Scarlet Pimpernel, Pimpernel, Adders Eyes
Anagallis arvensis

Family: Primulaceae
Genus: Anagallis (an-uh-GAL-us) (Info)
Species: arvensis (ar-VEN-sis) (Info)
Synonym:Anagallis arvensis subsp. arvensis

Herbs

under 6 in. (15 cm)

Medium Blue

Amesti, California

Malibu, California

Manhattan Beach, California (2 reports)

Menifee, California

Millersburg, Pennsylvania

Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania

Garland, Texas

Lufkin, Texas

San Antonio, Texas (2 reports)

Santa Fe, Texas

Uvalde, Texas

Lyman, Washington

Oroville, Washington

On Jul 3, 2014, cinemike from CREZIERES
France (Zone 8a) wrote:

We find it here
We find it there
Us gardeners find it everywhere
Is is from Heaven
No it's from Hell
That damned invasive Pimpernel!

On Mar 23, 2014, 2QandLearn from Menifee, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I found this plant growing in an area where new houses were being constructed nearby, brought it home, planted it in a pot, and collected the seeds once they dried. . . .

Then, I cast them in a semi-shady spot. It has grown & had flowers & seeds every year since (about 5?), but is not invasive here, perhaps because our soil is heavy clay, and it supposedly prefers a light soil.

I most definitely enjoy the laciness of this plant's growth habits, the small leaves and the delicate, plain, flowers!

On Jun 29, 2012, Emma60 from Grassy Creek, NC (Zone 6a) wrote:

This is one of the prettiest, most welcome little flowers I know of. I discovered it growing on a neighboring property many years ago and dug it up and put it in my garden. It stayed in the same spot (or its seedlings, perhaps) for several years. It never reseeded anywhere else, so invasive is the last word I have for it, and since I didn't have nearly enough in my garden, I would say "evasive" is more like it.

On Jul 28, 2011, jillybean78 from Manhattan Beach, CA wrote:

This plant is pretty for a weed; however, it is rampant in my garden and it is poisonous if ingested by animals.

On Mar 28, 2010, Opoetree from Oak View, CA wrote:

For a 'weed' -- it's very lovely. Comes up unbidden. If unwelcome -- uproots easily enough. The blooms' coloring is quite attractive...even enviable.

On Aug 4, 2009, napdognewfie from Cumberland, MD (Zone 6a) wrote:

Cute little flowers for a weed & has spots on the undersides of the leaves. Not too invasive so I leave a few to bloom around the garden. It is a few zones hardier than listed

On Jul 7, 2008, robcorreia from San Diego, CA (Zone 10b) wrote:

Pops up everywhere! Good thing it's easy to pull out.

On Jan 26, 2008, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Scarlet Pimpernel, Pimpernel, Adders Eyes (Anagallis arvensis) also is naturalized in the Hawaiian Islands, Puerto Rico, Canada and Greenland.

On Nov 22, 2006, frostweed from Josephine, Arlington, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Scarlet Pimpernel, Pimpernel, Adders Eyes, Anagallis arvensis ia naturalized in Texas and other States.

On Apr 22, 2006, SW_gardener from (Zone 6a) wrote:

I've had this coming up in a small area of my garden for a few years now. I don't find it invasive at all....It just stays and reseeds in the same spot every year growing between the other plants. Little orange/red flowers with a bluish eye.
I hope it comes up again this year!

On Jun 3, 2004, Ulrich from Manhattan Beach, CA (Zone 11) wrote:

One or two are great, but it's very invasive. Am forever pulling it.

On Jan 25, 2003, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

In climates where it is not hardy, scarlet pimpernel reliably reseeds to become a permanent member of the garden. Seeds sprout without assistance, and are easily thinned.

On Oct 27, 2001, Baa wrote:

A prostrate, variable annual from Europe but widely naturalised across the Northern Hemishpere.

Has ovate or lanceolate, mid green leaves on prostrate stems. Bears 5 petalled, solitary flowers which are normally a brick/orange red but can be blue, white or a pinkish shade. It may also have a purple, pink or blue eye.

Flowers anywhere between March-October and for many months at a time. They close on rainy days and dull days or at 2pm

Likes a moist, well drained soil in full sun but will tolerate a little shade. Being small it prefers not to have much in the way of taller competition. It grows well in a container or as part of a sunny rock garden.

It was considered an anti-witchcraft plant and was used to remove splinters put ... read more