PlantFiles: Impatiens, Busy Lizzy
Impatiens walleriana

Family: Balsaminaceae
Genus: Impatiens (im-PAY-shuns) (Info)
Species: walleriana (wall-er-ee-AH-nuh) (Info)

Synonym:Impatiens sultani

Orange
Red-Orange
Violet/Lavender
Purple

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

By Bug_Girl

By FlowerManiac
Thumbnail #6 of Impatiens walleriana by FlowerManiac

By FlowerManiac
Thumbnail #7 of Impatiens walleriana by FlowerManiac

Positive Cymbelina On May 23, 2013, Cymbelina from Prattville, AL (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is the most reliable flower for shade gardens that I have found. From small bedding plants in the spring, impatiens form huge banks of flowers in one season in my area. They are constantly in bloom from small bedding plants until frost kills them. They wilt completely with too much sun or too little water. My neighbor made the mistake of planting them at his mailbox and they didn't last two weeks. But I've had them in pots and in the ground and although they don't really survive my winters here in zone 8, they do seed freely and come back and the bedding plants are cheap and readily available in a dizzying array of colors. I've had one in a pot now for three years (and kept it inside in the winter) and it's bloomed the entire time. I had to cut it back and now I have new plants all over the place. Rooting cuttings is so easy and they will do equally well in water or soil if they're kept moist. If you have a dim and shady spot, this is the plant to brighten it up. One of my all time favorite flowers!

Positive Igor3125 On Nov 30, 2008, Igor3125 from Toronto, ON (Zone 4a) wrote:

These plants are very nice ones. They are very durable and the seeds always grow when they fresh. Plus you get a whole choice of many colours of the flowers that you can select. These plants produce flowers and seed pods very quickly. When ready, the seed pods unfold so quickly it looks like they are exploding, spreading their fresh seeds in a showers all over the place. I recomend this plant for starting gardeners.

Positive aulani61 On Nov 10, 2008, aulani61 from Emporia, KS wrote:

There is a great deal of shade in my back yard so I depend heavily on these lovely flowers for color and they never fail to deliver. I have them beneath trees and on the patio in pots of many shapes and sizes. My favorite arrangement is one I discovered this past year. I planted a big bowlful of red impatiens amid some white leafed caladiums, both lovers of water. The caladium leaves rise above the impatiens and provide contrast both in color and shape. Oh my, what a sight. I will always have a bowl of that arrangement on my patio.

Positive leegee01 On Jul 10, 2007, leegee01 from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

When I first added these to my garden last year, I was told that they wouldn't last long in the Texas heat, but they have absolutely thrived in my yard. They bloom constantly from March until early December. Some of my plants last year were huge, up to two feet tall at the end of the year. This year I have a border across my entire yard, so I've been taking cuttings to keep the larger ones in check, and my flowers are the envy of the neighborhood. They need a good soaking every day or two, but even lasted well through drought and hot conditions all last summer, and have tolerated lots of direct sunlight.

Positive rjones8194 On Jun 11, 2007, rjones8194 from Independence, LA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Beautiful plants but they do need a lot more water than most other plants I grow. One plant can fill a x-large planter in the right growing conditions.

Positive dansgirl On Nov 14, 2006, dansgirl from Atascadero, CA (Zone 10b) wrote:

I've had success with all of my "accent" impatiens except for one plant which baffles me because it has been taken care of in the same manner as all of the others I have, including the one right next to it which is flourishing. Other than that I have had a completely positive experience with them. My favorites of this variety are the bright coral and the red, which are both so striking.

Positive punaheledp On Jul 4, 2004, punaheledp from Kailua, HI (Zone 11) wrote:

Have had trouble growing from seed, but those I purchased as 3-1/2" bedding plants last summer and placed at the base of my crown flower are beautiful. Did have a couple rot, but the 2 that made it are huge. Hot summer now so need to water daily, if they've wilted, they revive quickly. Deffinate keepers in my garden, will always find a place for some. advantage to buying as bedding plants is you already know the colors, so can arrange as you like rather than leaving it totally to Mother Nature.

