PlantFiles: Angelonia, Summer Snapdragon
Angelonia gardnerii

Family: Scrophulariaceae (skrof-yoo-larr-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Angelonia (angel-on-ee-a) (Info)
Species: gardnerii (gard-NAIR-ee-eye) (Info)

Violet/Lavender

Thumbnail #6 of Angelonia gardnerii by DaleTheGardener

By Sashagirl
Thumbnail #7 of Angelonia gardnerii by Sashagirl

Positive astilbe2 On Oct 10, 2011, astilbe2 from Monroe, LA wrote:

This plant became very popular this spring at all of our local big box garden centers, although it was a new species to me.

I have thoroughly enjoyed all five plants. They have bloomed continuously since May, and are still blooming now in October!
They have perfomed even through our horrible Louisiana summer heatwave and drought. They are true "Summer Snapdragons." They do love full sun.

I will definitely be planting these again next spring.

Positive PainterWoman On Jun 19, 2010, PainterWoman from Plano, TX wrote:

Question: Mine are a) new and b) drooping a little... (I may be over watering as they are new.) Do they benefit from being pinched back, to avoid legginess? I've got them in a container and would prefer they stay fairly compact.

Positive willowwind On Nov 29, 2008, willowwind from Moundridge, KS (Zone 6a) wrote:

I have now begun starting this annual from seed each year which is much more cost effective. They start fairly easily inside under lights and do beautifully in my tougher rural Kansas garden.

Positive robinsoutside On May 18, 2008, robinsoutside from Trophy Club, TX (Zone 7b) wrote:

LOVED this plant last summer! Bought 3 and by the end of the season they had spread to a grouping at least 3'x4'. See picture. Beautiful!
Planted them in full Texas sun and they thrived and bloomed all summer long. Very little care required. When they started to sag I'd add water & they'd perk right up!
I miss them this year. Bought some "Angelface" but it's not doing as well as and doesn't have the delicate appearance of the Angelonia. Going with Angelonia next season for sure!

Positive vaalriver On Sep 17, 2007, vaalriver from Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

This turned out to be a true winner in my garden in Houston. Our extreme heat has not bothered it, not did the very wet summer we have had. It has bloomed non-stop. It is colorful but delicate and has an airy look to it.

Positive lightningbug On May 20, 2004, lightningbug from Buffalo, MN wrote:

My absolute favorite annual. I'm Zone 3 and purchase 3 each year. One pink, one blue and white, and one purple. A little spendy for annuals but worth the price because they look like miniature orchids in abundance and are a graceful touch in any garden. Lightning-Bug!

Positive zip On Nov 1, 2002, zip wrote:

I am so pleased with this plant. I bought one at the beginning of summer and it did so well, I bought two more later. We have hot, dry summers but all three plants did beautifully in large containers on my full sun patio. Bloomed all summer and didn't need deadheading! All three are still blooming in November, though fading a bit now. Wonderful!

Positive flamingonancy On Oct 4, 2002, flamingonancy wrote:

Love this plant more than any other plant I've ever grown, with the possible exception of my 'old fashioned screw pine'!
I bought it locally (Northern Baltimore) in the spring, even though it was a little pricey for my novice/container gardening style. I put it in a big pot in full sun, sprayed it with some food every now and then during the summer, watered it w/recycled water (the drought of '02), and it grew as big as a small shrub, and positively loaded with flowers all summer long. I've cut long beautiful stems of flowers every week for my (again, novice) arrangements. It's colorful, yet airy and graceful, not showy. Highly recommend it.

Neutral Baa On Oct 29, 2001, Baa wrote:

A perennial from Brazil.

Has lance like, hairy, mid green leaves on tall erect stems. Bears white, sometimes spotted with red or lilac flowers which look a little like tiny snapdragons flattened from the front.

Flowers June-August.

Like a moist, well drained, humus rich soil in full sun.

Not hardy and will probably only take temperatures down to 52F. Bring indoors in frost prone areas.

Clanton, Alabama