Forget-Me-Not
Myosotis sylvatica

Family: Boraginaceae
Genus: Myosotis (my-oh-SO-tis) (Info)
Species: sylvatica (sil-VAT-ee-kuh) (Info)
Synonym:Myosotis alpestris
Synonym:Myosotis oblongata

Biennials

Groundcovers

Pale Pink

Light Blue

Medium Blue

Velvet/Fuzzy-Textured

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

Auburn, Alabama

Woodbridge, Virginia

Wytheville, Virginia

North Sultan, Washington

Spokane, Washington

Tacoma, Washington (2 reports)

Charleston, West Virginia

Madison, Wisconsin

On Nov 10, 2014, fairfaxbloomer from Fairfax, CA wrote:

Invasive in the garden and in open space when it escapes. It crowds out everything in its path. Major pest!

On Sep 9, 2014, hardpanacres from Voorheesville, NY wrote:

I found this in bloom on September 8 at approx 1500 ft in the vicinity of Albany, NY. I was surprised as I had noticed it in early spring at this location over many years. Everything I've come across has it flowering from early spring to early summer. Is it unusual for it to bloom this late in the year?

On Jun 28, 2014, vjp12 from Springville, UT wrote:

I love the forget me nots I have growing in containers. I want to plant them, but wondered if they would grow under a pine tree? I know there are few things that will grow there and wondered if the needles would kill them.

On Jan 28, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

The people who call this species invasive are confusing it with water forget-me-nots (Myosotis semperflorens), which are on the invasive species lists of several states. It's hard for anyone but a botanist to tell these two species apart.

Woodland forget-me-nots (Myosotis sylvatica) make wonderful sheets of true blue underplanting everything and unifying the woodland garden in May (Boston Z 6a). I don't find they can outcompete many garden plants, they just fill in the spaces between the other perennials. The blue complements every other color. I don't find pink or white forget-me-nots nearly as effective.

They like cool conditions with light shade and consistent soil moisture, and they hate hot humid summers. I treat them as biennials. Without irrigation, man... read more

On Jun 24, 2013, BobSki from Hatfield, PA wrote:

To the person who gave a negative comment... These are awesome plants that need no care! I love it when the volunteers pop up in unexpected places. No bloom is a bad bloom! Do note that I am also the type of gardener who does not plant in a straight line.

On Mar 31, 2012, JasperDale from Long Beach, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

Not sure why this is only listed to Zone 8. I've had this growing for years in my zone 10a garden. It usually peters out by the time the hot summer weather arrives, but it does reseed for me, however not to a fault or to the point of being invasive. Does best with morning sun and afternoon shade here. Definitely a harninger of spring and superb with primulas, impatiens, and spring bulbs.

On Apr 25, 2010, kentstar from Ravenna, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

Awesome perrenial for me! Stays nice and compact, abundant true blue, tiny flowers. Funny that mine seem to do better in more sun than shade! I don't mind if it spreads in my garden beds because it's lovely and tough!

On Jan 6, 2010, bigred from Ashdown, AR (Zone 8a) wrote:

I love my little dwarf 4-get-me-nots. Not a problem for me becoming weedy. Just the opposite. Hard to keep them going in my zone. I'm wishing for them to self-sew in mass but never happens.

On Feb 5, 2009, saya from Heerlen
Netherlands (Zone 8b) wrote:

I know it reseeds..Once planted and let it go to seed, your garden will never be without it. Its name suits it well. But..they give early spring color and look pretty with spring bulbs. Its roots do not go deep, just on the surface. About end of May they are gone..pull out the declined (and already dried) plants (goes easy), shake out the seeds and enjoy its many babies next spring. My garden will never be without Forget-Me-Not, but I like that.
White and pink varieties will mostly flower blue after reseeding.

On May 23, 2008, girlndocs from Tacoma, WA wrote:

When I moved into this house I found a couple demure little forget me not plants growing in the lawn, shoveled them out and plopped them in a bed and forgot about it. It took those little starts about two years to turn that section of bed into a carpet of happy blue every spring. They seed with explosive force, sending seeds shooting everywhere.

