Loquat, Japanese Plum
Eriobotrya japonica

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Eriobotrya (er-ee-oh-BOT-ree-uh) (Info)
Species: japonica (juh-PON-ih-kuh) (Info)
Synonym:Photinia japonica

Edible Fruits and Nuts

Seed is poisonous if ingested

Late Fall/Early Winter

Mid Winter

Bronze-Green

Velvet/Fuzzy-Textured

From seed; germinate in a damp paper towel

By grafting

Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing

Grenoble,

Joshua Tree, California

Oak View, California

Oceanside, California

Palm Springs, California

Sacramento, California (2 reports)

Santa Cruz, California

Stockton, California

Beverly Hills, Florida

Cocoa, Florida

Daytona Beach, Florida

Dunnellon, Florida

Hampton, Florida

Homosassa, Florida

Jacksonville, Florida (2 reports)

Jupiter, Florida

Kissimmee, Florida

Lake Mary, Florida

Lakeland, Florida (2 reports)

Lecanto, Florida

Lutz, Florida (2 reports)

Lynn Haven, Florida

Palatka, Florida

Palm Coast, Florida

Perry, Florida

Port Orange, Florida

Rockledge, Florida (2 reports)

Saint Petersburg, Florida (2 reports)

Santa Rosa Beach, Florida

Honomu, Hawaii

Gray, Louisiana

Houma, Louisiana

Independence, Louisiana

Lafayette, Louisiana (2 reports)

Marrero, Louisiana

Brooklyn, New York

Durham, North Carolina

Sunset Beach, North Carolina

Wilmington, North Carolina

Portland, Oregon (2 reports)

Beaufort, South Carolina

Bluffton, South Carolina (2 reports)

Charleston, South Carolina (2 reports)

Florence, South Carolina

Prosperity, South Carolina

Saint Helena Island, South Carolina

Sumter, South Carolina

Alice, Texas

Austin, Texas (5 reports)

Bastrop, Texas

Georgetown, Texas

Iredell, Texas

Keller, Texas

Kerrville, Texas

Manvel, Texas (2 reports)

Port Lavaca, Texas

Round Rock, Texas

Sour Lake, Texas

Annandale, Virginia

Appomattox, Virginia

Petersburg, Virginia

Richmond, Virginia

Virginia Beach, Virginia

Seattle, Washington (2 reports)

On Apr 22, 2015, treeswithfruit from Chualar, CA wrote:

I am originally from South Africa from the city of Johannesburg at an altitude of almost 6000 feet above sea level. Temperatures would occasionally get to about 24 F{-4C) but not that often. Summer temperatures were rarely above 93F (34C). Loquat trees were always trouble free, loved by the birds, worms and people alike. We never sprayed any poison. So you had to check your loquat fruit for worms or take a chance if you were not going to open them up before popping them in your mouth. I love the dense green shade these trees provide, the fact they never need pruning and their large tropical evergreen leaves.

I have lived in the central California Valley just north of Sacramento with winter temperatures down to 17 F(-8C) to 115F(46C). I do not enjoy working outside when tempe... read more

On Nov 8, 2013, dave_in_nova from Annandale, VA wrote:

Several large specimens exist here in Fairfax County, Virginia (DC burbs). Likely they do not produce fruit -- perhaps only 1 out of 10 years, depending on if the planets all allign properly!

However this plant can take more cold than most people think. Easily down to 0 degrees if properly hardened off. Should be kept out of wind this far north. Snow loads can cause breakage. Up here it's more a novelty broad-leafed evergreen.

On Nov 2, 2013, worth1 from Bastrop, TX wrote:

I planted two of these trees in the front yard.
The soil is red clay and they seem to love it.
They went through two years of temperatures of 10 dgreesF with no damage.
After about 6 years one of them is blooming(finally got enough water).
I love these trees and hope the fruits make it through the winter.

I am going the air layer some of the suckers and plant them in the back yard.

On Apr 11, 2012, Patti320 from Asharoken, NY wrote:

I was given a small sapling in the fall. It was grown by seed from Milan.I live on the North Shore of Long Island, NY. I kept the seedling indoors by my kitchen window where it has thrived and grown nicely. It is about 6 inches tall right now with many healthy leaves. Can I put this sapling in the ground where I live (mid-May)? If I do/can would I care for it as I do for my fig trees (wrapping and covering it in the fall)? I have a bright sunny spot all picked out.

