PlantFiles: Forget-Me-Not
Myosotis sylvatica

Family: Boraginaceae
Genus: Myosotis (my-oh-SO-tis) (Info)
Species: sylvatica (sil-VAT-ee-kuh) (Info)

Synonym:Myosotis alpestris
Synonym:Myosotis oblongata

Biennials
Groundcovers

Pale Pink
Light Blue
Medium Blue

Velvet/Fuzzy-Textured

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

By Galanthophile

Thumbnail #6 of Myosotis sylvatica by wannadanc

By Lilith
Thumbnail #7 of Myosotis sylvatica by Lilith

Neutral hardpanacres On Sep 9, 2014, hardpanacres from Voorheesville, NY wrote:

I found this in bloom on September 8 at approx 1500 ft in the vicinity of Albany, NY. I was surprised as I had noticed it in early spring at this location over many years. Everything I've come across has it flowering from early spring to early summer. Is it unusual for it to bloom this late in the year?

Positive vjp12 On Jun 28, 2014, vjp12 from Springville, UT wrote:

I love the forget me nots I have growing in containers. I want to plant them, but wondered if they would grow under a pine tree? I know there are few things that will grow there and wondered if the needles would kill them.

Positive coriaceous On Jan 28, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

These make wonderful sheets of true blue underplanting everything and unifying the woodland garden in May (Boston Z 6a). I don't find they can outcompete many garden plants, they just fill in the spaces between the other perennials. The blue complements every other color. I don't find pink or white forget-me-nots nearly as effective.

They like cool conditions with light shade and consistent soil moisture, and they hate hot humid summers. I treat them as biennials. Without irrigation, many seedlings starting from seed shed in June will die in summer droughts. In the southeast, this species doesn't do well south of Z8 not because of the lack of winter chill but because the summer heat and humidity encourage fungal diseases.

Most plants die after going to seed, and those that don't never bloom as well the next spring. In my garden, I pull the plants up in June when seed has ripened and pile them somewhere dry, then spread the dried debris on beds when the summer heat breaks in mid-August, to sow seeds and give the seedlings time to bulk up before frost.

Sometimes, for no reason I can discern, a planting will fail in part of the garden and need to be re-started from seed taken from elsewhere.

Under garden conditions, this species is much less demanding of consistent soil moisture than the water forget-me-not (Myosotis scorpioides), which is ecologically damaging to natural wetlands. Woodland forget-me-nots (Myosotis sylvatica) need garden conditions to prosper and do not invade natural areas in the Northeast.

Positive BobSki On Jun 24, 2013, BobSki from Hatfield, PA wrote:

To the person who gave a negative comment... These are awesome plants that need no care! I love it when the volunteers pop up in unexpected places. No bloom is a bad bloom! Do note that I am also the type of gardener who does not plant in a straight line.

Positive JasperDale On Mar 31, 2012, JasperDale from Long Beach, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

Not sure why this is only listed to Zone 8. I've had this growing for years in my zone 10a garden. It usually peters out by the time the hot summer weather arrives, but it does reseed for me, however not to a fault or to the point of being invasive. Does best with morning sun and afternoon shade here. Definitely a harninger of spring and superb with primulas, impatiens, and spring bulbs.

Positive kentstar On Apr 25, 2010, kentstar from Ravenna, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

Awesome perrenial for me! Stays nice and compact, abundant true blue, tiny flowers. Funny that mine seem to do better in more sun than shade! I don't mind if it spreads in my garden beds because it's lovely and tough!

Positive bigred On Jan 6, 2010, bigred from Ashdown, AR (Zone 8a) wrote:

I love my little dwarf 4-get-me-nots. Not a problem for me becoming weedy. Just the opposite. Hard to keep them going in my zone. I'm wishing for them to self-sew in mass but never happens.

Positive saya On Feb 5, 2009, saya from Heerlen
Netherlands (Zone 8b) wrote:

I know it reseeds..Once planted and let it go to seed, your garden will never be without it. Its name suits it well. But..they give early spring color and look pretty with spring bulbs. Its roots do not go deep, just on the surface. About end of May they are gone..pull out the declined (and already dried) plants (goes easy), shake out the seeds and enjoy its many babies next spring. My garden will never be without Forget-Me-Not, but I like that.
White and pink varieties will mostly flower blue after reseeding.

Positive girlndocs On May 23, 2008, girlndocs from Tacoma, WA wrote:

When I moved into this house I found a couple demure little forget me not plants growing in the lawn, shoveled them out and plopped them in a bed and forgot about it. It took those little starts about two years to turn that section of bed into a carpet of happy blue every spring. They seed with explosive force, sending seeds shooting everywhere.

