PlantFiles: Dragon's Head
Dracocephalum moldavica

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Dracocephalum (dray-koh-SEF-uh-lum) (Info)
Species: moldavica (mol-DAV-ee-kuh) (Info)

Not Applicable

By crazy_gardener
Thumbnail #4 of Dracocephalum moldavica by crazy_gardener

Positive Shirrush On Jan 21, 2013, Shirrush from Ramat Gan
Israel wrote:

When I visited Paris' Jardin des Plantes last October, a few seeds of Dracocephalum moldavica stuck to my fingers and found their way into my coat pocket. Most of them germinated readily in less than a week (the pocket lint didn't). They have since grown to a height of 20 cm., but those I had replanted in the Community Garden were immediately set upon by Molluscs and destroyed. Since I was left with too few plants in a container on my balcony, I took a pair of cuttings today. Do these have any chance of taking root?
I made a cup of tea with some Long Jin and the trimmings from these cuttings, and it tasted really nice, so I really want to have this First-in-Israel-After-2000-Years-of-Exile seed harvest, in order to be able to upscale the "Harry Potter Mint" operation in the next year!

Neutral bluespiral On Jan 30, 2007, bluespiral from (Zone 7a) wrote:

Germination details - Sow at 70*F, germinates within 4 - 7 days.

See my comment in Gentiana septemfida that gives Rob's technique for his baggy method.

Positive seedsaverWI On Jan 9, 2005, seedsaverWI from Green Bay, WI (Zone 4b) wrote:

I planted this for the first time in 2004. direct-sow into soil was successful. Flowers are small, but if you look close you can tell why it is called "dragon's head". Harvested seeds in fall frombrowning plants, simply stripped the stems, and sifted out the seeds. Foliage has wonderful lemon scent. I plan to keep this one in my yard.

Neutral Baa On Nov 21, 2001, Baa wrote:

Variable little annual from Central Europe as far east as China and as far north as Siberia.

Has lance like or ovate-triangular, toothed, slightly greyish, scented leaves. Bears hooded, blue or purple flowers which attract many bees.

Flowers June-August

Likes a well drained, fertile soil in sun.

Personal Experience

This little fellow has been growing in my garden for 5 years, a friend sent the ancestor to me. Slugs and ducks have devastated its growth and very often I'm left with a single stem, 3 leaves and 2-3 flowers all reaching about 3 inches high.

Despite its many hardships each year its always produces several seed and re-sows itself in the same pot to continue what now appears to be its families tradition of being an appetiser to large pests.

I really must do something about it so that next year I can post a decent photo of it.

Kiowa, Colorado