PlantFiles: Earpod Tree
Enterolobium contortisiliquum

Family: Mimosaceae
Genus: Enterolobium (en-ter-oh-LOW-bee-um) (Info)
Species: contortisiliquum (kon-tor-tih-SIL-ih-kwoo-um) (Info)

Synonym:Mimosa contortisiliqua

Thumbnail #6 of Enterolobium contortisiliquum by Kelli

By Gustichock
Thumbnail #7 of Enterolobium contortisiliquum by Gustichock

Neutral seanjs On Oct 25, 2009, seanjs from Orlando, FL wrote:

Not a fan of hurricanes. Throws branches like crazy. I love the dappled shade and the motion of the leaves in a nice breeze but thats about all it has to offer. Peltophorum dubium is probably a better alternative, sturdier stems and trunk, denser foliage, much more desirable form, and conspicuous blooms.

Neutral Raghu_ambattur On May 16, 2007, Raghu_ambattur from Chennai
India wrote:

I have seen this mid-size tree right at the entrance of a residential flat. While some websites indicate that the roots of this tree spread to cause damage to buildings, I did not notice any damage to the building that has been there for many years now. I live in Ambattur near Chennai, India. I have updated a photo of the flower/foliage, that appear a little different from the other photos here.

Positive wormfood On Jan 30, 2007, wormfood from Lecanto, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

I drove by this tree a couple of times and thought it was an old mimosa, pink silk tree. But something was different. Each time I drove by I'd slow down more until one day I came to a complete stop. I saw these pods on the ground and after thinking of many ways I could approach this I decided to just snatch and grab. I jumped the fence, ran at breakneck speed about 100ft, grabbed 2 of them and ran back to my car and took off. The people inside were probably laughing their heads off. It has a humongous trunk, which is what the name is supposed to mean in another language and it grows fast. I'm going to use it for my north side fence area to block winter winds and hurricane winds. The ear POD is fascinating to me. All dryed up it feels like a mahogony to me.

Negative MotherNature4 On Jul 6, 2005, MotherNature4 from Bartow, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

I would never recommend this trashy tree. It grows too large for the average yard, the wood is brittle, it sheds seed pods and seedlings pop up everywhere. The seeds may be used in some crafts, but be careful not to let them sprout.
MN4

Neutral Pursuit777 On May 1, 2002, Pursuit777 from Brooksville, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

Fast growing tree. Root system travels above and below ground and could be disasterous for a home or building foundation. Great for shade but needs a lot of trimming yearly as when the foliage drops much deadwood is left behind that needs to be removed. The white flower tufts are not a problem but the large seed pods are numerous and pose a yearly cleanup to remove. Tree in my yard is approximately 50 foot tall with a 40 foot diameter of foliage. The root system is about 30 foot in diameter mainly above ground which makes mowing an impossibility.

Have taken numerous seeds from the pods and reproduced the tree as a seedling and planted a great distance from structures for distant shade. If you do not trim when necessary the dead wood becomes brittle and will crash on any articles underneath. Have an abundance of the seeds if anyone wishes to experiment. Will Post photo later.

Apopka, Florida