On Apr 4, 2012, plantbubba from Sour Lake, TX wrote:

The loquat seems to be a very popular plant all over the state of Texas. I was given 12 plants that my friend had in pots and just ignored except for watering , so they had rooted deep into the ground. We just took a shovel and broke the roots outside of the pots and they didn't skip a beat. I just kept them well watered until planting. After planting them 2 years ago I lost several but still have 5 that are loaded with fruit now, the first week of April. Ripe and juicy. I am wondering if anyone knows a good way to juice the fruit. Since they have such large seeds I wouldn't think they would do well in a conventional juicer. Or a recipe for making jelly. I have heard somewhere that it makes a great one. Thanks for any suggestions.
But if I have to stand at the tree and suck the ju... read more

On Feb 8, 2012, morningloree from Heathrow, FL wrote:

We have had some unusually cold winters for the past 2 years in central Florida. This is the "little tree that could." It has remained healthy through the winter without any special treatment. Which is nice, because I am busy hauling plumerias, a flamboyant, and orchids in and out of my house during December and January. It is nice to have something that stays green year around and grows without fuss. My tree is still only about a foot tall, but looking forward to the flowers and fruit.

On Jan 2, 2012, nogottarancho from Maricopa, AZ wrote:

two plants placed in courtyard that our house surrounds...

one is blooming, second year we have had it...still in nursery pot

other is planted but not blooming

only about 3 feet tall and caliper is about 1/2 inch.

On Jul 7, 2011, Theconstantgard wrote:

The loquat in South Africa has become a Category 3 Invader, which means it may no longer be traded. Only existing trees may be grown. This is the Government's strategy to phase it out of the country. I've never seen these fruits for sale, but I do have childhood memories of eating them off the trees.

On Jul 6, 2011, SouthFLNovice wrote:

I was born in Chile where the Japanese Loquat is known as nispero. Both my grandparents had loquat trees in their yards and it was one of my favorite fruits. Growing up in NY I scoured the markets always looking for the tasty fruit and never found it :( Now that we moved to S FL I was pleasantly surprised to find that I am able to plant it here in zone 10. Now I just have to find a nursery that sells the tree close to fruiting age, I have been waiting almost 25 years to taste it again. I will repost once I find one and plant it.

On Jun 12, 2011, BUFFY690 from Prosperity, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

Got my loquat baby home today will be in ground tomorrow, we are very excited, and looking forward to the fruits in the years to come, and the fact that it will block some unattractive tool shed of our neighbors'.

On May 29, 2011, CoreHHI from Bluffton, SC (Zone 9a) wrote:

I've read that loquats won't produce fruit North of Jacksonville on the East coast and that simply isn't true. I live about 10 miles North of Savannah GA about a mile inland from the ocean and there are many fruiting loquat trees around here.

Nice looking smaller evergreen tree with early spring fruit as a bonus. I've never had a pest or disease problem. Nice tree for those in sub-tropical climates.

On Apr 20, 2011, tinat2000 from Ormond Beach, FL wrote:

I had the weirdest experience today. I was so thrilled to find I had huge Japanese Plum tree in my yard of my new house, which was fully loaded w/fruit. I have been eating breakfast off it every day for 2 wks now as the fruit w/in reach ripened. However, today I went outside, as usual, only to find this tree was completely stripped of fruit! I mean...not one single Japanese plum left on the whole entire tree, and not one trace on the ground of there having ever been a fruit! I was totally freaked out...felt like I was in the twilight zone. Not a trace! I looked at the branches to see if they had been cut off or broken, but it did not seem there were really any fresh cuts or tears. Does anyone know what could have happened? I am thinking if it was some animal, like a flock of birds, ... read more

On Mar 27, 2011, newgreenguy wrote:

I have recently purchased the coppertone variety and I love this tree. We use it as a small patio centerpiece to screen from our neighborhood. It is easily shapped, has beautiful thick foilage and very fragrant flowers. It is difficult to distinguish this tree from the Indian Hawthorne (slightly longer leaves and smaller white vs larger pink flowers)

On Mar 6, 2011, Edgar1889 from Richmond, VA wrote:

I have a six-year-old loquat that finally bloomed last fall. I was so excited because I had just about given up on it (thought central Virginia might have been too cold for it). Now I'm hoping that maybe next year I'll get fruit. I've eaten them in Italy (where they're called nespole), but never in the U.S.

