PlantFiles: Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Brandywine'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Brandywine
Additional cultivar information: (aka Pink Brandywine; Brandywine, Pink)

» View all varieties of Tomatoes

Thumbnail #6 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by bpgarden

By LenaBeanNZ
Thumbnail #7 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by LenaBeanNZ

Negative momnotmom On Aug 22, 2014, momnotmom from Riegelsville, PA wrote:

Growing 2 plants in 5-gallon buckets this year. Plenty of fruit, but the first batch on both plants had a brown-grey area around the blossom end that grew as the fruit developed. Maybe blossom-end rot?

Not sure- this was the only variety I planted this year that had this problem- the other two were fine, and everyone got the same soil in their bucket. A few of the later fruits on one plant seem to be ripening properly, but the other plant is still doing it. Been fertilizing consistently, even tried a lime "lavage". And each plant had a teaspoon of groundup eggshells thrown in when they were set in their bucket.

Won't bother with these again.

Positive steelheadr On Aug 14, 2014, steelheadr from Bountiful, UT wrote:

Big plants, big tomatoes & great flavor. 1-2 pound fruits with minimal splitting or bizarre shapes. Perfect for covering an entire sandwich. Flicking blooms helps the set. We'll keep planting these, but we're also going to try NAR & Liz Birt as an option for big slicers.

Positive cephalo On Sep 6, 2013, cephalo from Huntsdale, MO wrote:

Tough to grow, but in my opinion the best tasting tomato. Very complex flavor that is not overly sweet. A perfectly balanced tomato. If you get one good one per plant its worth it.

Positive CaliforniaGuy On Aug 4, 2013, CaliforniaGuy from Lakewood, CA wrote:

I got this from a big box store, and it has been my "must grow" every year. Great tomatoes. Production could be better...but could also be worse. Seems to hate hot weather.

Positive tpt_guy On Mar 24, 2013, tpt_guy from Foothill Farms, CA wrote:

I grew a Pink Brandywine for the first time last year. I bought it at a nursery and it was marketed mistakenly as "Red Brandywine" but but it obviously wasn't, as it had potato leaves and pink fruit. I don't know if it was the "Sudduth/Quisenberry" strain, so I'm reviewing it here. It was, hands-down, the best tomato I've ever grown. The flavor was fantastic - sweet with a balanced acid and fully of tomatoey goodness. Even my wife, who does not like fresh tomatoes, is in love with these!

I had no real difficulty with yields, getting about 15 tomatoes that were over a pound, and many more in the 8-12 oz range. It was late-maturing. As an observation, it seemed set fruit better when the weather was cooler - significantly cooler than other tomatoes would require. A large amount of fruit set when we had a spell of relatively chilly weather in the middle of the summer, so I planted it early this year hoping to get same before the summer heat arrives. Let's hope it works!

Positive foose4string On Mar 7, 2012, foose4string from EARLEVILLE, MD (Zone 7b) wrote:

Love the Brandywine taste. Poor yields, which is typical Brandywine. Sudduth's Strain doesn't seem to be any real improvement as far as I could tell. If anything, the regular ol' Brandywine does better for me. Brandy Boy has replaced Brandywines in my garden.

Neutral rspoilsport On Sep 5, 2011, rspoilsport from Yellow Springs, OH wrote:

Rates near the top in flavor, but I get poor yields both in number of fruit and in having to cut away bad portions. Palestinian is a better variety.

Negative HarmonyGardener On Feb 24, 2011, HarmonyGardener from Tooele, UT wrote:

I raised 8 different heirloom tomatoes last year and Brandywine came in dead last. Had a lot of blossom drop (if I need to spend extra time helping the plant reproduce, I'm not interested) and tons of blossom end rot and cracking. All 8 varieties had the exact same soil, light, watering and care. None of the other varieties had any blossom end rot and only 1 other variety had a very small amount of cracking. By the time I cut off the ends and the cracks, there wasn't much tomato left. I won't be growing Brandywines again. In blind taste tests among the family, it came in "average."

