them for a day or two in the spring after all danger of frost has past. Plant the seeds close together to force them to produce long stems for flower arrangements and/or dried flower arrangements. The flowerheads are used extensively in dried arrangements and will hold their shape and color indefinitely. Just as the heads are opening, cut them and hang them upside down in a warm, dark place to dry.

Neutral suncatcheracres On Nov 15, 2003, suncatcheracres from Old Town, FL wrote:

I tried to grow this unusual annual out by my mailbox in a suburb of Atlanta, Georgia, one Summer, but it died out rather quickly. I bought the plants as a six-pack, in flower, late in the Spring, so they were obviously greenhouse grown. Perhaps they peaked too early, or couldn't stand the transition from a greenhouse to my hot, sunbaked mailbox out by the street and the driveway. The heavy, red clay soil was amended and they got plenty of water--perhaps too much? So they were replaced that Fall by maroon-flowered, perennial mums that did very well out there for several seasons.

I loved the unusual flowers, and I think I will try to grow them again, but from seed this time. I'm really dissatisfied with the greenhouse-grown six packs of pretty annuals offered every Spring at all the plant nurseries, especially the large garden areas of the discount "big box" stores. They look so beautiful, but rarely do well when brought into the real-world, often quite harsh conditions of a Southern garden.

Neutral Crimson On Feb 2, 2003, Crimson from Clarksville, TN (Zone 6b) wrote:

Be sure to cut the flowers early, when they have just formed, if you plan on use for a dried flower arrangement... otherwise they tend to fall apart after they dry.

Positive Terry On Mar 16, 2001, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

An easy annual to grow. Bushy plant with round, clover-like flower heads in colors from white, pink, red, lavender or purple. Often planted in the front of the border, or in containers for season-long color.

Daphne, Alabama
Denver, Colorado
Bradenton, Florida
Clearwater, Florida (2 reports)
Debary, Florida
Lake City, Florida
Webster, Florida
Weston, Florida
Augusta, Georgia
Brunswick, Georgia
Newnan, Georgia
Valdosta, Georgia (2 reports)
Hampton, Illinois
La Vernia, Texas
Mcallen, Texas
Odessa, Texas
Red Oak, Texas
San Antonio, Texas (2 reports)
Spring Branch, Texas