PlantFiles: Red Squill, Sea Onion, Giant White Squill
Urginea maritima

Family: Liliaceae (lil-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Urginea (ur-GIN-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: maritima (muh-RIT-tim-muh) (Info)

Green
Purple

Shiny/Glossy-Textured

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

By raysplants

By butterflybyrob
Thumbnail #5 of Urginea maritima by butterflybyrob

Thumbnail #6 of Urginea maritima by palmbob

Thumbnail #7 of Urginea maritima by palmbob

Neutral FlaFlower On Nov 12, 2012, FlaFlower from Miami Dade, FL (Zone 11) wrote:

I puchased 2, 3 years ago they bloomed well the first year and the second but lesser the second, the third year they didn't bloom at all and I think I may have lost one altogether for no apparent reason this year, they are both treated the same, in the same type containers, same water, in the same area and exposure. One seems to be coming up OK with leaves the other I haven't seen a peep of, as yet not sure all Cali plants are real happy with Fla weather conditions, heat? Humidity? Rain? Altitude? What ever it is they are not blooming here...I sure hope I see the hide of the other one there not cheap and I'm not going to spring for another one!

Positive cjjulian On Nov 23, 2010, cjjulian from Pittsburg, CA wrote:

So far I am satisfied with this. Leaves are finally showing up and looking thick!

It fits well with my drought tolerant garden.

Until a full year passes, I will come back for more comments on this exciting exotic plant!

I received the bulb, planted the bulb and let the top part of it stick out of the ground. Watered after planting and left it alone. I made sure it was planted in an area where water will not sit!

UPDATE: I planted in 2010 and its 2011, I have a wonderful bloom stalk! =)

Positive Gourd On Sep 27, 2007, Gourd from Mesilla Park, NM wrote:

We moved from Southern California to Southern NM and I dug these two bulbs up, potted them up and one bloomed last year during the Move in Oct/Nov 2006, the 2nd one bloomed this summer in 2007. In August 2007, they were both put into the ground with no leaves, a month later, now they are both sending up the green leaves and I ordered 5 more bulbs that arrived yesterday and were put in the ground yesterday 9-26-07. Everything says that they should be able to take a frost, and the ground doesn't freeze here, so I'll up date come next year after we see what happens to them.

Neutral markinwestmich On Feb 7, 2007, markinwestmich from Byron Center, MI wrote:

So far, two years experience in western Michigan. Full southern exposure. It appears dormant during the hot summer, then in early Fall, it awakens and begins to produce foliage. The bulbs are large, but even at 6-7 inches in diameter, may be too small to produce the tall flower stalk. Once the temperatures begin threaten with frost, I've been able to bring the plant indoors and set it next to a sunny window and have it continue to grow through February before the foliage begins to fail. Other than the Winter indoors, it spends its time outdoors in a large pot (3x the width and depth of the bulb).

Neutral palmbob On Aug 26, 2006, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

large bulb native to Malta and surrounding islands. Leaves erupt in the fall and dry up in the spring to early summer. Then a flower stalk shoots out in late summer up to 3' tall, sometimes taller. Single raceme covered with white, shiny flowers. Very drought tolerant. Toxic plant, used extensive in medicine as a source of a variety of compounds.

Carefree, Arizona