Negative Californian On Jan 21, 2011, Californian from Fullerton, CA wrote:

I have planted Brandywines half a dozen times, including plain Brandywine, Pink Brandywine, Suddeth Strain, and Cowlicks Strain, and they all mostly rot before they ripen, either from blossom end rot, sun scald, or insect damage. The few usable fruit I did get were good, but its not worth growing them. Maybe the cool nights we get in California are responsible for them taking too long to ripen so they rot first.

Positive rbrown974 On Sep 26, 2009, rbrown974 from Newark Valley, NY wrote:

Weight-wise, Brandywine ranges from 1-2 lbs. Shape-wise, itís a good-looking tomato Ė round, smooth-skinned, and uniform from fruit-to-fruit. Color-wise, it is a blotchy green-red. But it is delicious if allowed to get dead-ripe (red-all-over). Brandywine is sunscald-prone so hardening off is important as is providing shade to young plants on sunny days. (The leaves turn white if a tomato has been sun-scalded.) The Brandywine vine is proportionately heavy to the fruit. The fruit is therefore secure on the vine and doesnít fall off. It is not resistant to Early Blight. I got a good yield in 2009 but used a lot of spray. I give Brandywine a positive rating but personally plan to switch 100% to blight-resistant varieties.

Negative bolino On Jul 28, 2009, bolino from Swanton, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

Plant was very late producing blossoms, and no tomatoes so far this season, when other plants are loaded and just starting to ripen. Will not try this cultivar again, I like eating tomatoes!

Positive BayAreaTropics On Aug 29, 2007, BayAreaTropics from Hayward, CA wrote:

Brandywine always seems to win the local Tomato contests. It must like cool summers since only the bay area and those in northern short summer areas have good things to say about it!
Haven't tried it myself...

Negative Richinator On Aug 29, 2007, Richinator from Broomfield, CO wrote:

I was glad to see that someone has reported good luck with this strain in Broomfield, Colorado. I had to dig mine out, roots and all, and throw it out after the leaves started to yellow. The main stalk had a brown ring inside that made me think it was bitten by fusarium. A purple cherokee and some principe borghese plants in the same plot have done well. It's probably time to rip out some of the lawn and begin rotating crops though...

Positive wadefromnj On Aug 8, 2006, wadefromnj from Englishtown, NJ (Zone 6b) wrote:

I really dont see what the fuss is about. Its not like its the best tomato I ever had --- but here it grew very well. Is very healthy and productive. I used a lot of horse manure this year, maybe thats the trick?? Nevertheless I do reccomend it for nice large good tasting tomatos. I will grow it again next year.

Neutral carminator1 On Jul 18, 2006, carminator1 from mobile, AL (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is a good tasting tomato but the reason why I am giving it a neutral rating is because it's poor production, I don't have a lot of backyard space so for me production is a must. The 2 plants set up tons of flowers but because of the hight temps and humidity almost all the flowers dried up, so if you have limited space like me don't plant this tomato.

Positive dvrmte On May 6, 2006, dvrmte from Pelzer, SC wrote:

great tasting, average yields of very large tomatoes. i am in zone 7 of south carolina which due to humidity and high temps is rough on tomatoes. i plant extremely early and keep the plants supplied with an even moisture supply. planting early beats the heat so i get a good fruit set and an even water supply and liming the soil beat the blossom end rot. this plant is very susceptable to disease so spraying fungicide is mandatory if you want higher yield. i just plant them to get a few weeks of harvest from them.

Positive ainulindale On Mar 29, 2006, ainulindale from Denver, CO (Zone 5b) wrote:

I will never ever ever eat another hybrid tomato again. Less disease resistant? Yes, but proper crop rotation and watering the soil instead of the leaves helps keep problems to a minimum. Tend to crack? Yes, but watering consistently will avoid it. Best tomato you will ever put in your mouth? Yes, yes, yes! Will I plant other things that mature faster and are more prolific at the same time? Yes, but I will still be living for the day my first Brandywine ripens each year.

Positive Suze_ On Mar 28, 2006, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

Not prolific in my climate, but very good tasting.