On Jan 24, 2011, MotherEarthFla from Palatka, FL wrote:

Hello John_hosie, sorry I am posting a comment so long after you. I live in zones 9 (a breakdown to that zone exactly were I am is between 8b and 9a). I have a Loquat Tree aka Japanese Plum grown from seeds. Seven years ago, as of March 2011, my husband and I was at Kanapaha Botanical Gardens in Gainesville Florida, the Loquat tree was in full fruit. We pick the fruit, was great, and I kept the seeds. I soaked the seeds for approx 1-1/2 weeks before planting them. They all came up. I gave some away but unfortunately when they were approx 2yrs old I thought they were fair the winter without protecting them, I was wrong. I lost all but one Loquat tree. But, that one tree has grown to approx 12-14 foot tall and is producing its first fruit crop this year. If should have fruit to pick around M... read more

On Aug 19, 2010, john_hosie from Gaithersburg, MD (Zone 6b) wrote:

At this point my experience with this tree is about 2 hours old. So don't count it for much. I just bought 5 seedlings - still have the cotyledons on them - via eBay. They're all of about 4 inches tall, but at a cost of $1.75 each, I figured they were OK. I'm in zone 7 - near the edge of zone 6. I actually bought these without realizing what they really were. I thought I was getting a hybrid kumquat like the limequat that would be hardy in this area. I should have read the entire description. But regardless, I've got to say that they shipped well and were quickly potted. I'm just wondering if I want to over-winter them outside. I plan to turn them into Bonsai over the coming years, so I want them to at least get through the first year or two before exposing them to severe weather. Any advi... read more

On Jun 25, 2010, adheesh from Fussa Tokyo
Japan wrote:

My loquat tree here in Tokyo have finaly fruits now,
I guess the tree is about 15 maybe 20 years old
and 12 feet high.

On May 2, 2010, donnacreation from Sumter, SC (Zone 8a) wrote:

I bought my first loquat 5 years ago, and this year, for the first time, it has fruited. I thought the climate here was too cold for this to occur - last winter was very cold with many lows in the teens - but obviously it isn't. I don't know the specific cultivar I'm growing, but I hope the fruit is flavorful. Regardless, it is a beautiful, tropical looking tree that reminds of old southern gardens. This tree also grows quite rapidly here in central SC.

On Apr 15, 2010, saverseeds from Metairie, LA wrote:

I Love these trees, I remember my father had two when I was little. Now I have a total of 6 in my yard. But I want to know if anyone has ever come across a Loquat, Japanese Plum (Eriobotrya japonica) that only had one seed in every fruit on the tree. I have seen a plum with 1 or 2 seeds before but for all the fruit to only have one seed all the time, strikes me as different. If this is a species of Loquat you know, please let me know. these things bug me lol.

On Feb 3, 2010, jujubetexas from San Marcos, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have had fruit from my tree every year for the last four years in zone 8b. We regularly get below 24 degrees in winter and the fruit still seems to form. I believe that the flowers are sensitive to 24F but I believe that once the fruit form, they are maybe tolerant to 22F. My tree is a seedling so it may be the characteristics of my tree. We had temps down to 14F this year and some of the fruit is still maturing. I am not sure what to think of that. I will see how many ripen in Spring. I just love the tree. It takes heat, drought, cold and just looks great. They will drop leaves but that is really only 15-30 minutes of cleanup work a year. I dont know why anyone would complain about that in exchange for 50-70 pounds of delicious fruit.

On Jan 13, 2010, Campfiredan from Alachua, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

They grow well here in North Florida. One of the few things I have outside that don't get freeze damage (other than the very young leaves which can get burnt by a deep freeze).

On Jan 12, 2010, plantladylin from South Daytona, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

My backyard neighbor has these trees growing all along the fence. They are a somewhat attractive tree and seem to be drought tolerant once established. The fruit are small and have a pleasant taste. The only (slight) negative I find is that little trees seem to pop up in the lawn, but I just mow over them otherwise we'd have an orchard!

