PlantFiles: Heliotrope, Common Heliotrope, Cherry Pie Flower, Peruvian Heliotrope, Peruvian Turnsole
Heliotropium arborescens

Family: Boraginaceae
Genus: Heliotropium (hee-lee-oh-TROH-pee-um) (Info)
Species: arborescens (ar-bo-RES-senz) (Info)

Synonym:Heliotropium peruvianum
Synonym:Heliotropium corymbosum

Violet/Lavender
Purple

Blue-Green
Aromatic
Velvet/Fuzzy-Textured
Veined

Flowers are good for cutting

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

By poppysue

By ladyrowan
Thumbnail #7 of Heliotropium arborescens by ladyrowan

Positive khabbab On Mar 20, 2013, khabbab from lahore
Pakistan (Zone 10b) wrote:

I sowed the seeds in October 2012 and it flowered in March 2013. Fragrance is very good. I am not sure how does it survive my hot summers and monsoon. I assume it should be a perennial in my hot climate.

Positive jeanniemarie55 On Jun 24, 2010, jeanniemarie55 from Houston, TX wrote:

I bought my Heliotrope 4 years ago in January. It was very small in a 3 inch pot. It has come back every year, more full and more beautiful each spring. It has bloomed profusely and I love it!!!

I have potted it up twice and it got bushier each time. I am currently rooting some cuttings and they seem to be doing well. I hope they take hold as I would like to increase the number that I have without having to purchase any more.

Positive mrs_colla On Nov 17, 2009, mrs_colla from Marin, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

The scent of this plant is so special, so uncommon! It's not vanilla, not cherry, it's ... itself! I love the scent so much, I buy new plants every year.
So far, in the ground they have not come back in spring, but now I have it in a pot in the sunniest location in my yard, so I hope it will come back.
It also exists in white. ( Alba)

Positive donnab38 On May 28, 2009, donnab38 from Fair Oaks, CA wrote:

I planted Heliotrope Marine in my brick planter up against the house, which is an east exposure about 6 years ago. It has been blooming every spring, summer and fall. The smell is very aromatic, I don't smell Cherry Pie or Vanilla, more as an
Annise smell, like licorice. I have read about it and what I found is it is an old and rare plant. I have checked out many nurseries and they don't have it. So if you have one, cherish it. Enjoy yours

Positive Mari2238 On Jun 27, 2005, Mari2238 from Bothell, WA wrote:

I just planted this Heliotrope this Spring. Luckly I planted it in a large pot. Since I read your reviews I find that I can winter it indoors. It is not in full sun, but as much as I can give it, as I live under alot of fir trees. Always shady. But it is growing quiet tall and has clusters of blossoms. I just hope it is the variety with the great fragrance that I remember from long ago. Thank you so much for your info. Mari. Bothell WA.

Neutral nevadagdn On Apr 15, 2005, nevadagdn from Sparks, NV (Zone 7a) wrote:

I manage to kill heliotrope with appalling frequency. Maybe eventually I'll get it right.

Positive JaxFlaGardener On Apr 15, 2005, JaxFlaGardener from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I've had my heliotrope for less than a year. It bloomed beautifully last year and has returned this Spring, having survived temperatures as low as 28 F on a few nights this past Winter. It died back to the ground from freezing, but is now returning vigorously.

Last season, I first planted it in a somewhat shady location, hoping to add it to my purple/yellow flowered garden. It didn't do well until I moved it to full sun. I should have guessed from the "helio" (sun) part of its name that it would be a sun lover -- Another lesson learned in putting the plants where they want to be for optimum health and growth and not where I want them for landscaping effects.

Positive Dogzilla On Apr 14, 2005, Dogzilla from Tallahassee, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is one of my favorites. It may be treated as an annual north of zone 8, and is pretty tender in zone 8. Always dies to the ground for me, but will come right back in spring. The fragrance is similar to a gardenia, only with more vanilla. My understanding is this is a very old-fashioned plant.

Neutral ThePlantDude On Oct 20, 2004, ThePlantDude from Vic
Australia wrote:

Just to reinterate what others have said ... this plant in a SHRUB and therefore technically a PERENNIAL ... IT IS NOT AN ANNUAL. It is frost tender and as such is often treated as an Annual in frost prone areas. Treating a plant as an Annual and a plant being an Annual are two different things buggerdammit.

Neutral smiln32 On Aug 7, 2002, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

This plant is an annual in most zones, but can be grown as a perennial in zones 9 and 10. Partial shade is best if grown in hot climates.

Positive vajralinga On Jul 18, 2002, vajralinga wrote:

Heliotropium arborescens is a really nice plant that can be grown outdoors in summer as well as indoors the whole year. In fact it is NOT an annual plant, but a tropical shrub. At present narrow varieties are often grown annual from seeds, but they mostly lack the sweet intensive scent of vanilla and cinnamon that made the plant famous.
The best varieties are grown from cuttings and grow up to 4 -5 ft. Kept in a warm and bright place Heliotropium will also flower in winter, filling the whole room with its sweet vanilla scent. Heliotropium needs quite a lot of water and does not like the soil to dry out completely.

Neutral Terry On Mar 16, 2001, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Tender perennial commonly grown as an annual. Old-fashioned varieties have very fragrant flowers in purple, violet or white colors; newer varieties may have less or no fragrance.

Can be grown in a sunny spot with well-drained soil, or in as a container-grown plant, and wintered over. Will become shrub-like with age.

Fair Oaks, California