Positive oscar_1 On Sep 19, 2005, oscar_1 from Dublin
Ireland wrote:

Delighted to report Brandywine growing well, both indoors and outdoors, in Dublin, Ireland. No one believes it especially since this was my first ever effort at growing tomatoes! (Summer 2005 was not very wet here but was rarely over 21 degrees C.) The one indoor Brandywine grew over 7ft and ripened well to a deep red with fruits that are authentically differently flavoured but perhaps a little soft. Most of the outdoor ones are still ripening in September and these actually taste better, I believe. About 11 oddly-sized (grapefruit to fig) fruits on each plant. The seeds were planted in mid-March and the four outsiders were put out at the end of a cold May. All I fed them was blood/bonemeal mix and farm manure - no special tomato food. They performed as well and look much more spectacular than the other two tomato varieties I planted - Sub-Arctic Plenty and Gartenperle. It must be global warming . . .

Positive unkadan On Jul 24, 2005, unkadan from N.E., WI (Zone 3b) wrote:

I have tryed this variety for a few years,,we get a "good"(warm) long tomatoe season about every 3 years here in this true zone 3,, I think it's worth the effort. The best tomatoe for fresh use I have found,,ugly yes, cracks,pink to orange color,poor riping at times,,,, but the sweetness and size are worth the continued replanting of a few every year. Actually the only type I use anymore that requires more than 70 days.

Positive Gayle1940 On Jul 13, 2005, Gayle1940 from Waverly, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Last year was my first year to grow Brandywine. It was truly delicious. Although the first fruit developed blossom end rot, the subsequent fruit was fine. Negatives - it is not overly prolific and is prone to splitting. The taste was worth it. Everyone loved it. I planted in another location this year and the plant is not producing as well. However, the excessive drought conditions we are having in Tennessee may have something to do with that.

Positive Jazzpunkin On May 19, 2005, Jazzpunkin from Springfield, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

This is a very late tomato. Later than my regular brandywines. By the time they started to come in I was swamped with tomatoes so I am not sure I can give them a fair judgement. The flavor is good and production seemed adequate.. Nice large fruits. I didn't seem to have any more disease with this than my other plants

Positive rjc On Mar 22, 2005, rjc from Bloomfield, NJ wrote:

I have grown this plant for the last three years and can personally say have a most terrific flavour. Only get about 12 tomatoes a plant but well worth it! I also have grown Caspian Pink and Soldaki, they both seem to crack a bit but just as tasty as Brandywine. I plant only heirlooms along with a few Big Beefs. They grow HUGH.

Negative berrygirl On Mar 19, 2005, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I grew this tomato for the first- and last time this past summer.
It did not like our hot, humid Georgia weather. What few friuts I got were just OK flavored.

Negative suzy_qu3 On Dec 1, 2004, suzy_qu3 from East Chatham, NY wrote:

My least favorite of the fifteen varieties that I grow. They are so prone to cracking (being so heavily lobed) that most of the friut is inedible. They also seem prone to nutrient deficiencies. I don't have the greatest soil (very acidic clay) but I do what I can. My other varities produce all season but these drop their flowers and start turning purple after one or two sets of fruit. My husband got one yellow brandywine plant from the greenhouse that did OK. The six pack of reds that he got didn't produce a thing. This is the third year that we've gotten poor results, but some of my neighbors do well with them. My husband blames the weather. I'd rather not bother with them at all.

Positive JefeQuicktech On Oct 19, 2004, JefeQuicktech from Moorhead, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

It is a favorite for a reason...great taste.

I find it does best trellised using hanging twines rather than my concrete mesh cages. I allow three main stems and prune all suckers. This tomato will commonly grow 7 to 8 feet tall.

Positive billbird2111 On Aug 31, 2004, billbird2111 from Sacramento, CA wrote:

Thank God for this database. I now know what I have growing in our tomato garden.

This was an incredible year for growing heirloom tomatoes, which was my first, but not the last.

We had this strange tomato that my wife and I could not identify, but this one plant would produce red, pink and ORANGE tomatoes (the same plant) that looked bigger than beefstakes. After researching here, I'm certain this is a Brandywine. The taste is incredibly sweet.