On Nov 4, 2009, purplesun from Krapets
Bulgaria (Zone 8a) wrote:

There aren't many evergreen trees we can grow here in Bulgaria, and this is one of the best.
The leaves of the Loquat are large yet stiff, so they hold up well to wind. Their texture is quite impressive, and the tree grows reasonably fast. For me this is a totally carefree, valuable species that is very unusual and still a rarity here.
Some people have tried growing it in the colder parts of the country with limited success. It does need a lot of warmth and is really a borderline zone 7/8 plant. It grows well along the coast and perhaps would do well in mild locales elsewhere, though it will succumb to long periods of winter weather.

On Jun 21, 2009, FlorasGarden from BIRMINGHAM
United Kingdom wrote:

Re;(loquat) Eriobotria, encouraging flower and fruit in England.

I have a couple of really healthy, vigorous specimens, grown from seed, that are around 7 years old, still a bit early for flowers/fruit (?) but would love some tips on how to give them a 'nudge'.

they are beautiful little trees as they are, but it would be wonderful to have them fruit!

I live in Central England, with a sheltered and south - facing garden, they are very happy in their little warm spot, if anyone has any tips for me, that would be great:)

On Apr 18, 2009, armenia from LA, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

Yes, this tree will do well even in zone 7, and harvest begins in March.

On Jul 3, 2008, Dedda from Petersburg, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

Amazingly this tree thrives in zone 7-8. I planted this tree 4 years ago.It was 3 feet, now 12 feet.Have not seen flowers, or fruit :(
Leaves are tough like magnolia's,does not shed that much here.Did not know it was considered so tropical, I wont tell the tree- made it through some long cold spells here (once 9-17F for about a week, and windy)

On Mar 14, 2008, Ozark from Ozark, MO (Zone 6a) wrote:

When we lived in Southern California my folks bought a house with a loquat tree in the yard. I tried eating the fruit - once.

I've never had such a violent allergic reaction to anything else in my life. Like many people I have a few mild allergies - ragweed gives me hay fever, avocados make my lips itch a little (but they're worth it). My reaction to loquat was almost life-threatening - lips and tongue burning and swollen, throat swelling, difficulty breathing.

I just mention this because loquat, for some reason, apparently has the potential to affect some people like that. If anyone in your family has allergies, be careful with it. I'm just glad I don't react that way to any other fruit or vegetable.

On Dec 18, 2007, pb09 from Portland, OR wrote:

Pretty, small evergreen tree here in Portland, OR. Blooms in winter
w/ fragrant small white flowers. Frost usually wrecks the flowers but
the occasional fruit occurs in summer. Not an amazing fruit- nice
tree though. Leaves have burned in temps below 12F. Recovered
quickly.

On Nov 19, 2007, WoodyGA from Newnan, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

As long as I can remember, we've had a Japanese Plum growing in the yard of my childhood home. The first was planted at the corner of the house, but Dad removed it because of the near-indestructible fallen leaves so close to the house. He planted another farther away, thank goodness. In November when it begins to bloom, its intoxicating fragrance fills the whole yard. For me, that scent is a sure sign that the holidays are just around the corner. We've never eaten the fruit, but the tree's attractive appearance and the delightful fragrance in an otherwise dreary time of year are more than enough.

On Nov 7, 2007, Mombird from Dana Point, CA (Zone 10b) wrote:

These trees grow like weeds here! I have 2 trees in my backyard that I did not plant that must have grown from birds and they are about 12 - 15 ' tall. Fortunately, they seeded in a perfect area and offer good privacy and are evergreen. The fruit is good when very ripe and the birds love them.

On May 9, 2006, jfwilharm from Savannah, GA wrote:

I am 56 years old, and when I was a child in Savannah Georgia we had a "Japanese Plum" in our yard....I have many fond memories of the wonderful sweet yellow fruit and the very attractive flowers. Unfortunately, when I was about twelve years old, our tree died from an unknown cause...just this year I decided to research, find, and plant a new tree. I have now introduced my grandchildren to the tree and fruit that were such an important part of my own childhood.

On Mar 8, 2006, phoenixtropical from Mesa, AZ (Zone 9b) wrote:

Loquats grow in the lower desert if they receive some protection from the afternoon sun and adequate water. Their large exotic looking foliage is very attractive and select varities produce delicious fruit. Freezing is not a problem anywhere in the lower and upper sonoran desert. The most challenging aspect of growing loquats is their sensitivity to salty soil.

On Jul 13, 2005, Kameha from Kissimmee, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

These only produce fruit in areas that do not get below 27 in winter, basically in citrus growing areas. They can grow as far north as Atlanta or even farther north but they will not bear fruit.

