Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Roma VF'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Roma VF

Jamestown, Ohio

Grand Mound, Washington

negative

On Sep 27, 2010, sketchkat06 from Lawndale, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

Well, despite a couple of first time good on my part this variety of tomato grew very well. Number one this is a determinate so you don't necessarily have to prune for suckers. Once I realized that and stopped pruning the suckers off I saw they didn't get too crazy.
As for the fruit - I have found I'm not fond of it at all. Tastes just like the bland store bought ones. I'm sure they'll be fine for making seasoned sauces once the whole batch ripens, but I won't be growing them again. I have too little space to grow something that tastes like the store tomatoes that I'm trying to avoid.

On Feb 19, 2010, dlbailey from Central Valley, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

This has been a standard paste tomato for the last few decades for a reason. It is very productive and has a fairly good taste. Produced all Summer and into the Fall in the Central Valley.

On Apr 28, 2008, fredgamble from Santa Barbara, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

Enormous harvest of blemish free fruit.

On Sep 27, 2005, fwfarm from Lebanon, OR (Zone 7b) wrote:

This one always got some kind of disease for me (go figure). The hybrid pastes always did much better, so I've stopped growing this one and am still looking for the ultimate OP paste.

On Jun 1, 2004, melody from Benton, KY (Zone 7a) wrote:

Decent enough for salsa and drying. Production was really good though.

Too dry and tasteless for fresh eating, but adds body to soups and sauces.

On Feb 27, 2003, afghanshark from Austin, TX wrote:

I garden in zone 8 and this is one of my workhorse tomatoes for the summer. You have your choice with this tomato; keep it a little dry and improve the flavor, or keep it moist and increase the yield. There is a lot of variation with this strain; your best bet is to get seed from a reputable source and grow it yourself.

On Feb 1, 2003, Rootsie from Fredericton
wrote:

I grew these for several years. Great for cooking, but a little bland for eating fresh. Good fruit later in the season, but the first flush is very prone to blossom end rot. They are not too moist, so they freeze well.

On May 9, 2002, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

One of the best for paste. The plant is determinate, and can be induced to re-flower and fruit if cut back severely after harvest; next crop will be ready in 20-30 days.

Resists most diseases. Good all-purpose tomato for limited space, or for specialized uses in canning or drying: one of the best. Readily available as seed or seedlings.