I think our heirloom collection is going to force the more commercialized varieties out of our small backyard. Who wants an Early Girl, Better Boy or ACE when you can plant amazing varieties like a Sweet 100, Green Zebra, Brandywine or Caspian Pink?

Gardeners: Preparing raised beds (2 to 3 feet high) and filling them with a yard or two of planter mix from a local nursery will result in incredible harvests. We've made gallons of salsa and tomato sauce, and we still can't give away enough!

I'm not a canner. Perhaps I should be . . .

Positive tommyz On Aug 11, 2004, tommyz from Chicago, IL (Zone 6a) wrote:

This is my first year growing this Tomato. So far this year it has been a big success in Chicago.

It was the first tomato plant (full size) out of my garden to produce a ripe tomato. The first ripe tomatoe arrived on July 30th.

I am very pleased with the flavour. Yea they aren't perfectly round shaped, but they taste very good.

I would say "go ahead and plant this in the midwest."

Negative PATKDS On May 10, 2004, PATKDS from Menifee, CA wrote:

This is the 2nd time I am trying Brandywines. Last year I had a beautiful plant, many blossoms, not one tomato. All blossoms fell off. So far this year, the same thing is occuring. Am at a loss at what to do. Shook the plant, used blossom spray on some, left the others, but still no luck. The plant, near as I can tell, is healthy.
The other non heirloom plants are doing fine. Anyone have any suggestions?? More nitrogen perhaps?? Am from Riverside, Ca. warm days, cool nights, no humidity.

Neutral farmerboy On May 5, 2004, farmerboy from Central Point, OR wrote:

I grew the pink Brandywine two years in a row. I had lots of volunteers the second year from the first year. Most of the plants were trained to fan out on a field fence trellis 4 ft. high with 4"x6"squares. The ones trained on the fence did better than the ones in a cage or left on mulch at ground level. Fruit production was average when compared to other Beef Steak types I have raised. The fruits are 2-3 lbs. and had a pleasant but different flavor. The fruit kept off the ground didn't have ripening or rotting problems.

On the down side, I found they were prone to cracking if not watered consistently each day, and highly susceptible to black spot leaf fungus starting at ground level and working its way up the plant. The fruit has the wrinkled and odd shapes normally associated with Beef Steak varieties.

Neutral jwseattle On May 2, 2004, jwseattle from Seattle, WA wrote:

It is still very early in the season, however I have noticed that the leaves of this plant are diffrent from all the other tomato's I have started (round potatoe like) they started well inside and I put them out 04/26 zone 8. All other plants have done well with the exception of the big rainbow witch are gaining no size (dark green foliage, sturdy stems) yet the first set of leaves on these seemed to turn yellow and waxy, they are however starting to develope new greener leaves, but am concerned. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Positive Bungarian On Dec 1, 2003, Bungarian from Cotton Valley, LA wrote:

This is a great tomato. I had no trouble growing it in my Louisiana garden. Huge fruit with great flavor and lots of tomatoes.

Neutral Farmerdill On Nov 24, 2003, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

At this point, we are discussing several cultivars under the same heading. Pictures and most of the discussion is about the pink Branywine. This is a potato leaf beefsteak type and the most popular alhough there are several strains.

The yellow Brandy wine is also a potato leaf beefsteak type but with an entirely different flavor.

The Red Brandywine is a regular leaf, canning type of tomato. Ther is one claim that it is a descendent of the old Turner Hybrid of the 1880's

Black Brandywine has had both a regualar fruited and beefsteak fruited type reported.