The fruit is delicious. Some trees produce a tart, apricot tasting fruit while others produce a meltingly sweet fruit. I like both! The fruit usually ripens in Florida in march or april. The blossoms appear in fall and smell fragrant, attracting bumblebees and honeybees.

Native to China and Southern Japan. Also called Japanese Medlar. Important fruit crop in southern Japan.

Extremely sensitive to fire blight. If you find fire blight on a plant try to prune the infected leaves as soon as possible and sterilize your pruning shears afterwards. Is... read more

On Aug 14, 2004, Pameladragon from Appomattox, VA wrote:

It took me some time to finally locate a loquat small enough to transport back to Virginia. I found a lovely specimen in Naples, Florida but it was simply too large to fit inside our vehicle without extensive pruning (something the nurseryman was more than happy to do!).

I finally located a small one and it has been doing really well in central Virginia (7a). Although this plant is hardy here with protection and in a southern exposure, because of its habit of setting fruit in the fall and carrying it over the winter I decided to keep it as a large potted specimen. This way the fruit will not be damaged by winter storms.

Eventually the tree will be too large for a pot and then it can go into a well-protected part of our garden. Until then I leave it out... read more

On Apr 14, 2004, foodiesleuth from Honomu, HI (Zone 11) wrote:

We had a large loquat growing when I lived in SC, long time ago and was quite fond of it. Have tried to plant one everywhere I've lived since. I have a small tree at the moment, still in a large black pot. It will be transplanted soon. I have always love the loquat and love using the leaves and buds in flower centerpieces. The fruit is wonderful in a pie or pudding.
They are a bit messy, but to me the benefits outweigh the negatives.

January 31, 2005
We finally planted it in the ground last June. It has grown about 4 feet and many branches since we took it out of the pot and planted it in the yard. Hoping for blooms this fall.

On Apr 13, 2004, sassytiger from Lakeland, FL wrote:

I have ALOT of these trees.... because when the loads if fruit drops.... and the fruit breaks... the seeds go into the ground and germinate new plants. They do drop large leaves every where in your yard! But the fruit is delicious if you have a good tree. I have two VERY LARGE trees in my front yard... and one tree's fruit is good... but the other tree's fruit is sour!

On Apr 13, 2004, angelam from melbourne
Australia wrote:

A couple of points about this plant. It is unusual in that it flowers late in the year and matures its fruit over Winter to be the (very welcome) first fruit of the year. This makes them a serious problem in a fruit fly area if they aren't sprayed, as they can get the population off to a flying start.In parts of Australia owners are required by law to spray these trees.

Our tree is very definitely a biennial fruiter, with large crops in alternate years. I've read that this is common.

I find the leaves almost impossible to breakdown if left intact. I run over them with the mower before heaping them to let them rot down.

On Apr 12, 2004, rbillyc from San Diego, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

I had one of these growing when I moved in. VERY MESSY! They drop large leaves covering my plants in the planter and drop rotton fruit all over. These can be invasive in San Diego at the coast. When they are 20 to 30 feet tall you cannot control where the fruits will fall. Usually all over my patio and planters. I am constantly pulling up lowquat plants out of my planter. Fortunately I cut it down recently. So hopefully I will not have to pull them out much longer.

On Dec 4, 2003, art_n_garden from Colorado Springs, CO (Zone 6a) wrote:

I grew up climbing this tree and eating its fruit. many wonderful memories of my childhood happened near a loquat tree. i can still taste the fruit when i think about it.

On Nov 9, 2003, dogbane from New Orleans, LA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Overall I do like these trees, especially the fruit. However, they are messy, dropping large leaves or loads of rotting fruit from high in the canopy. Furthermore, here in New Orleans at least, they are prone to root fungus which make them short lived or at least unattractive. Nevertheless, I do have one in my patio and the birds love it.

On Sep 20, 2003, suncatcheracres from Old Town, FL wrote:

This is another plant my parents grew both in Louisiana and South Georgia, zone 8 mostly, but their trees were under part shade from huge oaks and never flowered or had fruit, so I've never tasted one! They are a pretty ornamental small tree, but thanks to all of the above information, especially about the cultivars, I will be on the lookout for one or two trees for my place here in Northcentral Florida, zone 8b.