They aren't hard for me to keep out of the other beds; I simply mulch over or weed out seedlings before they have a chance to bloom and seed. I've been able to give away lots of baby plants and lots of little bouquets. They're maintenance free except for yanking up the rocky-looking mother plants once they've gone to seed.

If I had one quibble with them it would be that they spread themselves out luxuriantly in spots ... read more

On May 21, 2008, milkbonehappy from Chester, VT (Zone 5a) wrote:

Grew this from a seed packet - I wanted a ground cover for a shady area. The first year some green foliage came up, I wasn't even sure it was not a weed, but this spring (one season after planting from seed) it was the first plant to be green after a very harsh winter. I still suspected it was a weed until it finally bloomed here in zone 5 in April. I am happy with the beautiful but tiny blue blooms, the foliage however is unremarkable. I don't know how attractive it will be as a ground cover after the blooms are spent. Positives- easy to grow, pretty blue color in spring, will self seed and maintain itself without much tending. Negative - lackluster foliage after blooms fade, possibly invasive, blooms are tiny.

On May 19, 2008, Jennigma from Elkins Park, PA (Zone 7a) wrote:

You mean there are people who grow this on purpose?

I haven't let one go to seed in my yard through three seasons now, but they still come up over and over and over and over. I pull out the seedlings all summer, from all of my beds.

The previous owner neglected the garden for seven years, and these seem to have rather taken over. The seedlings make up a substantial portion of my compost pile. At least they are easy to pull.

On Oct 31, 2006, carrielamont from Milton, MA (Zone 6a) wrote:

Now that the platycodons that we interplanted it with are pretty much gone for the year, we can see the Myosotis again, and it's still green. What a happy surprise! It does seem to have spread a bit, but it has a concrete path on one side and a lawn on the other, so there's really no place bad it can go. I love this plant.

On Oct 27, 2005, renwings from Sultan, WA (Zone 8a) wrote:

I love this plant. It is scattered all about the perennial beds, rock gardns and in the lawn. It stays green here all year. Its roots are not deep and it is easy to get rid of when it has encroached somewhere it shouldn't .

On Nov 8, 2004, Kim_M from Hamburg, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

Something about this plant is so happy and delightful. I'm hoping to have Lots some day.

On Apr 22, 2003, Zanymuse from Scotia, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Once established this plant reseeds freely and will pop up almost everywhere in the garden. Control is easy though as it tends to be easy to pull up. On the downside, if you allow it to go to seed the seeds stick to clothing and animals and are a real nuisense to pull off.

On Oct 16, 2002, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

This plant self-sows anywhere it is happy; allowing new seedlings to develop will give a good range of flower colors and timing. The flowers continue to appear on growing stalks, giving the appearance of a cloud of blue surrounding spring bulbs to a magnificent effect.

The foliage becomes very tattered after winter, and old leaves should be carefully removed to help decrease fungal infections in wet spring conditions.

Planting seeds immediately after they are ready (late spring) ensures new plants will be big enough to bloom the following year, but the flowering will not be as prolific or prolonged. Delaying planting until fall often results in delayed flowering, but ultimately bigger and better flowering when the plants are better-established.

... read more

On Aug 7, 2002, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

From the Successful Gardening book...

"Forget-me-nots combine well with spring bulbs. An attractive combination is blue forget-me-nots with yellow tulips. After most spring bulbs fade, the forget-me-nots continue to bloom and hide the dying foliage of the bulbs."

On Mar 16, 2001, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Forget-me-not prefers partial shade and a well-drained loamy soil. Tiny blue flowers appear in early spring.

The plant is short-lived and often acts as a biennial or annual. Allow it to self-sow so that replacement plants are always available.

This is the "true" Forget-Me-Not, not to be confused with Cynoglossum amabile (Chinese Forget-Me-Not).