Positive Thomato On Nov 23, 2003, Thomato from Albany, NY wrote:

I have grown Brandywine the last two seasons; the overall result (flavor) is worth the effort. Plants reach 36-42" caged. One main stem with three or four "suckers" at the base; these need to be trussed to keep the fruit off the ground. The first set of fruit always have a blossom end rot, rather small, but none after that. Average plant yields 18-21 tomatoes, very large (1-2lb.) with about 75% usable. The other 25% are susceptible to cracking during the ripening stage; if it's an above normal rainy period the full-sized fruit should be removed while still green or green shouldered and allowed to ripen in a bag. The plants are disease prone and can start to yellow from the bottom up; should this happen you must bite the bullet and harvest all usable fruit and carefully dispose of the bad plant. This is not a variety for early gratification; we transplant here (Albany, NY-zone 5b) around the last week of May and the first good fruit comes in mid-August (85 days). The resulting fruit is very meaty with a sweeter, less acidic taste than many others. Pick it, wash it, chunk it, a little freshly ground pepper and I haven't tasted a better tomato, and I have grown over twenty varieties in the last ten years. It's not a main-cropper but a special treat to be savored. Highly recommended for a zone 5-7 climate.

Negative DoW_Oldman On Sep 1, 2003, DoW_Oldman from St. Petersburg, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

This one came out of the gate like a race horse. However, it died before the finish. I've tried 3 different type of this gene and not one work for me here. Tried them in the early spring. The winter months, and off season. (Tampabay area of Florida.)
Olds

Positive sarahcincy On Aug 29, 2003, sarahcincy from Cincinnati, OH wrote:

I grew it last year (south Ohio, humid summers) and only got 3 fruits at the end of september. Worth it for that taste, though. Growing again this year, fruit in late August - very low yields, but superb taste. No disease problems. No splitting or blossom end rot which Early Girl and Purple Calabash both had. I you want a zillion tomatoes for canning, I'd go elsewhere - but for personal day-to day consumption, Brandywine and another earlier bearer would be perfect.

Neutral Lenjo On Jul 20, 2003, Lenjo from Mount Angel, OR (Zone 8a) wrote:

I only grew this one once and it did very well here, grew a huge bush and huge tomatoes. I didn't care for its flavor as much as other tomatoes. The next summer I was weeding out many that came back from seed.

Neutral Rootsie On Jul 19, 2003, Rootsie from Fredericton
wrote:

I grew two of these plants last season. Despite achieving a great height, they only produced three tomatoes between them. I'd post a "Negative" experience, but those three tomatoes were the best tasting I've ever grown (and I've grwn a LOT of tomatoes) I'm trying it again this year, even if I do only get one sandwich out of it, it will be worth the effort.

Negative Cajun2 On Jul 5, 2003, Cajun2 from (Carole) Cleveland, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I got my plant in at a swap, and was so excited to see the large red tomatoes. I live in Texas (Zone 8). Normally we grow tomatoes in full sun with daily watering. The plant grew tall and VERY healthy, but has not yet set fruit once. It is extremely prone to blossom end rot.

I've replaced it with a Better Boy for a fall crop of tomatoes.

Positive tgusnik On Jun 28, 2003, tgusnik from San Antonio, TX wrote:

We just put one plant out on our deck but it's done great. Fruit set was slow at first but I just shook the tomatoe cage gently each time I walked by for a week and it's covered in fruit. Our largest tomato was over three pounds.

To avoid cracking I put the plant on a automatic watering timer. It's extra money but it's worth it. My only complaint is it does take a long time for the fruit to ripen. Next year we'll definitely grow bandywine again, but will add an earlier varity to fill the gap.

Positive tomato_lady On Mar 29, 2003, tomato_lady from Crossville, TN (Zone 6a) wrote:

I live in Middle Tennessee and these plants performed beautifully for me. I planted 75 of them in my garden and none of them disappointed me. The vines were strong and vigorous. The tomatoes themselves were large and firm. I had one that weighed nearly 3 pounds. I ate it for lunch - and dinner!

We have a large number of birds in the area so I am used to picking the fruits while they are still green and letting them ripen inside. I used cardboard boxes that I can close up so the gasses emitted will ripen the fruits faster. I check them morning and night as part of my gardening routine.

The taste isamazing! They can beautifully! In the middle of January with 3 feet of snow outside I could open a jar in my kitchen, close my eyes and be transported back to my summer garden.