Neutral suncatcheracres On Nov 20, 2003, suncatcheracres from Old Town, FL wrote:

I love the look of these plants and grew them for years, especially the exotic looking "New Guinea" ones. But here in hot Florida with our extremely well-drained sandy soils, they have to be watered twice a day, and this is just too much for me, so I have given up on them. I do admire them in garden centers and shady gardens as I drive by. They are especially attractive in flower beds massed under spreading live oak trees, surrounded by border or monkey grass--Liriope or Ophiopogon.

Even in pots, with our Summer heat they have to be watered much more frequently than my other potted plants, so growing them just becomes a nuisance.

Positive mrsmitty On Nov 19, 2003, mrsmitty from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

I prune mine back and start the cuttings in small pots or directly where I want them to grow. They tend to get leggy if they aren't pruned. You certainly don't need many as the seeds and cuttings can fill a shady meadow in no time.

Positive Eliza On May 26, 2003, Eliza from Bucharest
Romania wrote:

They are wonderful to grow inside, full of color. We call them "Wealth of the house" and it is thought that if they are full of flowers the house will be rich. They are easy to grow and they have many wonderful colors.

Positive SunshineSue On May 25, 2003, SunshineSue from Mississauga, ON (Zone 6a) wrote:

Indispensable summer annual in my zone 5 1/2-6 gardens, pots, hanging baskets & wall bags. Will grow in a fair bit of sun, but only if well watered frequently. Otherwise shade to morning sun is best & they still require plenty of water. Does not require pinching or dead heading. I prefer the single variety over the newer doubles as the doubles tend to be messy in that they are constantly dropping their spent blooms. I also prefer the single over the Sunshine Impatiens, which is a misnomer, as regular, old impatiens are more prolific bloomers & have a better color range. I use triple mix with added composted cattle manure & use a water soluable fertilizer weekly. I buy my impatiens in cell packs, which are inexpensive rather than starting them from seed. Impatiens truly are a lot of bang for the buck & can quickly fill-up bare spots in the garden & add a sense of color flow when interspersed with perennials & used as an edging. Try combo's of red & white, pink & white, mauve & coral, purple & coral or create a "crazy quilt" effect with all colors!

Negative Monocromatico On Apr 25, 2003, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

It's pretty, colorful... but may turn into a pest if you don't remove the early developed fruits. Depending on where you live and where you grow it, it could spread into native vegetation areas, harming native species that can't grow nor reproduce so fast.

Positive Dinu On Jan 22, 2003, Dinu from Mysore
India (Zone 10a) wrote:

They dislike hot sunlight and so prefers shaded and moist (not wet) place. If the soil does not drain well, it rots. Terminal cuttings can grow well. Till now, I have found it difficult to collect seeds - I notice the green pod and when I opened them the seeds were raw. When I waited for a similar one to mature, it had exploded off. I don't think its pods will get yellowish on maturity like its Balsam counterpart. So it has become difficult for me to know when the seeds mature in the delicate and tender-looking pods. But they reseed itself easily and it is invaluable in the garden for wonderful colour.

Positive Terry On Sep 1, 2002, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

What would we do without these bright, colorful annuals to fill in those shady spots every summer? The only criticism I have of them is that they are somewhat susceptible to rot problems if the soil doesn't drain well, and I've seen insect problems occur occasionally. But treat them halfway decent and they'll bloom their hearts out for you.

Take cuttings in the fall, stick them in water and you'll have rooted cuttings to pot up and bloom throughout the winter, ready to go back outside in the spring.

Positive smiln32 On Aug 7, 2002, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Gorgeous, dependable flower. In the south, they do not handle the sun very well, but will survive given they get enough water. They prefer some shade and occassional fertilizer.

Positive moscheuto On Nov 1, 2001, moscheuto from Westland, MI (Zone 5a) wrote:

One of the most popular annuals for gardens, mass planting, and containers. Features a wide range of colorful large flowers on compact plants. Blooms reliably in heavy shade.
Makes a good winter houseplant.

Auburn, Alabama
Martinez, California
South Gate, California
Fort Pierce, Florida
Gainesville, Florida
Jacksonville, Florida (2 reports)
Lakeland, Florida
Morriston, Florida
Pompano Beach, Florida
Tampa, Florida (2 reports)
Winter Haven, Florida