Climber, Hybrid Multiflora, Rambler Rose
Rosa multiflora 'Seven Sisters'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Species: multiflora (mul-tih-FLOR-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Seven Sisters
Additional cultivar information:(aka Grevillia, Grevilli major, Qizimei)
Hybridized by Unknown
Registered or introduced: 1817
Synonym:Rosa cathayensis
Synonym:Rosa multiflora grevilei
Synonym:Rosa multiflora platyphylla
Synonym:Rosa platyphylla
Synonym:Rosa thoryi

Class:

Cluster-flowered (incl. Floribunda & Grandiflora)

Modern Climber

Trained as rambler

Other Details:

Shade-tolerant

Pruning Instructions:

Blooms on old wood; prune after flowering

By simple layering

Rockport, Texas

Woodville, Texas

Reedsville, Wisconsin

On May 26, 2015, ann3193 from Rockport, TX wrote:

This Seven Sisters Rose has bloomed on my parents property in SC for over 60 years. It is stunning. I recently transplanted a cutting to Rockport, TX. It is the same age as this one that was transplanted but mine has never bloomed. Any suggestions?

Could not post a picture but the one at my Mom's was gorgeous this year and 10 times bigger than mine.

On Jul 11, 2010, Glenn3 from Camden, ME wrote:

I'm not certain everyone here is growing the same rose. There is a bunch of controversy about it, and many different varieties have been shipped with the name 'Seven Sisters.' My most reliable sources tell me that it is not winter hardy in the North, and only makes a big plant in climates south of Washington, DC. Many folks in Maine believe they are growing it, but too many times it has turned out to be an old understock 'De la Grifferaie,' or some other pink rambler. Have a look at this site: http://www.oldheirloomroses.com.

On May 17, 2005, tajataja from Hull,Ga, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

This plant makes a wonderful addition to any garden. Will climb up a trellis and be really something to see..Full Sun though....

On Nov 5, 2004, rplingaltx from Galveston, TX wrote:

Stumbling across this rose brings back a lot of memories for me. I have recently inherited my "old family home" and there is a very large Seven Sisters vine on the property. I remember as a child asking my Great Aunt how old it was and she brought out her box of pictures and showed me an image of her cousin standing in front of it as a small child back in the 1920s. Amazing. The house has been in the family since 1852 so who knows how long it has really been there?? It blooms beautifully every year...as others have said it roots easily as well. About my only criticism of it is that in my hot and humid climate it does get some mildew now and then. Gorgeous otherwise!

On Aug 15, 2004, WillowWasp from Jones Creek, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

This was a wonderful rose to grow that bloomed all spring right up to fall and might have a slight break in the hottest part of the summer. It was pretty resistant to most pest and had almost not problems with rust or black spot. I love it and it was one that was pasted down from my grandmother. A very hardy rose as well. I would love to grow it again but haven't found one at any othe the nursuries where I am and I will be moving again soon so I had better wait awhile.
:o)
Dee

On Apr 16, 2004, Emma_Lou from Glen Saint Mary, FL wrote:

There have been several seven sisters in my grandmother's yard for many years. We have simply waited until the blooms were gone before doing any pruning (if necessary for space). For the most past we simply let them go and enjoy the blooms. They root very easily, where ever they touch the ground. After the root has had time to establish, transfering them to a new spot has been very easy.

On Feb 9, 2003, Vacationland wrote:

Often found growing over fences and doorways of old Maine houses. Old rambler. Large, tight clusters of double flowers with a multi-hued color range from deep to soft pink, sometimes lilac and red all on the same cluster. Will tolerate poorer soils and partial sun. from China 1816. Blossoms once in late summer but covers the plant for weeks. Zone 4.