Negative cblues On Mar 11, 2003, cblues wrote:

West Kootenay, BC, Canada..
In 2002, an extraordinary year for growing here, this tomato was generally a poor performer.
Large fruits were late to ripen, few in quantity, prone to cracking despite careful watering, and not worthy of the hoopla concerning flavour.
Overall a big disappointment and not worth the effort.

Neutral aceayers On Feb 6, 2003, aceayers from Casey, IA wrote:

I have grown these for several years in Iowa and still don't know what all the fuss is about. I sometimes wonder if the seed stock is tainted from all the crosses that have been made. Last year I ordered Joyces strain Brandywine and ended up with a couple of cherry tomato??? Still searching.

Positive darius On Sep 15, 2002, darius from So.App.Mtns.
United States (Zone 5b) wrote:

I love the taste of this tomato! Yes, some of the fruit does crack when ripening fully on the vines, but it seems to me an abundance of rain or watering at least adds to the problem. (When I water, I increase the amount over 3 days so the fruit doesn't take a great growing leap and burst at the seams.) I do grow other heirloom tomatoes but prefer this one above all (so far anyway, LOL!) and they do well in my climate of western North Carolina.

Positive sdonovan On Aug 20, 2002, sdonovan wrote:

I'm growing Brandywine this year. We have hot humid summers here in Ottawa, Canada, and it seems to do well in this climate. I had some problems with blossom end rot early on, but this has cleared up. I've had no problems with disease at all. I've gotten big juicy reddish-pink tomatoes with excellent flavour and few seeds.
I haven't had any problems with splitting, but I've been monitoring water very closely. It's produced medium yields so far.

Negative cartman437 On Aug 19, 2002, cartman437 wrote:

In my area disease resistance is a must. It has been my experience that this variety has no disease tolerance at all. My plants started out great, but at about the time of the first fruit set, plants started yellowing from the bottom up and no amount of fungicide could control the problem and plants died with almost no ripened tomatoes. My hybrid plants(Big Beef and Jetstar) within 6 feet thrived.

Positive Leni On Aug 18, 2002, Leni wrote:

This variety produces very well here in the San Fernando Valley section of Los Angeles. I grow in a comunity garden center and it is a long time favorite here. It gets very hot in LA and at times the humidty is less than 3%. Brandywine produces good flavor tomatos long after the others have quit.

Negative JoannaD On Jul 22, 2002, JoannaD wrote:

Another green thumb's down for the Brandywine. Though I am only about 2 hours from "Amish" country, this tomato doesn't flourish here in Southern Delaware.

It is hot and humid here, and I have also seen the sensitivity to fruit set. Very, very poor. In addition, commmercial tomato potting mix and good fertilizer still yielded blossom end rot, though the other tomatoes are ok.

I have yet to get a whole fruit from this plant (the yellow variety.) I say, unless you've already had good results with Brandywine, don't waste your time.

Negative madman On Jun 6, 2002, madman wrote:

Brandywine is NOT a good tomato for the Southeastern U.S. I have grown it for two years in coastal South Carolina and have not been happy with it. The tomatoes are large, but few in number and crack easily. More tomatoes were lost to cracking than were harvested. For all the hoopla attached to this tomato, I simply didn't find it's taste to be worth the effort. There are better tomatoes for the South, that taste equally good.

Neutral melody On May 16, 2002, melody from Benton, KY (Zone 7a) wrote:

More 'tomato myths' have been told about Brandywine than any other. It has been tacked with the Amish Heirloom reputation,but in reality is a commercial variety.It's a great tomato if you don't live in the South,where high temps and humidity result in poor fruit set.

In years where it gets proper rain and tempratures,it can be wonderful,otherwise,it is simply average.Best grown in it's home area of the North Eastern seaboard.

I've had limited luck with it here in South West KY and usually plant another Potato Leafed pink with better adaptation to our climate.

Neutral lupinelover On May 9, 2002, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

One of most famous heirlooms. Consistently rated highest in flavor.

Tomatoes are so big they ripen very unevenly: the bottom is over-ripe and rotting while the shoulders are just beginning to ripen. Fruit MUST be picked before it ripens and allow to finish ripening off the vine.

Plant resists blights but is not wilt resistant.

Smiths, Alabama