On Sep 16, 2003, Dianaka wrote:

We found this delightful fruit and beautiful tree in Greece, and spent half of our trip trying to find an English translation of the Greek name pronounced "Misthilee". We brought seeds home and grew them, but they died because we didn't water them enough in a pot. We are purchasing one from a nursery for our yard, and hoping to have better luck with an irrigation system. I've heard they do well in Arizona...we hope so!

On Aug 23, 2003, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

We have this plant here, specially in colder places, although I know 2 or 3 plants here in Rio de Janeiro, including mine... I wasnt expecting it to grow, I just threw a seed from a fruit I had just eaten there, and after a few months it was born.

I like the fruits, but they are hardly used commercially, so I have to be lucky and find a tree bearing fruits to have some to eat... or waiting for my little buddy to grow

On Jun 15, 2003, alanpam wrote:

I live in the South East of England (United Kingdom). I have 2 of these trees in my south facing garden. They are now approximately 15 feet tall. We grew them from small plants which were brought back to Engalnd from Greece by a friend.

The trees are beautiful. but have only once had flowers and fruit. I would appreciate any suggestions as to how to encourage them to flower.

On Jun 10, 2003, IslandJim from Keizer, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

My wife, who is Turkish, says these are her favorite sub-tropical fruits. A neighbor made a delicious cobbler, subsituting loquats for apricots. And a final note, I was going to add a picture of the fruit, but it's hard to improve on those already posted.

On Jun 10, 2003, froghill from Eufaula, AL (Zone 8a) wrote:

I have a very young loquat. It is presently about 4 1/2 feet tall. A friend gave it to me, telling me that when full grown it has a lovely habit. I planted it around October, 2001 when it was about 1.5 feet tall.

My tree is in full sun and is watered regularly, has good drainage. Occasionally, however, some of the lower leaves get brown and fall off. It has not bloomed as yet, nor tried to bear fruit. The new leaves are always healthy. They are fuzzy and a very light green to goldish hue. The older leaves are a medium green and fuzzy on top.

On Jun 6, 2003, grakay from Palm Coast, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

We were fortunate enough to have a full, mature tree on our lot when we moved here, and this spring was a delight with all the fruit it bore. I'd never eaten this fruit till now, and I'm anxiously awaiting for the next harvest.

The tree itself is a beauty! It shows off its dark green leaves, and when in bloom, it is definitely a specimen.
Being a Northerner, I didn't know what the blooms were, so I kept waiting for a flower to appear. Thanks to a neighbor, I started harvesting right away.

On Jun 5, 2003, solecurrent wrote:

We are horse lovers in the Adelaide Hills in South Australia. Horses love the fruit but they spit out the seeds, (not quite round but entirely whole.)

My father-in-law was Yugoslavian and made beautiful wine and brandy from this fruit. He grew all of his trees from seed because he could grow more trees, more quickly, that way than through vegetative propogation or by grafting them onto quince stock, there being plenty of land in Australia but he having a shortfall of time on his hands. Then he'd simply thin out the poor bearers and any that he didn't like the taste of the fruit.

On May 25, 2003, MamaSue from Fallbrook, CA wrote:

We got a huge bag of these from a friend yesterday, but we grew up eating them as children, and they grow all over this town. Not all local fruit-bearing loquats are grafted stock; some come up from seeds that are just dropped by birds or children. I have seen them used as tall hedges, also. They can get very large.

We are interested in propagating these, and I talked to someone who has several; we're going to try them from seeds.

One factsheet says this:

"Loquat trees are easy to grow from seed. Seedling trees are satisfactory for ornamental use, but may bear inferior fruit. Superior varieties do not become true from seed, so it is necessary to plant vegetatively propagated trees. Successful methods of propagation in Florida include shield bud... read more

On Nov 13, 2001, Floridian from Lutz, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Loquats are small tender trees (to 25 feet) with symmetrical and compact crown. They have many admirable qualities including smooth evergreen foliage, fragrant flowers, and delicious fruit. They're very easy to grow from seed, and bloom from October to February in Florida (U.S.), some years they may rebloom in late summer.

The large leaves are about 10" long and are a deeply textured dark green on top while the bottom surface is light green and slightly fuzzy. As with other Photinias, new foliage on some species is an attractive rusty red.

The scented, fuzzy white flowers grow in terminal clusters, and are followed by small, edible yellow fruits. Provide plenty of water and good drainage when young. However, once established, this tree is drought resistan... read more