They aren't hard for me to keep out of the other beds; I simply mulch over or weed out seedlings before they have a chance to bloom and seed. I've been able to give away lots of baby plants and lots of little bouquets. They're maintenance free except for yanking up the rocky-looking mother plants once they've gone to seed.

If I had one quibble with them it would be that they spread themselves out luxuriantly in spots that will be empty after they seed and die, so I have to take that into account when I plan my beds.

Neutral milkbonehappy On May 21, 2008, milkbonehappy from Chester, VT (Zone 5a) wrote:

Grew this from a seed packet - I wanted a ground cover for a shady area. The first year some green foliage came up, I wasn't even sure it was not a weed, but this spring (one season after planting from seed) it was the first plant to be green after a very harsh winter. I still suspected it was a weed until it finally bloomed here in zone 5 in April. I am happy with the beautiful but tiny blue blooms, the foliage however is unremarkable. I don't know how attractive it will be as a ground cover after the blooms are spent. Positives- easy to grow, pretty blue color in spring, will self seed and maintain itself without much tending. Negative - lackluster foliage after blooms fade, possibly invasive, blooms are tiny.

Negative Jennigma On May 19, 2008, Jennigma from Elkins Park, PA (Zone 7a) wrote:

You mean there are people who grow this on purpose?

I haven't let one go to seed in my yard through three seasons now, but they still come up over and over and over and over. I pull out the seedlings all summer, from all of my beds.

The previous owner neglected the garden for seven years, and these seem to have rather taken over. The seedlings make up a substantial portion of my compost pile. At least they are easy to pull.

Positive carrielamont On Oct 31, 2006, carrielamont from Bedford, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Now that the platycodons that we interplanted it with are pretty much gone for the year, we can see the Myosotis again, and it's still green. What a happy surprise! It does seem to have spread a bit, but it has a concrete path on one side and a lawn on the other, so there's really no place bad it can go. I love this plant.

Positive renwings On Oct 27, 2005, renwings from Sultan, WA (Zone 8a) wrote:

I love this plant. It is scattered all about the perennial beds, rock gardns and in the lawn. It stays green here all year. Its roots are not deep and it is easy to get rid of when it has encroached somewhere it shouldn't .

Positive Kim_M On Nov 8, 2004, Kim_M from Hamburg, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

Something about this plant is so happy and delightful. I'm hoping to have Lots some day.

Neutral Zanymuse On Apr 22, 2003, Zanymuse from Scotia, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Once established this plant reseeds freely and will pop up almost everywhere in the garden. Control is easy though as it tends to be easy to pull up. On the downside, if you allow it to go to seed the seeds stick to clothing and animals and are a real nuisense to pull off.

Positive lupinelover On Oct 16, 2002, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

This plant self-sows anywhere it is happy; allowing new seedlings to develop will give a good range of flower colors and timing. The flowers continue to appear on growing stalks, giving the appearance of a cloud of blue surrounding spring bulbs to a magnificent effect.

The foliage becomes very tattered after winter, and old leaves should be carefully removed to help decrease fungal infections in wet spring conditions.

Planting seeds immediately after they are ready (late spring) ensures new plants will be big enough to bloom the following year, but the flowering will not be as prolific or prolonged. Delaying planting until fall often results in delayed flowering, but ultimately bigger and better flowering when the plants are better-established.

Self-sown colonies show good diversity of flower color: all shades of pink and blue are possible, some plants display pink and blue flowers at the same time. Some plants have white flowers. The color does not come true when allowed to freely pollinate, however.

Neutral smiln32 On Aug 7, 2002, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

From the Successful Gardening book...

"Forget-me-nots combine well with spring bulbs. An attractive combination is blue forget-me-nots with yellow tulips. After most spring bulbs fade, the forget-me-nots continue to bloom and hide the dying foliage of the bulbs."

Neutral Terry On Mar 16, 2001, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Forget-me-not prefers partial shade and a well-drained loamy soil. Tiny blue flowers appear in early spring.

The plant is short-lived and often acts as a biennial or annual. Allow it to self-sow so that replacement plants are always available.

This is the "true" Forget-Me-Not, not to be confused with Cynoglossum amabile (Chinese Forget-Me-Not).

Auburn, Alabama
Woodbridge, Virginia
Wytheville, Virginia
North Sultan, Washington
Spokane, Washington
Tacoma, Washington (2 reports)
Charleston, West Virginia